Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Wilson
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen this filter out to the geek yet, but Green Ronin just announced that they are teaming up with GTG for a new game based on the SotM engine, Sentinels of Earth Prime. Fully compatible with SotM!

https://greenronin.com/blog/2017/02/14/press-release-green-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah. That is cool.

I'm don't with Sentinels stuff and don't need to buy into another universe of releases, but still cool.

I actually thought this was going to be about the SotM RPG. Twist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just when we addicts are about to get our final hit, a new supplier comes along...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want to look out for the Kickstarter for this. I'm very curious to see how this will look. I can't turn down more Sentinels if the quality is as good as usual. I wonder if this will get added to the video game at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! The article mentions that the products will be compatible too! I'm eager to see how this turns out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

Also, called it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
Not being familiar with that system, are there actually established, named heroes in that universe? My cursory look through the wikipedia page (my work blocks the main mutants and masterminds page) showed various settings, but no specific heroes. Just curious.
There are plenty of named heroes in the universe. Here's the official list: https://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse

There's an ongoing 'Letters Page' podcast giving extensive stories of the heroes: http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/

The card game has each player taking on the role of one of the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
Not being familiar with that system, are there actually established, named heroes in that universe? My cursory look through the wikipedia page (my work blocks the main mutants and masterminds page) showed various settings, but no specific heroes. Just curious.

Like the Sentinels universe, Mutants & Masterminds' Earth-Prime setting has a lot of heroes that are analogous to published comic book characters, like a brooding hero with a gadget for every occasion called the Raven and a quipping speedster named Johnny Rocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
ironhide1 wrote:
There are plenty of named heroes in the universe. Here's the official list: https://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse

There's an ongoing 'Letters Page' podcast giving extensive stories of the heroes: http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/

I suspect he was asking about Mutants & Masterminds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very flawed RPG unfortunately. You have to put roll restrictions on everything or else it's stupid easy to OP characters. You need legitimate handicaps on characters and i don't mean giving hero points. Might as well play over the phone so you can pass secret info to players the entire time. That way they never know a hundred percent what's going on but enjoy the mystery. Only so much you can do before everything gets samie and you'd just rather play a well structured RPG. Super hero's RPGs are not easy so I still give them props for trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
ironhide1 wrote:
Asmor wrote:
dthurston wrote:
ironhide1 wrote:

I suspect he was asking about Mutants & Masterminds

Yep, but I appreciate the effort anyway, and see where the confusion came from (bad wording, bad wording).

The Letter's Page is actually very informative. I've learned a lot in the few episodes they've had so far.

DrFaust wrote:
ironhide1 wrote:

Like the Sentinels universe, Mutants & Masterminds' Earth-Prime setting has a lot of heroes that are analogous to published comic book characters, like a brooding hero with a gadget for every occasion called the Raven and a quipping speedster named Johnny Rocket.

I know there's a lot of hero ground not covered in the Sentinels Card game, but I wonder if it will suffer from having a lot of sameness to the existing lot of heroes from Sentinel Comics. Considering it is a standalone, I would expect the main archetypes to be covered again. Not saying that's a bad thing, just wondering what the approach will be. They certainly can't just cater to us Sentinels fans.

It sounds like they had fun with it. GTGChristopher posted on the subreddit, "Getting to build similarly powered characters in different ways is a blast!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I know there's a lot of hero ground not covered in the Sentinels Card game, but I wonder if it will suffer from having a lot of sameness to the existing lot of heroes from Sentinel Comics. Considering it is a standalone, I would expect the main archetypes to be covered again. Not saying that's a bad thing, just wondering what the approach will be. They certainly can't just cater to us Sentinels fans.
Christopher Badell addressed this in a Reddit thread. From https://www.reddit.com/r/sentinelsmultiverse/comments/5u0iay...:
Quote:
...Someone above talked about what to do with multiple different speedsters and such, and that's actually a thing I'm really excited about. Getting to build similarly powered characters in different ways is a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
That's a very flawed RPG unfortunately. You have to put roll restrictions on everything or else it's stupid easy to OP characters. You need legitimate handicaps on characters and i don't mean giving hero points. Might as well play over the phone so you can pass secret info to players the entire time. That way they never know a hundred percent what's going on but enjoy the mystery. Only so much you can do before everything gets samie and you'd just rather play a well structured RPG. Super hero's RPGs are not easy so I still give them props for trying.

I don't understand how you can have OP characters in a RPG if GM knows what he is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the powers increase exponentially. It's really easy to fall into a broken character.

For example, the power Duplication can create a copy of yourself per point you put into it, all with your other powers. A rank 10 super speed allows you to for example, you have +40 to initiative checks, can perform routine actions normally requiring two hours in just 6 seconds, and have a ground speed of 2,000 miles per hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a M&M fan and intrigued by SotM, but I never liked the artwork.
It could be a great way to get in! I look forward to the Kickstarter announcement in April

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
insightfulstrike wrote:
A lot of the powers increase exponentially. It's really easy to fall into a broken character.

For example, the power Duplication can create a copy of yourself per point you put into it, all with your other powers. A rank 10 super speed allows you to for example, you have +40 to initiative checks, can perform routine actions normally requiring two hours in just 6 seconds, and have a ground speed of 2,000 miles per hour!

If anything, that's kind of under-powered. Super-speed is a god-tier superpower. The only things remotely comparable to it would be time travel (which is frequently something speedsters are capable of anyway) or reality manipulation (which is something a speedster capable of time travel can do...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems quite a lot has changed in the RPG world since I last paid any attention. The d20 concept sounds interesting & the licensing concept borrowed from shareware/open source is definitely an interesting development.

It looks from the little information out there they have a points buy system in place? Sounds like concepts cribbed from the venerable Champions. ...and looking around, holy smokes! That one is still around?! That was (maybe still is?) the gold standard for superhero RPGs.

Many many happy hours spent building Champions characters and playing them back in the day. That's part of my attraction to SotM. So, I am happy to see more material coming for the SotM "system."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My major question is how will this work with the video game? Because it would be awkward to have the base SOTM set required for people who want to just do Earth Prime, but it also would be rather annoying to have to use a physical copy if I want to play with a mix of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that this won't be added to the video game at all.

Not saying it won't. Just saying that would be the safest assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And they just posted an update on Season 2's Kickstarter stating they'll do their best to make it so that you can use them together if the video game stretch goal is reached. Will be sad if it fails but am picking up a physical copy to help insure it doesn't. And that way I still have it if it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.