Subject: Collecting Pro-Tips: From Those Who've Played to Those Who Haven't rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin Tsao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi Guys!

Everyone knows to read the rules, watch the videos, and many know to buy plastic baggies and plano boxes to organize the bits. I'm looking to help collect tips/tricks to help manage the time-consuming organization/set-up of this game, I'm always looking to see what other people do to keep the game moving. LOVING the gameplay btw.

1) Initiation Board. While pen and paper are more than adequate, I went to my nearest dollar store and picked up a small magnetic board and a small collection of magnetic clips. Using the magnetic clips, on paper (laminated, but that's optional) I write down all the character names and monsters we'll be fighting for the scenario. When initiation is determined I organize them on the board in order, pulling them off as each take its turn. I found it really helps to see it visually (vs. pnp where its harder to share and see from across the table).

2) Stacking HP on the enemy sleeves vs stacking damage. For instance, when a monster has 8 Health, we will stack 8 of the coins and remove them as they get hit. We found it's a lot easier to figure out how much damage is remaining instead of trying to remember what the HP is for every different type of enemy. It's also more satisfying when you remove the last tokens!

3) "Chores" Each player has a different thing they manage to help the game progress faster. (1) Elements and Gold Dropped, (2) Initiation Board and Enemy Movement, (3) Enemy HP, (4) Revealing Monster Cards, Managing Status Effects, Shuffling Enemy Decks when Necessary. We organize the playing board closer to person 1 & 2, while keeping all the enemy sleeves and decks closer to person 3 & 4.

I'd love to hear what other people are doing to help the bookkeeping move along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsao wrote:
Hi Guys!

Everyone knows to read the rules, watch the videos, and many know to buy plastic baggies and plano boxes to organize the bits. I'm looking to help collect tips/tricks to help manage the time-consuming organization/set-up of this game, I'm always looking to see what other people do to keep the game moving. LOVING the gameplay btw.

1) Initiation Board. While pen and paper are more than adequate, I went to my nearest dollar store and picked up a small magnetic board and a small collection of magnetic clips. Using the magnetic clips, on paper (laminated, but that's optional) I write down all the character names and monsters we'll be fighting for the scenario. When initiation is determined I organize them on the board in order, pulling them off as each take its turn. I found it really helps to see it visually (vs. pnp where its harder to share and see from across the table).

2) Stacking HP on the enemy sleeves vs stacking damage. For instance, when a monster has 8 Health, we will stack 8 of the coins and remove them as they get hit. We found it's a lot easier to figure out how much damage is remaining instead of trying to remember what the HP is for every different type of enemy. It's also more satisfying when you remove the last tokens!

3) "Chores" Each player has a different thing they manage to help the game progress faster. (1) Elements and Gold Dropped, (2) Initiation Board and Enemy Movement, (3) Enemy HP, (4) Revealing Monster Cards, Managing Status Effects, Shuffling Enemy Decks when Necessary. We organize the playing board closer to person 1 & 2, while keeping all the enemy sleeves and decks closer to person 3 & 4.

I'd love to hear what other people are doing to help the bookkeeping move along!

1) Tracking initiative hasn't been bad for me so I have not considered doing this, yet.

2) I actually thought of this as well and was going to try it next time to see how it goes

3) So far I've been doing all the chores. I may have someone take up some of the tasks next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy stacking HP, but I save it as a special treatment for bosses or key elites. I can't imagine stacking 8 stacks of HP when I lay down a big spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was thinking of using the numbered tokens to track initiative. It hasn't been a big issue so far but there was a scenario that was jam-packed with enemy types and it required a lot of continuous looking around lol.

