Subject: A board game adaptation of Hacksaw Ridge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markku Soikkeli
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While watching the war film "Hacksaw Ridge" I was wondering what kind of board game might someone make based on that film. Could a bg designer see instantly something adaptable that I'm barely guessing at?

<minor spoiler alert>

There's not much particularly good drama in that movie and as a genre film it's exactly something one may expect from director like Mel Gibson. BUT the whole action part of the film, whole 2nd hour, is dedicated to a strictly isolated battle scenario (the ridge), where the protagonist, medic man and pasifist, tries to save other soldiers, first under fire and then hiding from the enemy.

The challenge for a game designer would be a war game without fighting and instead saving as many lives as possible, adapting the impossible (real life) situation into an interesting game scenario... perhaps something like The Grizzled 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markku regards

Just watched the film myself and I was wondering the same thing as you.

But in the meantime was wondering if there is a wargame based on the battle.

I mean climbing the rope alone is a movement cost factor.

not to mention the terrain of the battlefield

thanks for the post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Someone would set Fate / Action points as one unified scale and then it would be tug-of-war to keep the Fate up enough to pass the fear test and go where its needed and to have enough Action points to do as much as you can do during your turn, avoiding any fighting whatsoever...

Could be cool. Maybe Eric Lang could pull that off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.