Hide
6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: I hated all the die rolls, here is how I fixed it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SudoMake MeASandwich
msg tools
I just bought this game (2nd edition) and played thru the first scenario. I was disappointed in the excessive reliance on dice. It felt like there wasn't any real decision making.
So I've come up with this system to replace the dice:

Each Investigator has a fate pool that can contains 5 fate tokens. There are 3 different types of token corresponding to each different face of the dice: blank, investigation (clue symbol), elder(success).

At the start of the game each Investigator rolls 5 dice and takes fate tokens corresponding to the result.

When ever some effect or event calls for dices instead the Investigator must use a fate token from their pool. You still use clues to convert investigation token to success. After tokens have been used, roll dice to replenish your pool back to 5.

With this system you still can get run of bad luck, but you'll know that it's coming and possibly prepare for it. You can also somewhat save your good luck. I'm currently experimenting with the size of the pool. I was thinking 7, but the game only comes with 5 dice.

If you want to add a little more decision making to your game give this a try. I would love to here feedback from anyone who has use this system. Did it make the game easier, just as hard? Did you like it over just dice roll? What size pool did you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agent8261 wrote:

With this system you still can get run of bad luck, but you'll know that it's coming and possibly prepare for it.

Why is this better?

Why, in a game about the universe treating us as insignificant beings beneath notice should we have *any* control over our own fate?

These games have always been mini-rpgs, and as such, typically rely on dice to determine if the action *desired* can be carried out by the *characters*.

- -
Also - this is a proposed variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course this makes it easier. You can game every situation and even fish for high rolls before taking a risky action. Also high stat characters lose their benefit. I feel like it would remove to much tension from the dicision process. I think the character stats, clue tokens and items already offer me the control I want.
If you use this system, and want a more euro feel, consider increasing the difficulty of every check by one or two to keep stats relevant. It would be interesting to have more skill tests impossible for some characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
This just seems super wierd to me, as it takes away any tension of the game, and if you have to use up the results then you have to roll just as many dice, just at a different time, or what am I missing? Or do you just use what you need but then what are blanks for? If you roll all blanks then you have to go and use up them on less dangerous things like sorting through a stack of paper and then hope for a good pool so you can go and fight a monster? That is a totally different game and I feel it is far removed from the theme. Have I totally misunderstood what you are saying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High stat is still good to cycle through the misses faster.
If I roll a bunch of blanks, I'll go try to do high stay tests to cycle through my blanks and get to the reroll.
But on the other hand, if I have a lot of successes, it pays to go for low stat tests so I don't have to use more successes than I need and can save the rest for later. It's a bit weird in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.