13 Posts

Arcadia Quest: Inferno» Forums » General

Subject: AQ and AQ:I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry D'haeyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
My question is, is it worth buying the regular version of AQ when you have ordered AQ:I kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brooks
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogjuice wrote:
My question is, is it worth buying the regular version of AQ when you have ordered AQ:I kickstarter?

Worth is kind of in the eye of the beholder (it's subjective). They're each their own game/campaign and may interact well with each other, but if you don't like AQ:I or are not craving more, there wouldn't be a reason to purchase more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry D'haeyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
Frisches wrote:
Frogjuice wrote:

Worth is kind of in the eye of the beholder (it's subjective). They're each their own game/campaign and may interact well with each other, but if you don't like AQ:I or are not craving more, there wouldn't be a reason to purchase more.

I've played it and I really like AQ, a friend of mine had the KS version of it. The reason I never bought it was that it seemed expensive for just the base game, while the KS version really offered alot. However, now with inferno on the way, it seems to me that the base game expands quite a bit too. Thats why i was wondering if buying it would add alot of bang for my buck.

if you are wondering, I can buy it new for about 90 euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw a dissenting opinion: not worth it.

AQ and AQ:I have similar game mechanics. AQ:I is slightly more complex with its Damnation mechanic.

If you have KS AQ:I, you will have lots of heroes, so the heroes from vanilla AQ are just drops in the bucket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry D'haeyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
Esvath wrote:
I'll throw a dissenting opinion: not worth it.

AQ and AQ:I have similar game mechanics. AQ:I is slightly more complex with its Damnation mechanic.

If you have KS AQ:I, you will have lots of heroes, so the heroes from vanilla AQ are just drops in the bucket.

NP
How about the extra campaign I would get, or do you feel one AQ gets enough enjoyment out of it? I havent played long enough to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go further and suggest something different:

1) Wait.

You're getting AQ:I, the KS edition. Play that several times. You don't need any original AQ stuff with it (except for perhaps that fall of arcadia campaign). But really, you'll have a TON of stuff to play. After you've played a few campaigns, you'll know if you want more scenarios or not, because that is what original AQ will boil down to - More scenarios. (well...more heroes too, but you already have a metric ton with a KS AQ:I).

So, yeah. Wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're getting (or already received) Inferno KS, then there's really no reason to rush out and buy AQ.

You'll have sooooo much replayability in the KS version of AQ with the various campaigns and buttloads of heroes, that you'd be hard-pressed to feel like you need more variety anytime soon.

I don't see AQ disappearing from the shelves in the near future, so you'll certainly have time to decide over the coming months if you want to fork out more cash.

I've had AQ and Beyond the Grave (with a few single hero buys) for over a year now, and it's still fun and varied each time, regardless if a campaign or a couple standalone scenarios.

I'm thrilled to get all the new goodies in Inferno, to be sure, but the original AQ still hasn't lost its shine. (plus, it's a really fun game to paint, with those gorgeous models!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry D'haeyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
I think ill follow your advice and just wait. Save my money... who am I kidding, ill spend it on something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say that for 90 euros it is not worth it. If it comes down to the 60s then I would say grab it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many good suggestions so far. Waiting until you have a better idea is wise. You will probably get to the point where you don't need to ask: you'll know whether you want it or not.

But also, if your friend has it, then just use their copy. In my gaming group we share games quite happily.

AQ for you means another campaign + upgrade deck. The extra heroes are a small bonus compared to the tons of heroes you got with this KS.
Since you played it already, you will be able to tell whether you really prefer a different setting (Orcs, Goblins, Minotaurs) and a slightly simpler campaign.
Personally, I think AQ is great to introduce new players to the game, while AQ:I is the next step (but hey, I haven't played AQ:I yet).

I also like Beyond the Grave the most and I'm happy I bought it as well.
Keep in mind that Beyond the Grave is meant to be played with AQ and not with AQ:I. So you'll have to buy AQ in order to play BtG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
I would go further and suggest something different:

Wait.

You're getting AQ:I, the KS edition. Play that several times. You don't need any original AQ stuff with it (except for perhaps that fall of arcadia campaign). But really, you'll have a TON of stuff to play. After you've played a few campaigns, you'll know if you want more scenarios or not, because that is what original AQ will boil down to - More scenarios. (well...more heroes too, but you already have a metric ton with a KS AQ:I).

Agreed. First wait and see how much you like the game.

You don't have to buy AQ for the heroes - but more tiles and scenarios and a brand new campaign are very nice. Add to that new monsters and bosses with other mechanics. It's why I bought Inferno and Beyond the Grave, having AQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry D'haeyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
supertopper wrote:
Many good suggestions so far. Waiting until you have a better idea is wise. You will probably get to the point where you don't need to ask: you'll know whether you want it or not.

But also, if your friend has it, then just use their copy. In my gaming group we share games quite happily.

AQ for you means another campaign + upgrade deck. The extra heroes are a small bonus compared to the tons of heroes you got with this KS.
Since you played it already, you will be able to tell whether you really prefer a different setting (Orcs, Goblins, Minotaurs) and a slightly simpler campaign.
Personally, I think AQ is great to introduce new players to the game, while AQ:I is the next step (but hey, I haven't played AQ:I yet).

I also like Beyond the Grave the most and I'm happy I bought it as well.
Keep in mind that Beyond the Grave is meant to be played with AQ and not with AQ:I. So you'll have to buy AQ in order to play BtG.

Sharing is No problem, for now, but the guy is moving far away this year so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.