Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using hero missions as ally missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
Hey all:

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but has anyone tried using the red missions that are based on the heroes as ally missions? Of course, if the hero is in play then you would just get the reward, but it would mean that in just the core set there would be a much bigger pool of ally missions to pull from, and the allies wouldn't have such a high threat cost.

As mentioned above, I kind of wanted to try this in order to give the rebels a low-ish threat ally alternative rather than the high-threat ones like Han and Chewie.

Below is the current variant that I've thought up. People testing this and/or giving back suggestions would be great.

Skirmish Hero changes

- Mak swaps out critical hit for disengage
- Diala gains battle meditation as a special action without requiring a test

Mission Fixes

In all missions, add the following point:
- Heroes control <Hero's name> at the ally's cost, after which the Imperias may resolve an optional deployment
- For the hero rewards, for example "Gideon receives the "fearless leader" reward card, replace this with "Heroes receive <hero's name> as an ally"

Bushfire: No changes

Temptation:
Gain Diala's cost in threat. Remove the "When Diala withdraws" end condition. Add to the mission briefing the following:
- When Diala is defeated, she becomes incapacitated and only receives 1 action per turn. At the end of each round, if she is incapacitated then discard one additional rebel mission token.
Remove the third and fourth sentences of the first point, so it looks like this:
- Rebel mission tokens represent inner strength. During each status phase, Diala discards 1 mission token.

High Moon:
No changes

Indebted:
No changes

Loose Cannon:
- Change the general "Heroes control <hero's name>"... to also include the AT-ST's threat
- Remove the second sentence in the first paragraph of "Press the advantage" (When the AT-ST is defeated) so that it reads "Places mak's figure in any of the spaces occupied by the AT-ST

Friends of Old:
No changes

Notes
- In friends of old, you would gain both the rebel allies and gideon as allies. I'm not sure how to approach dealing with this: Could they be deployed as a single ally group with their costs added together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't work out so well with Diala and Mak as their Skirmish deployment cards have abilities referring to Command cards. Don't see why it wouldn't work with any other Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
bill_andel wrote:
Wouldn't work out so well with Diala and Mak as their Skirmish deployment cards have abilities referring to Command cards. Don't see why it wouldn't work with any other Hero.

Huh, didn't realise that with Mak and Diala since I don't play skirmish. Perhaps a threat reduction could work, or giving them a different weapon or ability could help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
msg tools
I love the idea and will definitely consider including it in my next solo play through.

Diala's "Shattering Blow" basically works like "Precise Strike" which is costed at 2 strain in the campaign. This could easily be adapted to make her an ally.

Mak's "Critica Hit" is a bit trickier. Maybe instead of discarding a command card when the target is defeated, you gain: 2 movement points or 1 damage? Or maybe the IP loses 1 threat if possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
Bluester2000 wrote:
I love the idea and will definitely consider including it in my next solo play through.

Diala's "Shattering Blow" basically works like "Precise Strike" which is costed at 2 strain in the campaign. This could easily be adapted to make her an ally.

Mak's "Critica Hit" is a bit trickier. Maybe instead of discarding a command card when the target is defeated, you gain: 2 movement points or 1 damage? Or maybe the IP loses 1 threat if possible?

Perhaps shattering blow could cost two actions to use?
Critical hit sounds a bit like execute, where Mak would recover 1 strain when the enemy is defeated. Perhaps recover 1 damage? I don't have the cards on me, so I'll have to look at this tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd run into problems with some of these missions, since they suppose that this hero is playing. If you replace the hero with its deployment card, you'll essentially give the Rebels a free ally. You could compensate the Empire with additional threat, but you'll have other strange effects:

Spoilers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- Temptation (Diala) ends if Diala withraws, which is super easy to do for the Empire.
- In Loose Cannon (Mak), Mak suffers 10 damage, which instantly downs him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
Okay, to fix the skirmish cards, Mak swaps out critical hit for disengage and diala gains battle meditation as a special action, no test required. Yes, its not perfect but I think it'd be somewhat fair. I'm no expert (only just about to finish my first campaign!) so do forgive me.

Now, on to mission fixes:
Bushfire: Gain Fenn's cost in threat
Temptation: Gain Diala's cost in threat. Remove the "When Diala withdraws" end condition. Add to the mission briefing the following:
- When Diala is defeated, she becomes incapacitated and only receives 1 action per turn. At the end of each round, if she is incapacitated then discard one additional rebel mission token.
Remove the third and fourth sentences of the first point, so it looks like this:
- Rebel mission tokens represent inner strength. During each status phase, Diala discards 1 mission token.
High Moon: Gain Jyn's cost in Threat
Indebted: Gain Gaarkan's cost in Threat
Loose Cannon: Gain an AS-ST's and Mak's costs in threat.
- Remove the second sentence in the first paragraph of "Press the advantage" (When the AT-ST is defeated) so that it reads "Places mak's figure in any of the spaces occupied by the AT-ST

I'm not sure about gideon's mission (friends of old) since you would gain him AND a squad of rebel troopers. I'm tempted to have a special rule which allows you to deploy both together, but as one group but I'm not too sure about that so that the rebels don't gain a massive activation advantage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
DukeOfEarl wrote:

Spoilers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- Temptation (Diala) ends if Diala withraws, which is super easy to do for the Empire.
- In Loose Cannon (Mak), Mak suffers 10 damage, which instantly downs him.

Took a look at the missions, I hope the above changes at least mitigate the effects. If anyone has thoughts about those missions or the reward from the "Friends of Old" mission then I'd like to hear them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.