Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Personal quest difficulty /balance (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The personal quest that deals with enhancing five times seems much harder than any other personal quest.

Because you can only enhance a number of cards equal to the prosperity level, the cost early on is huge.

Assuming the cheapest enhancements at 30g, it is base line 150g to complete if you are at prosperity five. But that goes up significantly at lower prosperity because of the cost of double enhancing a card.

At 4, it's 225g.
At 3, it's 300g.
At 2, it's 450g.
At 1, it's 900 plus a card with five slots.

While it's unlikely you can finish this at 1, it also seems fairly impossible at 2 and still a huge cost at 3. The quest becomes on par with other quests around 4 and maybe slightly easier at 5. But all quests seem easier the later in the game you get them because of the larger availability of specific scenarios and items.

Is this balanced as intended? Seems really detrimental if it is your first personal quest compared to many other choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why you can chose between two quests at the beginning. But yeah, it seems harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
You might not even be able to enhance at town level 1 since you need to unlock something just to be able to do it.

Personally, it seems fine for this quest to be more expensive than say the amass gold one, because you are getting stuff out of that gold both while you work on the quest, and for future characters of that class instead of just wasting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this as one of the two quests to choose from.

I immediately snapped it back into the deck because A) don't know when enhancements will be available, B) They're Expensive, and C) the other one just asked for donations, which is way easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as second personal quest became much easier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Herr
United States
flag msg tools
I also had this as one of my options to start. Both of it and my other choice seemed like they would take much longer than the quests my girlfriend had the option of getting.

Spoiler for my other quest choice:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My other quest was to see 2 other personal quests get completed. Obviously slower than the quests she had the option to get lol

Which would you have picked for a 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleblaze wrote:
I also had this as one of my options to start. Both of it and my other choice seemed like they would take much longer than the quests my girlfriend had the option of getting.

My other quest was to see 2 other personal quests get completed. Obviously slower than the quests she had the option to get lol

Ough, that'd be rough for your first draw in a two player game. I'd probably go with the one you mentioned though since I'd prefer unlocking that symbol hoping the class is what I think it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littleblaze wrote:

If you really don't like either, it would be within the rules to just abandon that character for now and play a different one, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Herr
United States
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
littleblaze wrote:

If you really don't like either, it would be within the rules to just abandon that character for now and play a different one, right?

I suppose I could have done that. I ended up going with my second option thinking that it might get done first.

I also just considered that you could possibly make a character with that quest and join into a game to finish it in 1 or 2 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.