Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that per the rules once a character completes their life goal they must be retired upon returning to Gloomhaven.

When else will you choose to switch characters?

Is anyone maxing out a character and using it for many more scenarios without trying to complete the life goal and not worrying about changing characters?

Is anyone swapping characters early well before completing a life goal just to try out another character? What about going back to a previously benched character?

As I understand it, we can mix up the party whenever we want (while in town) so I could regularly play with two or more characters.

Is the game designed so that the difficulty level closely tracks with character levels? In other words, if everyone in my party is slow to level up (possibly due to swapping out characters often and never getting anyone to a high level) will scenarios later in the campaign be about as difficult as if we had been attempting to max out levels, or more or less difficult? I'm not sure whether the game is designed to give players incentive to level up so that scenarios become relatively easier when we do so.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our goal has been to retire ASAP, though many of our goals are really tough and can't be completed yet (mostly due to ignorance when originally choosing them). This is more or less the best of both worlds, as we're actively trying to progress the game world but also hanging onto our characters long enough to play them a lot.

In terms of party consistency, there is no problem swapping in new characters at any time, so long as you're cool with that inevitably delaying the completion of many personal goals.

I whipped up a Mindthief and Cragheart to play solitaire while my group was not available, then two new players grabbed those characters and rolled with them on future plays. It's a pretty flexible system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As you can easily see from the Rule Book (available here in the files section), the scenario level is set to the sum of the levels of all player characters, divided by the number of players and then rounded up. So the scenario level always scales with player level and should never be either way too hard or way too easy, and should pose a fair challenge throughout the whole campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Each scenario can be played at any character level and it adjusts difficulty by the level of the monsters placed.

That being said, I'm not far enough in to say whether higher levels get easier, harder or stay about the same. The design, at least, tries to accommodate many approaches to character swapping and mixed levels.

You should feel free to proceed however you like. For myself, I'm neither rushing nor holding back on retirement goals. I've stuck with a particular duo of characters so far (for my solo plays), but don't feel obligated to keep them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyegleam wrote:
As you can easily see from the Rule Book (available here in the files section), the scenario level is set to the sum of the levels of all player characters, divided by the number of players and then rounded up. So the scenario level always scales with player level and should never be either way too hard or way too easy, and should pose a fair challenge throughout the whole campaign.

This doesn't answer the question about relative difficulty as the campaign goes along. This formula and other existing variables still allow the designer to make the game relatively easier for higher level characters as the campaign develops, if that's his goal. I'm not sure whether he designed it to benefit players who level up or whether going into the most difficult scenarios in the late campaign would be just about as tough with all level 1 characters. The formula doesn't necessarily answer this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To take it to the extreme, would it be about equally difficult to complete the entire campaign while choosing to never level up a character. Take a party through the entire thing at level 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, we just don't have enough information upfront to know that without someone spoiling content and design choices from the tail-end of the campaign and related missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Honestly, we just don't have enough information upfront to know that without someone spoiling content and design choices from the tail-end of the campaign and related missions.

I wouldn't expect anyone to reveal any scenario spoilers in order to answer the question, but I could see how the question itself may or may not be considered a spoiler by the designer. He could just as easily say that the game was designed to be approximately equally difficult for characters of all levels throughout the campaign, or not, or that the answer to the question is a secret. I wouldn't be surprised by any of the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster levels are designed to be equally difficult as you level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am rushing toward retirement just because I want to see the new classes. Unforunately, the goals I had gave me 2 options: a goal that seemed like a huge problem for the party but would unlock a class symbol that looks reaaaaallly cool to me, or a more feasible goal that unlocks something I'm kinda 'meh' about at the moment. I picked the latter. shake

This means that when I DO retire my Mindthief, my option for my next class might actually just be one of the original we haven't used yet.

My problem with swapping out before retirement is that you will extend the amount of time it is going to take to retire any single class. Not a problem for everyone, but I am really excited to see who else is in all those nifty little class boxes. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
The monster levels are designed to be equally difficult as you level up.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I am rushing toward retirement just because I want to see the new classes. Unforunately, the goals I had gave me 2 options: a goal that seemed like a huge problem for the party but would unlock a class symbol that looks reaaaaallly cool to me, or a more feasible goal that unlocks something I'm kinda 'meh' about at the moment. I picked the latter. shake

This means that when I DO retire my Mindthief, my option for my next class might actually just be one of the original we haven't used yet.

My problem with swapping out before retirement is that you will extend the amount of time it is going to take to retire any single class. Not a problem for everyone, but I am really excited to see who else is in all those nifty little class boxes. meeple

How do you know whether a currently locked new class looks cool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
soakman wrote:

How do you know whether a currently locked new class looks cool?

I just mean the symbol on the box. Like, one is clearly a music note, soooo I assume it is some kind of bard or something, which I always enjoy playing.

The music note wasn't the one that I drew first, it was a different one, but the symbol combined with the life-goal card got me speculating...

:B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I just mean the symbol on the box. Like, one is clearly a music note, soooo I assume it is some kind of bard or something, which I always enjoy playing.

I got that quest. I finished painting the mini yesterday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted this before, but I'll do so again. I should probably put it in variants. This system works AWESOME for us.

1) We play the entire game with ONE and only one party sheet. This resolves all "conflicts" caused by multiple parties.
2) We are a gang/group of mercenaries that occasionally lets other join our group, but ONLY ONE of each class. This means that once all six starting classes have been created once, this IS your party. If you want to play a Scoundrel, you play the one that has already been created (until he/she retires).
3) This allows for endless variety. If you're getting a little weary of your Tinkerer, play the Cragheart your friend created the next time.
4) Only the characters who are in a scenario get the xp, perks and loot from that scenario. But location unlocks, prosperity increases, achievements, etc, affect everyone in the gang. Why object to someone else playing your character on a night you miss, since you're getting more XP, check marks, and money?
5) Right now we are only allowing the player who CREATED a given character to buy/sell their equipment, choose their perks, choose their level up skills, and buy their upgrades. This is their right as the original creator of that character, but they can certainly listen to advise from others on what to choose. After each session we let all players who were not present know who was used, what was gained, and what occurred in the scenario.
6) This system works great in allowing new players to try the game out. They choose someone's already created character and start playing! Since there's no permadeath, why not? Saves character creation time too.
7) Once a character retires (hasn't happened yet) and unlocks another class, we will expand our roster of gang members to 7, then 8, etc.

Note that players have to be willing to share their characters AND retirement goals with each other. Why not? We actually like knowing how we can help each other out in this way, but others may not like this style. Anyway, this works GREAT for our friendly gaming group so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Veihmeyer
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eric, I love this idea! It takes all the messy ways we've considered and convinced them neatly into something that works and feels good. We will probably adopt this in our group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roarmalf wrote:
Eric, I love this idea! It takes all the messy ways we've considered and convinced them neatly into something that works and feels good. We will probably adopt this in our group

Thanks. As long as players don't mind sharing it works great. I posted this in variants now too. I note in that thread that Perks become somewhat tedious, as players may need to tweak the modifier deck before each scenario as they level up. But this can easily be done in less than 5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.