The game comes with numbered tokens that are used at some point in the game, but outside of those rare instances you could use those, I was thinking of just putting it on the picture of the monster and removing it as the monster takes it's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might go without saying (and isn't relevant for the first scenario or two), but decide ahead of time which scenario you're going to play next. This can be by either ending each session after doing the road event on your way and then picking up by starting the scenario right away next time or just chatting ahead of time saying, "Hey, we should do scenario 3 next cause I wanna," "Okay, that's fine. I don't care either way." This way you can spend time setting up the scenario before people arrive to cut down on setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
-I am using custom dice to keep track of the HP of monsters. My group just finds it easier to glance across the table and see the number instead of asking the guy closest to the monster tracker how many there are, if any are stacked, if that 1 is a 5, etc. Been pretty smooth.

-Another +1 to figuring out what party wants to do at end of scenario so game owner can have it set up prior to next convening.

-Another tip is for game owner to have the Rules 'down pat'. My groups pretty good at taking me for my word, and I'm pretty good at remembering stuff. It's a co-op so there shouldn't be too much "Why can't I do that!"

-This last one isn't so much a good tip for gameplay just my own personal experience. I am all for ambience. I had the whole pirate theme orchestrated through Seafall. This time I have custom mugs for each class for mercenaries hanging out drinking ale. Have the Conan soundtrack in the background. Have different dishes to hold all the different trinkets XP, monsters, Wounds/poisons, Loot, etc. It's been great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reshurc wrote:
Have the Conan soundtrack in the background.

This, Very much this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dobbins
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
i was thinking of using the numbered tokens to track initiative. It hasn't been a big issue so far but there was a scenario that was jam-packed with enemy types and it required a lot of continuous looking around lol.

The game comes with numbered tokens that are used at some point in the game, but outside of those rare instances you could use those, I was thinking of just putting it on the picture of the monster and removing it as the monster takes it's turn.

This is exactly what we do. I actually thought this was intended, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
storm2380 wrote:
freudianslip27 wrote:

This is exactly what we do. I actually thought this was intended, lol!

Haha, maybe! I thought I read they were for scenarios but I could be mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using dice to track monster health at the moment, but my plan is to buy some mini poker chips and use them to track health.
I've been doing this for most of my games to track HPs and mana and such and it's really nice to see those totals at a glance (Hoplomachus has spoiled me). And as a solo gamer, it's made things easier for a lot of games to use poker chips instead of little numbered chits when playing multiple hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 to having the scenario you plan on doing in advance and set up beforehand. So far I've always had to stop and get something on the way there so I've gotten home after everyone's already arrived, but I can still set up the scenario quickly because I grabbed the monster stat/ability cards, standees, and map+overlay tiles out in advance and kept them on the top of the box, so that when I open the scenario's just waiting for me.

Chores are a thing. First scenario I managed most of it and sort of watched what other people were interested in. So this week I got the guy that was interested in the monster abilities to man those decks, and my wife was paying the most attention to the elemental board... If anyone exhausted they got more chores to do to try and keep things moving at a quicker pace.

I highly advise, whatever storage you use, sort the overlay tokens into at least four different categories so that you don't dig through all of them. I made that mistake the first week and having to stop to go dig out a trap felt bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Kaine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
I highly advise, whatever storage you use, sort the overlay tokens into at least four different categories so that you don't dig through all of them. I made that mistake the first week and having to stop to go dig out a trap felt bad.

This. Very much this. Best advice I can give: organize everything in the box. Take a day to store monster cards, overlay tokens, dungeon tiles, cards, etc. so that they're easy to locate and put away. Makes enjoying the game 100% better. Plano storage boxes and small, plastic jewelry baggies do wonders for games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got mine split across 3 planos and 2 GMT counter trays. Won't fit in the box but that's ok. When I'm done playing all the time I'll downsize it and reuse the containers for something else. But for now it saves so much time and I'm playing daily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
msg tools
CrushU wrote:

Any recommendations on how to categorise them? When you first punch everything out and haven't played yet figuring out how to group them is difficult. The only "obvious" set to me is the doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a complete overview of every overlay tile that comes with the game. You could just categorize them the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.