9 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Best Ticket to Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Einar Theodorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Statement: Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is the only game I wouldn't hesitate to give a perfect score, 10 out of 10, no matter who I was recommending it too.

The reasons for this are many (not the least because it is a stand-alone game and not an expansion). Bear with me.

This is no cheap, hastily put together game to ride on the success of the original Ticket to Ride. Everything from the quality of the box, all the artwork, the board and the cards (and not to forget, the well written rules) give the impression of quality and effort.

As a quick introduction to the series, Ticket to Ride is a railway-themed eurogame which has the players pick "Ticket"-cards, which contain two cities the player has to connect by playing sets of cards with railway cars matching the colour of the spaces between two cities on the board. Each turn you could either draw new Tickets as you complete the ones in your hand, draw more coloured train cards or claim routes. The game basically ends when someone runs out of their plastic train pieces.

As for the gameplay, like all the different versions of Ticket to Ride, be it the original USA-map, the stand-alone Ticket to Ride: Europe or one of the official expansions, the rules differ slightly from all the other versions. This is only for 2 or 3 players, so the map gets crowded quickly.

What sets this apart from the other versions if that it plays faster, often around 30 minutes, the scores are often high due to players being able to draw many new Tickets during the game and in general, this makes the game less decided on initial hand of Tickets than for example the original game (the USA map does not easily let you abandon a bad hand for new tickets without crippling penalty - the Europe map takes steps to balance the initial hand more, but the same applies). And considering it's such a small map, you can almost always plan the route you want before drawing and then choose the tickets from that. Try that with USA...

While the original Ticket to Ride might be sligthly easier to grasp rule-wise, a player dealt a bad hand of Tickets has to block the others or lose the game - this does not work that way, because however crowded it might be, the price of not completing one or two tickets often does not lose you the game. I have played countless of games of Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, and people are rarely blocked to the point where they clearly lose the game because of it if the players are not actively employing this tactic (and even then, the 9-space Lieksa-Murmansk-route exists for the very reason of making the game easier to end early and stop the others from completing all their routes). This is a spectacular feature, because players who just want to race for the highest points are able to do so without being dealt devastating blows by unknowing opponents. There's almost always a way around it, should you get blocked - and if not, it's not the end of the world. The game achieves this with less additions to the rules than any of the expansions or other base sets (looking at you, train stations from Ticket to Ride: Europe).

As for the map itself, being from Sweden I'm very familiar with the geography of the Nordic Countries. For someone who is not, it might take some games before the locations of all the towns and cities are familiar - but it's not something that should steer you away from the game. (The tickets do have a helpful map drawn on them, showing you the location of the places you need to find.)

In the end, this is the Ticket to Ride I would recommend to anyone. It takes an already good game and makes it into something that's close to perfection. For 2 or 3 players, this is way above any of the other base sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started the TtR series with Europe, and got Team Asia after. NC was my third expansion, and a cold splash of water after those maps. I find that the stress of potentially getting blocked is much, much higher on the NC map, although I can't actually recall it happening.

Which isn't to say I don't like the map. I do, a lot. I just find it stressful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you are talking about base sets. But I place the UK map above Nordic. The only downside is that it is an expansion. But you don't NEED to have a base set. All you need is the box and some third party trains to play.

It plays 4 which Nordic won't.
It doesn't have Murmansk <-> Kobenhavn which is a killer ticket.
It doesn't have Tromso on several tickets. This destination is way too readily blocked.

It does have user choice of longest route or most tickets.
Locomotives are not devalued as they are in Nordic.
Concessions and technologies add tremendous depth to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know each of the Ticket to Rides have some unique aspect...but what are "concessions and technologies"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Snuggles wrote:

In the end, this is the Ticket to Ride I would recommend to anyone. It takes an already good game and makes it into something that's close to perfection. For 2 or 3 players, this is way above any of the other base sets.

Possibly but then came along Rails and Sails!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I know each of the Ticket to Rides have some unique aspect...but what are "concessions and technologies"?

The UK game allows you to build only one- and two-train land routes in England at the start. Concessions allow you to build routes into and within the other countries on the board, and technologies allow you to do things like build longer routes and ferries and score more points for routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:

The UK game allows you to build only one- and two-train land routes in England at the start. Concessions allow you to build routes into and within the other countries on the board, and technologies allow you to do things like build longer routes and ferries and score more points for routes.

That pretty much sums it up nicely.
They are not necessary, but make the game more strategic.
I have tried playing the game without using them and have even won that way. But it is not easy.
As mentioned, concessions allow you into Scotland, Wales and Ireland & France
Technologies tend to be thematic. For example, investing in propellors allow you to cross water.

Both concessions and technologies add to your scoring potential, but carry a cost always paid for in locomotives. For example, "right of way" allows you a one time right to build your route alongside any already completed route. But you need to buy it with 4 locomotives. You better REALLY need that route.

Quote:
Possibly but then came along Rails and Sails!

Hand management gets to me in that one. I would (and do!) pick Nordic over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Snuggles wrote:
(and not to forget, the well written rules)

I assume you mean the English rules, since none of the original rules (Swedish, Norwegian orden Danish) were correct. They each had their own individual mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Connors
United States
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget the snow covered train cards and purple trains!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.