Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I remember that years ago when tabletop wargaming with WWII era tanks we would add some lead weights to the models to make them feel a bit heavier - that was a nice tactile improvement to moving plastic tanks around. I think I will try that with my monsters when my box arrives later this year; looking at vibrantlantern.com there is enough space at least in the White Lion to add some weights.

So does somebody already have experience with that already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heavier a model gets, the easier it breaks when it falls down somewhere, so I'd be careful with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did that with my Brimstone-minis, because they are much lighter than KDM models. They have a curved base, exactly enough to stick a 5 Cent coin from below using blutack. That really improved the gaming experience.

Never had that urge with KDM models though, they weigh enough to be handled smoothly and safely on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you could add to the base for weight that would have a second use is magnets. Miniature gamers have been adding magnets to the base, that way you can use metal trays for storage and transport of the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnets certainly help. I have used self-adhesive magnet sheets used for business cards and photographs. You can usually find them in office supply shops. Then you just trace the base on the sheet of magnet, trim it out and apply. The weight of the magnet is just enough of an increase for a light weight plastic model.

I have however applied a weight underneath the base of models that are "unbalanced". You know those figures that are in some sort of dynamic pose, leaning way over the edge of their base. They stand up fine on their own but the second someone stands up from the table, they tip over. In the past, I have just glued a penny to the bottom. Seems to work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Magnets certainly help. I have used self-adhesive magnet sheets used for business cards and photographs. You can usually find them in office supply shops. Then you just trace the base on the sheet of magnet, trim it out and apply. The weight of the magnet is just enough of an increase for a light weight plastic model.

I have however applied a weight underneath the base of models that are "unbalanced". You know those figures that are in some sort of dynamic pose, leaning way over the edge of their base. They stand up fine on their own but the second someone stands up from the table, they tip over. In the past, I have just glued a penny to the bottom. Seems to work fine.

I have done the weight trick on certain model in my miniature games before, the great thing about KDM is that none of the models are like that and have a tipping point issue. Unless maybe someone did it with a armor sprue survivor, but all the monsters I have found to be very stable with the poses, and I currently have all the expansions and base game. I've been very happy with that aspect of the KDM Mini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes weigh down the bases on minis that have a hard time standing up (like if they're top heavy or some such).

Glueing pennies or nickels to the bottoms of bases works well for that.

Personally, I don't find a heavier mini to be more satisfying than a lighter one. Kingdom Death doesn't have a lot of top heavy problems- at least with the stock poses (the bases are all large enough to support the minis on them).

Also, the Apoxie Sculpt that I use to sculpt the faces on my bases is heavier than the plastic- in the case of 50mm monsters, it really makes a different in the heft (always be careful with that Slenderman).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate everybody's input, it never occurred to me to put the weight in the base and/or to achieve the weight with magnets. Definitely putting that into the notes I am collecting for my builds :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With delicate models, having a magnet on the base is also helpful for transport. You can use a metal tin (toolbox) to carry your figures in and they will stay in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.