Delve» Forums » General

Subject: Favourite Race? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is the Elf Forestfolk. Not only because I am an elfophile (is that a word?) but in Delve, the Forestfolk have two leaders, which will allow them to be very flexible and strong. Also, their racial ability allows them to gain combat or loot after rolling the dice! Very flexible indeed.

What is your favourite race?

Click the pictures below for each race and their ability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite art is kobolds. Just too cute.

My favorite team composition is forestfolk. Dice aside, I like the dual leadership idea.

My favorite special ability is wraiths. It is the most different and possibly very sneaky.

Of course, that means my favorite race is the felines. Cats always win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:

Of course, that means my favorite race is the felines. Cats always win.

That is unfair! Cats always win. #CatMasterRace

Oh, with regard to art, I really like the art to the point that I can't choose favourite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We hope to add a 5th player and race next year. Perhaps Catfolk could be a thing?! Although, I want Gnomes. I love Gnomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjors van Dam
msg tools
a 5th race is something I need, I have to many friends that want to play this! My favorite would be Kobold for their artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
We hope to add a 5th player and race next year. Perhaps Catfolk could be a thing?! Although, I want Gnomes. I love Gnomes.

Yes! Catfolk please! Cute, cuddly cat folk!

What can I bribe you with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kersey
Canada
Cochrane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lizardfolk would be cool. I do like the Gnomes though, oils have neat abilities since it's in a dungeon.

I think the wraiths are my fav. They have nice abilities and I don't have many games where they are a playable character
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bergstrom
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Zerg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we do two new races... Gnomes and Greymalkin (catfolk)? Seems like we could have a poll for this, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radrookie55 wrote:
Lizardfolk would be cool. I do like the Gnomes though, oils have neat abilities since it's in a dungeon.

I think the wraiths are my fav. They have nice abilities and I don't have many games where they are a playable character

Wraiths are my fav, too. I love the idea of dead delvers back to claim what they lost in life. I love it being just a little out of the ordinary. Kobolds are the best by looks, though they are an approximation of goblins, in a way.

I am known for trying to do off-kilter takes on genres, like with Heroes Wanted. It was interesting to just do something more traditional with a little twist.

K'thrug is my favorite thing in the game. Did you see the treasure Favor from K'thrug? It is so funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would love to have a fifth, or even sixth player option. Also, having more races to choose/random from is always great.

Brainstorming -

Catfolk - Two thieves, two mages, one brute. (No Leader)

Burst of Energy - When you place a tile, discard XP to place a second tile. Only place one delver.

Gnomes - One leader, two mages, two thieves. (No Brute)

Crafty! - Before you roll dice, discard XP to add a red die to your roll.

Lizardfolk - Two leaders, two brutes, one thief. (No Mage)

Cold Blooded - Before a Battle or Fight that you are involved in, discard XP to prevent all rerolls.

The City Guard - One Leader, two brutes, two mages. (No Thief)

Stick Together - When a room is completed with one of your delvers in it, discard XP to move one of your delvers already in play to that room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the Kobolds, but I've always been impartial to little monster races like Kobolds and Goblins. The inclusion of Wraiths is definitely really cool though.

As far as future factions, I could see a whole anthropomorphic or lycanthrope group (to play off the catfolk idea). Of course, some traditional fantasy races like Dwarves and Gnomes are always welcome. Now, what I'd love to see that I don't see often in fantasy games is an insectoid race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
King of Odonata wrote:
Of course, some traditional fantasy races like Dwarves and Gnomes are always welcome.

If you see Dwarves as a playable race, I'm going to assume that Travis Chance is dead.

However, I imagine my idea of a City Guard could easily work as a Insectoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:

Burst of Energy - When you place a tile, discard XP to place a second tile. Only place one delver.

Hmmm, I'll go with two thieves, two mages and one leader for Catfolk. They are refined people, graceful and classy. No brutes fits them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
King of Odonata wrote:
Of course, some traditional fantasy races like Dwarves and Gnomes are always welcome.

If you see Dwarves as a playable race, I'm going to assume that Travis Chance is dead.

I don't want anything that is on encounter cards to be honest. Would wanna go a little out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merethif
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
(...) I am known for trying to do off-kilter takes on genres, like with Heroes Wanted. It was interesting to just do something more traditional with a little twist.

I like your take on races in Delve - it was significant factor that made me interested enough to check it out, see reviews and eventually back it. I like traditional-yet-twisted approach to races in fantasy - for example I loved Legend of Grimrock, which has humans, minotaurs, lizarmen and insectoids, with ratlings introduced in sequel. Even though none of those are really extraordinary, the "mixture" is refreshing. And I think it's similar case in Delve: elves, kobolds or wraiths are not something you would never ever meet in any other fantasy game, but matching them together as playable factions is what needs to be done to create fresh and interesting concept. It's a very personal thing, but I'm totally not digging games with some unique races with weird names I don't even remember (Gloomhaven, I'm looking at you!).

As for the main question of that thread, I think I like forest folks most, but kobolds are close-second :-D

As for 5th player race I'd go with insectoids. They provide a chance to create some very diverse, interesting characters - for example thin and sinister mantis-like leader, rhino-beetle-like brute with heavy carapace armour; mage with large, emotionless, hypnotising dragonfly eyes and so on. Gnomes are great and all, but I think they might end up being too similar to kobolds (theme-wise).

Esvath wrote:
crinaya wrote:

Hmmm, I'll go with two thieves, two mages and one leader for Catfolk. They are refined people, graceful and classy. No brutes fits them.

Personally I know at least several cats who are 100% brutes ;-) I know a female cat that literally terrorize all dogs in a neighbourhood (one doberman included). If catfolks are based on cats I think JT Schiavo's idea of catfolks not having a leader class in their faction is more suitable. Cats don't follow orders and don't have masters! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kersey
Canada
Cochrane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm Thrug is awesome. It'd be cool to see him develop. I'm so excited to play this game and we are already thinking expansion. So bad for the wallet. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
crinaya wrote:
King of Odonata wrote:

I don't want anything that is on encounter cards to be honest. Would wanna go a little out of the box.

Was surprised to see the Dwarven Princess, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmb
No cat folk, dog folk, badger folk etc. All too often fantasy races resort to anthropomorphism and we have 'Wind in the Willows' meets Tolkien.

I like the idea of exotic, unusual creatures such as insects, invertibrates, slimes, balls of light energy, air-breathing octopuses or sentinent plants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merethif
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Mushroomfolks would be awesome IMO :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Catfolk" was actually meant as a reference to back when action phase did a "be the hero/villain" contest for Heroes Wanted. I submitted a picture of my cat for villain and ran a "Vote for Cat" campaign on Facebook and in the comments section.

I think molekin might actually be fun in a dungeon, or ogres, or insectoids. Lots of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little late to the conversation but just putting in my 2 cents that I'd love if this were bumped to 5-6 players through additional races. That's an expansion I'd definitely get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.