Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gamers

We player EPIC mode last time, with 4 players.

Everything was fine, downtime was not as bad as I would thought so but there is one thing which is bothering me much.

When we enetred second level of the dungeon game slowed very very much.
(Our characters were already (or almost) at 4th level):

- game starter to be repetable as after each player turn, in his dungeon master phase, we almost always moved monsters (major one) to player who was next as a player/to player who had most xp.

- Due to this fact, game started to look like: roll dice, re-roll, try to kill monster, have left few dice, not enough to move to the next room when another major monster was present.

- of course we were throwing cards at each other.

- we were moving really slow through the dungeon

- finally, we decided to stop moving monsters and move to the third lvl as game lasted already too long.

Anyone had similar experience? I know it is possible to kill two major monsters in one turn but those damn monster have really nasty skills and many times we were just unable to do it. Because of bad roll, skills, cards which other players throw at us.

Even so, we liked the game but I am wondering if we should for example use only shields to not fight current monster, move to another one and then fight, or something like that, maybe get few hits and then move to next room but this is quite risky I think

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, if you want to have a big turn where you do multiple things, you need to have treasure cards that give you symbols. You simply can't get enough mileage out of your dice even with hero abilities.

Personally I think I've been undervaluing treasure cards a bit too much. Almost everyone I've played the game with has asked "Is there anything else I can do with gold other than buy treasure card?" And obviously the answer is yes, there are abilities that use gold as well, but I think the focus on using gold primarily for treasure cards shows the importance of treasure cards.

TL;DR - Try to max out the treasure cards in your hand as often as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
As far as I can tell, if you want to have a big turn where you do multiple things, you need to have treasure cards that give you symbols. You simply can't get enough mileage out of your dice even with hero abilities.

Personally I think I've been undervaluing treasure cards a bit too much. Almost everyone I've played the game with has asked "Is there anything else I can do with gold other than buy treasure card?" And obviously the answer is yes, there are abilities that use gold as well, but I think the focus on using gold primarily for treasure cards shows the importance of treasure cards.

TL;DR - Try to max out the treasure cards in your hand as often as possible.

I realized this same thing about 10 minutes before our first game ended. I'd now abide by this rule all day, until end game is about to trigger, then you want to keep 6 gold on your person for any tiebreaker scenario!

At first the treasure cards seemed like a precious commodity, worth savoring for the "right moment." But, I think you have to play this game as though every turn will be your last, chuck every card you can onto the table and smash as much crap as you can. Dying is barely a penalty (another thing I realized a bit too late) so I think going full throttle is the key to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know that not only us had such feeling

While death is not such big penalty, when dying you are not gaining xp so you are staying behind the first player/players. I am not sure whether this is good idea.

As for the cards - so basically, what I can say looking at your posts - on lvl 2 and 3 you need to have cards? Without them game will last much longer?

As for the gold - it is quite risky because someone can steal it from you Also, many skills work with gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Good to know that not only us had such feeling

While death is not such big penalty, when dying you are not gaining xp so you are staying behind the first player/players. I am not sure whether this is good idea.

As for the cards - so basically, what I can say looking at your posts - on lvl 2 and 3 you need to have cards? Without them game will last much longer?

As for the gold - it is quite risky because someone can steal it from you Also, many skills work with gold

If you plan your deaths to happen near the Level Up breaks then the penalty is negligible. The only thing my group couldn't find a ruling on is whether you're still allowed to play Treasure Cards while dead (namely, the one's that would normally be played out-of-turn.) We ruled that you can't play them while dead, and I see that as the biggest penalty to death in the later stages of the game.

With the gold, yes you're right, for most of the game there is little reason to horde it unless your abilities call for it, but if you don't have a means of gaining treasure in the final round then your only safe bet is to stockpile it and hope everyone else is at their max of 6 coins as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.