Pawel P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Side 1: fighters A and B
Side 2: fighter X

X tallies A, B tallies X, they all end up in combat

Combat starts: B gets broken.

'A' still has no tallies - no auto tally as he was on attacking side.

Questions:
1. Is 'A' free to continue mission if no dogfight follows?
2. What if there is a dogfight and 'A' ends on attacking side again.
Is he still attacking with no tally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have found an interesting bug in the rules, Pawel. Normally, 'A' would be the defender and therefore gain a tally on 'X', but because of 'B' moving last it is the attacker. The rules do not cover this situation. In truth, I'd suggest 'A' gets a tally as if it was a defender. However, I may need to redraft the rule to allow for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for explanation and thank you for a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NRH, but doesn't combat always end up with all automatically having a tally on at least one enemy unit if they remain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
No this is a good puzzle and a great post. It whiled away some time waiting for a meeting.

The situation is this:

B has tally on X: X has tally on A who has no tally.
(B and A are on the same side).
They are in the same hex.

So this a multi-squadron combat.
The plane that goes last in movement order then, is the attacker.

In movement order A goes first followed by X followed by B! (as squadrons move after their tallies). Ergo Side B/A is the attacker.

B breaks leaving X with a tally on A in the same square with no dogfight.

But! As A was on the attacking side in the combat it does not automatically tally X in the same square

IMO it could be dealt with under the exisiting free movement rules. “A” could either free move out of the square or stay put and place a fresh tally on X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh...defender only. Got it, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a situation that wasn’t shaken out at playtest. The rule as written assumes that all the attackers have a tally. However, Pawel has described a situation where that’s not true. So I have to think on how we are going to deal with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we say that after a combat every non-broken fighter squadron will have a tally on an enemy squadron in that combat? You won't have to distinguish between attacker and defender then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redmond Dunnigan
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Roger's suggestion: have both attackers and defenders get the automatic tally on an involved opponent at the end of combat as in 7.2.2.

This might not make much difference. In the next turn's tally phase, squadron A can most likely get a tally on squadron X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
Can we say that after a combat every non-broken fighter squadron will have a tally on an enemy squadron in that combat?

Yes. I am currently reviewing a possible errata change to 7.2.2 (6) that would make that rule attacker/defender neutral. So in the rare event that a squadron on the attacking side does NOT have a tally, it will have to get one like the defender.

This will appear when I issue an errata sheet, which I will get to in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.