Sapos (toads in Spanish) is a game for 2 players
15 - 20 minutes play time, for ages 8+

Materials
8x8 board
32 pieces in two colors, 16 pieces of one color, and 16 pieces of another color

Object
Player last to move wins.

Setup
The game is played on the spaces of an 8x8 board that starts out with 4 pieces of one color placed on the points d2, d3,e2,e3 and 4 pieces of another color are placed on d6,d7,e6,e7. The remaining 24 pieces are held in a player's respective reserves.

Play
Choose a player to move first and then the second player will move twice only on her first turn, thereafter turns alternate.

Each turn a player must make one or more jumps with one of his pieces.

Each jump must be in an orthogonal direction over one friendly or enemy piece into a vacant space directly after the jumped piece. The jumping piece may change direction between jumps.

Clarifications
An enemy piece is removed from the board immediately after a jump and returned to the owner's reserve.

You may not add a piece from your reserve if on the same turn you have captured an enemy piece

If no enemy pieces are jumped, a piece from a player’s reserve is placed in a vacant orthogonal adjacent space to the final position of the jumping piece.

End of game
The game ends when a player is unable to take his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Another one, Rey!
Thanks for getting the contest off to a flying start.
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Rey,

I still haven't tried the game, but have been thinking about it a lot (which is annoying because I need to be thinking about my own game and getting it finished...)

I really admire the simple rules and the clever use of chess/checkers components. My in-laws have a giant chess board on their lawn, so I'm thinking about rounding up a bunch of kids and trying it out mega-sized... But first I need to pin down one of the kids to play a normal game with me.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Rey,

I still haven't tried the game, but have been thinking about it a lot (which is annoying because I need to be thinking about my own game and getting it finished...)

I really admire the simple rules and the clever use of chess/checkers components. My in-laws have a giant chess board on their lawn, so I'm thinking about rounding up a bunch of kids and trying it out mega-sized... But first I need to pin down one of the kids to play a normal game with me.

Cheers,
JK

Cool keep me posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
16 pieces per player but only 4 are originally on the board. What brings reserves out and where are they placed when they come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
Also, who wins? The player that was able to move last or who has the most tokens out on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
16 pieces per player but only 4 are originally on the board. What brings reserves out and where are they placed when they come out?

The reserves only come out after you've made a jump over a friendly piece or pieces then ending the jump on an empty space right after the jump.

The example here shows white moving to the left then white must add a reserve piece to one of the orthogonally empty spaces denoted here as white circles

But if at any point you jump over an enemy piece the enemy piece is removed from the board and returned to your opponent. No pieces are added from your reserve following a capture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
Also, who wins? The player that was able to move last or who has the most tokens out on the board?

The player that was able to move last.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Rey,

While the rules in your top post are complete, it might be useful for playtesters to have a nice printable rules sheet, especially with some illustrated examples of moves like the one you posted above.

Another clarification for me - if your piece is jumped and returned to you, can you place it on the board later, or is it effectively removed from the game?

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Another clarification for me - if your piece is jumped and returned to you, can you place it on the board later, or is it effectively removed from the game?

Yes you may use returned pieces as long as you are able.

Quote:
While the rules in your top post are complete, it might be useful for playtesters to have a nice printable rules sheet, especially with some illustrated examples of moves like the one you posted above.

Will do, sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been toying with the thought of a non fixed starting positions. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Setup

Players in turn place four friendly pieces one at a time onto an empty space, friendly pieces must be orthogonally adjacent to at least one other friendly piece on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools

First night playing. Once we got the hang of it, it was actually really enjoyable. I kind of like the fixed starting place becuase similar to other games your opening moves could just be shifts to one side of the board or another depending what the opponent does. Super simple rules and movements. Really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:

First night playing. Once we got the hang of it, it was actually really enjoyable. I kind of like the fixed starting place becuase similar to other games your opening moves could just be shifts to one side of the board or another depending what the opponent does. Super simple rules and movements. Really good.

So Pip One beat Pip six, glad you enjoyed the game! Oh how many games did you play and how long were they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
We just played one game. I didn't time how long but I would expect maybe 20-30 minutes. Just took a little time to realize when we could add to the board and such. Really enjoyable though. Made me want to go out and find 32 little frogs, paint two different colors, and play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
We just played one game. I didn't time how long but I would expect maybe 20-30 minutes. Just took a little time to realize when we could add to the board and such. Really enjoyable though. Made me want to go out and find 32 little frogs, paint two different colors, and play again.

Well your in luck, I'm soon going to self publish the game by print on demand on Etsy. The pictures below show the 8x8 portable board I designed and 32 unpainted frogs. My daughter will be hand painting the frogs and I will wood stain the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Rey,

I love simple abstract strategy games, and am looking forward to giving this a try.

A couple of clarification questions around the rules:

1) You said that the frogs could change directions between jumps. Does it matter what direction the frog is facing when the turn starts? Or can it jump any direction regardless?

2) What happens if you jump in the middle of 4 friendlies so there is no place to put a reserve? Do you just skip the reserve placement on that turn?

3) "Each player must make one or more jumps..." If you make multiple jumps over enemy pieces on the same turn do you remove them all (ala checkers)?

Thanks!
D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) You said that the frogs could change directions between jumps. Does it matter what direction the frog is facing when the turn starts? Or can it jump any direction regardless?

Since the game can be played with a set of checkers, you jump in any direction regardless as long as the movement in orthogonal only.

Quote:
2) What happens if you jump in the middle of 4 friendlies so there is no place to put a reserve? Do you just skip the reserve placement on that turn?

You would lose if that was your only move left.

Quote:
3) "Each player must make one or more jumps..." If you make multiple jumps over enemy pieces on the same turn do you remove them all (ala checkers)?

Yes, but unlike checkers movement in Sapos is orthogonal only.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.