Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After many years, mostly absent from the boardgame hobby, I “returned” in January. BGG was the natural place to start!

Many new beautiful games have been released the last 15 years. I started to dive into the ranking lists, watching reviews and people’s favorite lists. I read the forums recommendations ++

I know what games I like and what game mechanics I enjoy the most. I made a wishlist and started to order all the “love to have” games… and ended up with 20 new games on my shelf total!

I mostly aim for the following four categories of games in my collection, and I like to have a variety of games in each:

* Family/party games – multiplayer
* “Not really” serious strategy games - multiplayer
* Strategy/war games - multiplayer
* Abstract/strategy/wargames for 2-players

Ok, let me try to define what I search for in a great game (or at least potentially) a great game for me:

The rules complexity should not be on a level forcing you to frequently check the rulebook after the 3rd game. New players should quickly grasp the rules and the game, at least in their 2nd or 3rd game.

The game time should fit each of the four categories. I love some games with 6-8 hours’ game time, but I try to limit buying this games, since it’s much harder to get players that dedicated.

The goal of the game. In the family/party game category the main goal is to have fun together, and winning is just a fun goal with relaxed atmosphere. The same count for the “Not really” serious one.
However in the two last categories I mostly only enjoy games were skill is rewarded. The players should FEEL that their actions increase or decrease their chances to win. I also don’t enjoy games with high kingmaker factor, like vanilla Catan. I don't usually enjoy games with preset positions and players with good memory of the best moves gets a hugh advantage (like chess). Thus games with changes to each game (like Onitama and Field command) is preferred.

So here is the best part of my collection split into the four categories, in random order:

Family/party games
Cash&Guns (2nd ed)
Dixit
Carcassonne
Sheriff of Nottingham
Biblios
King of Tokyo
Incan Gold
Raj
Takenoko
Codenames
Bohnanza
The Great Dalmuti
Talisman
Pitchcar (dexterity)
(Spades)

“Not really” serious strategy games
Age of War
Illuminati

Strategy/wargames – multiplayer
Stone Age
Puerto Rico
Roborally (old one)
Carcassonne with expansions
Imperial
Shogun (big box)
Smallworld
Medina (2nd ed)
(Spades)
Kremlin
RISK
Samurai
Through the desert
Karuba
Blood royal
Junta
Ikusa
Ricochet robots

Abstract/Strategy/Wargames – 2 player
Carcassonne – The castle
Carcassonne (vanilla with 15 min each using chess watch)
Cathedral
Field Command
Onitama
Santorini
The Duke
Kahuna
Sekigahara
Patchwork
ZHAAR
Lord of the rings – The Confrontation
YINSH
HIVE
Ponte del diavolo
Abalone (with timer)
Kamisado

Check them all out, and enjoy!

Tips to make games quicker and run more fluid?

* I recommend using a chess watch or timer to speed up moves and reduce AP in games. Maybe give max three "extra" time tokens to each player
* I also recommend that one or two guy/s makes all the dice throws. This will speed up the delays between each player a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The forum is for people asking for a recommendation and then you offer your suggestions. It is not about simply posting your recommendations. If it were, there would be numerous posts doing so, and it would bury the posts asking for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
The forum is for people asking for a recommendation and then you offer your suggestions. It is not about simply posting your recommendations. If it were, there would be numerous posts doing so, and it would bury the posts asking for help.

This is the greatest recommendation this forum has seen in years... so why complain??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this forum is usually for the reverse process of recommendations, I appreciated the read. But your audience will be limited here, which is a shame for the time and thought you've put into this.

I think the best way to share your experience/recommendations with the community, would be with a GeekList. You could list each game out separately and still list them off in the categories you've presented above. The GeekList would be featured on the front page and people would likely enjoy hearing about your experience. I'm sure you would engage many people's thoughts and opinions, and they could comment on each game individually.

Thank you for sharing and welcome back to the scene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should have been a geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing. Welcome home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list could be made a greatly improved if you listed the Whys (and why nots, helps to be critical) for each title. The full thought process, not a bit out front that doesn't leave enough to base on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Krueger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is very helpful. This was some of the postings when I first started out, but lately (to me) posts have not been as interesting to read and not provided the variety that I had found when I came to the forum a couple years ago!

Welcome back to the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggerheart wrote:
So here is the favorite part of my collection split into the four categories, in random order (some I have not played yet, but have high potential!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
This list could be made a greatly improved if you listed the Whys (and why nots, helps to be critical) for each title. The full thought process, not a bit out front that doesn't leave enough to base on.

This games got MY stamp on them... better stamp than Dicetower gives ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.