Subject: Suggestions for two collection niches rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking with friends and other gamers over the past few days I think I have a couple of thematic niches in my collection that I'm considering filling.

First up, a civilisation builder. I have 7 Wonders, but I want something properly heavy that might take a couple of hours. Through The Ages is an obvious suggestion but having watched and read reviews, it doesn't really appeal to me. Historia is one I've played before and enjoyed and is already on my list, so games around that sort of weight and play time would be nice. Solitaire play is also very essential, so (preferably) official solo rules need to be included.

Second, something medieval themed with degrees of conflict, scheming and politicking. I mean historically medieval, not fantasy medieval such as Games of Thrones. Again, I don't if it's decently heavy with a play time of 2-3 hours, but solo rules would be a big bonus. Fief is one I've seen reviews for that immediately springs to mind, but I'm unsure what else there might be.

Anything with miniatures is a big turn off for my group and I. Don't ask why, none of us can really put our finger on it, but we simply don't have any interest in games with miniatures. Counters, cards and wooden bits are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zveroboy wrote:
First up, a civilisation builder. I have 7 Wonders, but I want something properly heavy that might take a couple of hours. Through The Ages is an obvious suggestion but having watched and read reviews, it doesn't really appeal to me. Historia is one I've played before and enjoyed and is already on my list, so games around that sort of weight and play time would be nice. Solitaire play is also very essential, so (preferably) official solo rules need to be included.

Nations is sort of a streamlined and shorter TTA and it has a solid solo mode. I prefer TTA, but Nations is not far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Nations

For the second part, maybe Wallenstein Big Box?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, IMO neither 7 Wonders nor Historia is a proper civilisation builder.
If you want something in the same vein, but with different mechanisms and a solid solo mode, maybe you could try Imperial Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
For the second part, maybe Wallenstein Big Box?

I would say that is outside the medieval period. Most people consider that it finishes before 1500 CE (some say well before 1500 CE).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.