Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Maquis» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Just played first game, a lot of fun and came down to the very last placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmb
I came across this very cool game about a month ago, and finally finished printing it for playing, when I came here and found the VASSAL module. Figured my gaming table was currently full so I'd try a VASSAL game. Glad I did as it answered a few questions I had on game play.

For this game I pulled Destroy the Train and Underground Newspaper for my missions. Then I had to figure out how to get explosives, and a ton of Intel! Reading the rules, I figured out a plan and set off.

Only to have one of my agents get captured on the first turn! I neglected to secure a route home and had spread them out too far, stranding one. Luckily just one. This was not a good start - I gathered one intel and some food and medicine, but lost a worker. Time to rethink the strategy.

I started focusing on securing a route and going the slow, not over reaching, intent on making some explosives! Managed to recruit another worker and via airdrops secured enough money to open up the chemist while getting enough medicine to create the explosives I needed. Things were going pretty well, and by turn 8 I had 2 explosives on location and had just created a third.

Turn 9 - set about securing the route to The Fence, only to have a Police patrol there before I got there! argh! Did learn a valuable lesson. But that ensured I could not win, could I get a tie?

to keep this short, by the last turn I had finished out 2/3 of the intel needed, and had 1 of the last 2 intel in place. I had the intel in the safe house and had to get it to Point du Nord to tie. Secured my route, was about to place the last worker for the tie, when the last police man drew a Patrol card.... all three locations were occupied, so he started looking to arrest someone. The first place.. Point du Nord. Of course.

without a handgun, the valiant gal had no choice and was arrested. The patrol effectively cut me off from completing the mission, and the game ends in a loss.

but fun! and I felt the tension as I got closer to thinking I could get a draw.. and that patrol card.. ouch!

I am sure I made some mistakes in playing /rules but it doesn't change the fact that this simple game made me feel for my workers, and losing them stung.

well done, great design, I look forward to playing with my paper copy!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, this is a super-fun and challenging solo game. There's a nice version available for iOS if you have an iphone or ipad.

I still have to gather up some equipment and find some time but I'm definitely going to make a paper copy, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.