Subject: So... Impressions Anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasey HR
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

My pledge just arrived today out of the blue (never got any kind of tracking info, but Im not complaining!). Just curious if anyone who has got their copy has actually played it yet?

What are your first impressions? Id especially like to hear from both people who played the original AC and people who are new to the series (like myself).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played 2 scenarios so far. I like it better than the original. Damnation and brimstome cards add just a little extra strategy and chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dobosh
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just using inferno stuff to play through pets expansion first. Have played through 4 pet expansions scenarios. I love the damnation. Had played the original a ton, and was worried had worn the game out, but the inferno bad guys are great, the cards and weapons are even more dynamic. I couldn't be happier with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
I received my box last week and my wife and I started a campaign over the weekend. Neither one of us played the original, so I can't compare, but so far I agree with the other posters- the game is very clear, well-designed and the damnation mechanics and brimstone cards create a layer that not only makes gameplay more interesting, but also solid themes with the inferno and fallen angels...

I have backed other kickstarters (such as SDE Forgotten King) which I have regretted, and so far this is not the case with AQ:I- I am really happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First impression: The Underlord is frickin huge! I think he could double as a bookend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Abruzzi
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My son and I have played through the first two missions of the pets expansion with the inferno set. We are really liking it so far the damnation addition is fun and adds more strategy. We played the base game and previous expansion and loved the additions. The pets are a lot of fun and the new upgrades are great I was afraid we would both hesitate to take damnation but after the first scenario we both had characters that were loading up to get boosts prevent damage, and it really opens the game up. The brimstone cards then become much more fun cause you have no idea what's going to happen. So far loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a demo game of the original with my son. We ran home and late-backed Inferno after that.

Started a campaign with my son and daughter (11 and 7). Mid-way through the third quest currently. They love it, always asking when we can play more. It's fun, challenging, not too hard, with just enough "take that" to satisfy my ultra-competitive 11 year old, but not enough to make my 7 year old cry. Older kid is starting to run away with things, so I'm forming an alliance with younger kid to work somewhat against him.

Brimstone cards add a nice interaction feature, since most seem to allow you to activate a demon. Damnation is a great mechanic, adding reward for risk later. Just wish we had a bigger table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
***Updated Impressions***

After three scenarios, A 2 player game does seem to suffer from runaway leader syndrome. Possibly I am just bad at the game though. Bad dice rolls are not helping. 7 defense dice to block 2 hits to keep from dying and I roll all blanks! That sucks! I regret not getting the pet expansion. I hate looking at those adorable pets in the KS exclusive box knowing I can't use them. Plus that rules out a few characters that have pet related skills and bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
JavaGammer wrote:

After three scenarios, A 2 player game does seem to suffer from runaway leader syndrome. Possibly I am just bad at the game though. Bad dice rolls are not helping. 7 defense dice to block 2 hits to keep from dying and I roll all blanks! That sucks! I regret not getting the pet expansion. I hate looking at those adorable pets in the KS exclusive box knowing I can't use them. Plus that rules out a few characters that have pet related skills and bonuses.

Did you download the pets rulebook from the web? Its really easy to integrate those bonus pets that we got with the Hell of a box. I passed on the pets expansion as well, and have a small regret too, but seriously- you could be using those with just a quick read of the rules. There are even rules for putting wild pets onto other scenarios and campaigns- really the only thing you are missing is the pet upgrade cards.

Go pets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deerteam wrote:
JavaGammer wrote:

Did you download the pets rulebook from the web? Its really easy to integrate those bonus pets that we got with the Hell of a box. I passed on the pets expansion as well, and have a small regret too, but seriously- you could be using those with just a quick read of the rules. There are even rules for putting wild pets onto other scenarios and campaigns- really the only thing you are missing is the pet upgrade cards.

Go pets!

I did not know this! Thanks! That is awesome! We will definitely incorporate those rules in our next campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Fletcher
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far me and my boyfriend have played through an entire campaign, and we love it. It is mostly just MORE Arcadia Quest, but if you love the first then that's great.
But damnation and brimstone do add a lot, and having the pets can change stuff up as well.

We finished the campaign but we still have to play a dragon scenario, so I'm excited to see where that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half way through a The Pets campaign with my daughter and we are both loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 2 scenarios into a Pets+Inferno campaign and 1 scenario into a Fall of Arcadia campaign. I love them both. I'm so happy with all the new content, I feel like I have lots of stuff for years of games.

And after browsing through all the campaign books, the new campaigns feel fresh in terms of what you have to do to complete quests. It's not just more of the same for all of them, they feel thought-out and different.

I think Fall of Arcadia is my favorite so far though just because it combines everything so the maps are very awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.