Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read about salt being a wildcard I thought to myself, "oh, that's easy enough, players will just declare what it is when discarding of the resource," but the more I look it appears you literally have to swap it for a physical good.

Ok, easy enough. To clarify, can this be done at any time, or only during your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
When I first read about salt being a wildcard I thought to myself, "oh, that's easy enough, players will just declare what it is when discarding of the resource," but the more I look it appears you literally have to swap it for a physical good.

Ok, easy enough. To clarify, can this be done at any time, or only during your turn?

Is there any reason you would ever want/need to do it during another player's turn? I really cannot think of one.

I would say that you cannot do anything other than gain resources (due to a Prefect action) when it is not your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some rules passage or ingame scenario keeping you at night with this?

If you want to use salt as brick you hold it up when you need brick and go "this is a brick." If you want to call it cloth when you need to use a cloth for something you go "this is cloth."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

If you want to use salt as brick you hold it up when you need brick and go "this is a brick." If you want to call it cloth when you need to use a cloth for something you go "this is cloth."

Mainly I was thinking goods were limited, but upon reflection I see that was a misremenbrance. If they were limited, then merely declaring the good without a physical exchange could run up against limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Mainly I was thinking goods were limited, but upon reflection I see that was a misremenbrance. If they were limited, then merely declaring the good without a physical exchange could run up against limitation.

This. You don't change it for a good cause you can never trade it for sestiri (sp)/money
At least this is my interpretation of the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
bhra1s wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

This. You don't change it for a good cause you can never trade it for sestiri (sp)/money
At least this is my interpretation of the rules

You are wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear more from the designer on this, but the English rules are rather clear. My only question would be whether there's a subtle translation error that influences how this comes across in English.

English Rules wrote:

Salt as a good
Salt is, like any other good, stored in the storehouse. Salt is a wildcard,
which means you can exchange salt with any other good at
any time. But you can never buy or sell salt for sestertii. You get salt
when your salt cities produce or through some of the forum cards.

So when I play a merchant card, I can just trade all my salt in for whatever good and then sell it, Salt simply has no inherent value of its own.

Anyone fluent in German see any difference in the German rules?

German Rules wrote:

Salz als Ware
Salz wird, wie die anderen Waren auch, im Lagerhaus aufbewahrt.
Salz ist ein Joker, d.h. es ist jederzeit möglich Salz in eine beliebige
Ware zu tauschen. Salz kann aber nicht für Sesterzen eingekauft
oder verkauft werden. Salz erhält man bei der Produktion
eigener Salzstädte oder durch einige Forumskarten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
I would love to hear more from the designer on this, but the English rules are rather clear. My only question would be whether there's a subtle translation error that influences how this comes across in English.

English Rules wrote:

Salt as a good
Salt is, like any other good, stored in the storehouse. Salt is a wildcard,
which means you can exchange salt with any other good at
any time. But you can never buy or sell salt for sestertii. You get salt
when your salt cities produce or through some of the forum cards.

The designers make it clear that you can trade the salt at the moment of sale to turn it into another good (via agreement here): https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1571253/so-you-are-not-allo...

(Third post, I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeap, seems solid, my minuscule doubt has been assuaged.

To your question then Enon, it seems that

- Rules say you can trade "At any time"

So yeah, since goods are non-limiting you can say "These are cloth" and not bother with the actual 'trade' unless you need it for some accounting of what was traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if it is my turn and I have salt in my warehouse, but I'm out of cash and need to get some cash in.

Can I say 'I want to trade this salt in for cloth' and then swap the salt for cloth, and then immediately play the Mercator card and sell the cloth that I obtained for swapping the salt for 7 cash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.