Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to clarify my assumptions around the terms Formation and Division as used in the rules.

(a) Most of the rules talk about Formations. My understanding is that a Formation is a group of counters with similar badging (the left side colored stripe in the case of Bull Run) that has a matching Command chit that can be put in the cup. Is this correct?

(b) The stacking rules however say that units can only stack by Division. I haven't found many other references to Division in the rules. My assumption is that in this case, Formation is the same as Division. Is this correct?

(c) I also noticed in Bull Run that the brown IX Corps units all have the same color stripe, and a single command chit for the cup, but some of the stripes have different names on them. Can these units all stack together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bel Riose
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hello,

You bring up a good question. I picked this game up last week and am soloing my way through Bull Run.

My answers to your questions:

(a) Yes, you are correct.

(b) I don't think you are correct. There are several Corps (both Union and Confederate) which have more than one Division. In these cases, I interpret the word "Formation" to refer to all the separate Divisions (which are in turn broken down into Brigades) which make up the entire Corps. However, the Rules do distinguish between a "Formation" and a "Division" -- see below.

(c) I don't think so. If you look at the Rules of Play, page 3, section 3.2.1, you'll see that the name along the left-most side of the unit counter is the DIVISION name, and the smaller name next to it (the name that you can barely read...I can hardly read it, anyway) is the BRIGADE name.

In the example given in the Rules, the unit shown is "Armisted's (that's the tiny name you can hardly read) Brigade of Pickett's (the name along the left-most side of the unit) Division of the Army of Northern Virginia's I Corps." I Corps is the "Formation."

Think of it this way: a Corps = 2+ Divisions; a Division = 2+ Brigades. So a Corps = 4+ Brigades.

To answer your specific question: IX Corps is made up of three Divisions (Reno, Stevens, and Kanawha) and 6 Brigades (Ferrero, Nagle, Christ, Farnsworth, Leasure, Scammon). These 6 separate brigades are, for all practical purposes, the IX Corps "Formation."

I read rule 7.2 (Stacking Limits) to mean that Brigades of each Division can only stack with Brigades of the same Division. For IX Corps, this means that unless the "Exception" requirements of 7.2 are met, Reno's Brigades (Ferrero, Nagle) can only stack with each other. Ditto for the three Brigades comprising Stevens' Division. Since there's only one Brigade in Kanawha's Division, it will never stack with anyone, since it will never meet the "Exception" requirements of 7.2.

The same stacking rule would, of course, apply to every other Brigade in the game.

I think the game design idea here is that except in unusual circumstances (see the "Exception" portion of 7.2), the Brigades of a Division would remain together and not get intermingled with the Brigades of another Division. And remember, in this game, each infantry unit = a Brigade. I believe this is why the Rules emphasize (with italics) the word "Divisional" in 7.2.

Just my take on these questions -- I'm happy to be corrected if I'm misreading anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellsworth
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
Bel is correct with the rules as written. Unfortunately, a number of the playtest games used the more liberal stacking by Formation rather than by Division, and several of the examples of play therefore show illegal stacking. But there is a difference between them... Formations relate to the units which can be activated together, which sometimes will mean more than one division will be part of the same Formation. Although they activate together, elements from different divisions cannot stack together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were significant differences in the organization schemes of the two armies. Union divisions were smaller, averaging half the size of Confederate divisions. I'd think that might make stacking by division an awkward choice for a stacking metric. See here for more background info on organization: Design Blog entry for Guns of Gettysburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.