Subject: A miraculous moment... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
My PhD thesis - available at all good booksellers... ;0)
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had more time available to give this wonderful game the review it deserves.

Rather than wait for a more opportune moment, I hope you'll forgive me for saying something briefly, rather than not at all...

In common with many others on here, my wife can't tolerate gaming, finding it time-consuming, attritional and boring.

Then, out of the blue, a perfect storm contrived to put a game on our table that piqued her interest.

Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 is set in Budapest, the city of her genealogical heritage, including a rule-set with a co-operative option. I got on the Kickstarter in a heartbeat.

Last night, after previously playing it solo to cut down on explaining-time, I set it up for us to play together, against the Russian AI card-system.

My pre-emptive rule-learning paid dividends as no time was wasted in looking stuff up, keeping us focused on achieving our success-criteria. The rules, by the way, are an exercise in clarity, raising zero issues of interpretation or application.

My wife was hugely impressed by the game's graphics and intuitive symbology, cranking up her interest to unprecedented levels.

The theme is compelling and the choices multifarious as we plotted together how we could throw off the Communist jack-boot. We quickly regretted some of our ill-informed choices, reaping a whirlwind of accumulating Russian attrition.

Nonetheless, we fought on against the odds and as a few snipers were dispatched, optimism briefly spurred us forwards, thinking we could derail the Red Storm.

Reality quickly overtook these delusions and as the game heralded The Turning of the Tide in the third-stage, our brave revolutionaries were swept away by Russian re-inforcements and dwindling morale (in the game).

On the penultimate day of our resistance, all hope was lost and with the arrival of countless T-34s we buckled under the weight.

In an utterly unique denouement, my wife announced at the game's close, that we should tackle it again tomorrow. In other words, for the first time in our married life, my wife voluntarily offered to play a game on two consecutive nights. Further, the second night in question was Valentine's day; so, after our special evening meal, we will do the most romantic thing any couple can do together and play Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 for the second time (okay, maybe not the most romantic thing, but I am overcome by superlative situation...)

I realise that calling this a 'review' is pushing the boundaries of definition, but I hope this once-in-a-lifetime circumstance will offer me respite from criticism?

The moral of the story?

If you are a gamer whose wife is antithetically opposed to joining in your passion, don't lose hope. It's taken me over a decade, but that's forgotten in the glow of our epic shared-gaming-experience.

Hang in there brethren - never quit trying...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really glad I backed this on KS. Production is great and the rules look to be one of the most well-written sets I've seen. However, I think the chances of me getting my wife to play it are zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
The questions is, if not for your wife, would you have praised the game as much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
The questions is, if not for your wife, would you have praised the game as much?

Truthfully? Yes, I would.

I'd go so far as to say that even if you were only ever going to play this solo, it's still worth every penny.

For me, it's infuriatingly difficult to win, but I like that and as soon as I've finished playing a game, I am already plotting how to attack it again with a new strategy.

It's gone straight into my top-five-ever games and I really don't say that lightly; in fact, I am surprised how much its won me over in such a short time - that doesn't usually happen, not since Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Hungarian but except for being aware of its existence, dunno a thing about this game. Which I do know, however, is that your description how your 1st game went was pretty similar to the actual course of the historical event itself. If that is any indication, you're facing an (almost) impossible task to stop the Red Tide.

And hey, congrats for getting your wife hooked! This might as well be the first of many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihály Vincze
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thechangingman wrote:
In other words, for the first time in our married life, my wife voluntarily offered to play a game on two consecutive nights.

I think we can finally announce it officially that this game was worth making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really great to hear.

Just a quick question: you say you "as a few snipers were dispatched" - these were dispatched by using the Ambush card, then using the cards that let you search through the discard pile to get the Ambush back to re-use it, yes? You can't (as far as I remember) directly attack Snipers, only Milita.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story Martyn, I'm glad both you and your wife are liking it!

If you come to the UK game expo in the summer, be sure to drop by our booth and say hi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
That's really great to hear.

Just a quick question: you say you "as a few snipers were dispatched" - these were dispatched by using the Ambush card, then using the cards that let you search through the discard pile to get the Ambush back to re-use it, yes? You can't (as far as I remember) directly attack Snipers, only Milita.

Yes, I can confirm it was via the former option, which I was glad to discover - those snipers are very annoying!! The artwork is also very disturbing on the ambush card, hitting them with a spanner would be gory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
I'd go so far as to say that even if you were only ever going to play this solo, it's still worth every penny.

For me, it's infuriatingly difficult to win, but I like that and as soon as I've finished playing a game, I am already plotting how to attack it again with a new strategy.

That about covers it for me. It's just a great game and it was a very well run Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent write-up that's made me realise I need to get off my backside and learn the rules to my copy too, which is currently sitting atop my gaming shelves eyeing my accusingly. Interestingly, my otherwise (mostly) non-gamer wife who is also of Hungarian heritage asked me to pledge for this game - can we get a microbadge for this??

Thanks for the review Martyn, and thanks for the game Mihály and David - I'll hopefully see you guys at the UKGE when I can get away from my stand for a wander. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
If you come to the UK game expo in the summer, be sure to drop by our booth and say hi! :)

Ah, you have a booth this year rather than wandering around grabbing unsuspecting passers-by, then =8) Though, to be fair, it was me that approached you last year. I'll definitely make sure we stop by and say hello again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
TDaver wrote:
If you come to the UK game expo in the summer, be sure to drop by our booth and say hi!

Ah, you have a booth this year rather than wander around grabbing unsuspecting passers-by, then =8) Though, to be fair, it was me that approached you last year. I'll definitely make sure we stop by and say hello again.

Yes, this year I'll be representing both MindClash games and Cloud Island at UKGE. We'll have Days of Ire, Trickerion and Anachrony to sell probably, and show off nice prototypes of Petrichor, Cerebria: The Inside World, and ....

oops I almost gave away the surprise there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Excellent write-up that's made me realise I need to get off my backside and learn the rules to my copy too, which is currently sitting atop my gaming shelves eyeing my accusingly. Interestingly, my otherwise (mostly) non-gamer wife who is also of Hungarian heritage asked me to pledge for this game - can we get a microbadge for this??

Thanks for the review Martyn, and thanks for the game Mihály and David - I'll hopefully see you guys at the UKGE when I can get away from my stand for a wander. cool

You really must get this to the table, it's a real gem!! I have played this solo a few times and my 9 year old son insists on watching me do so; he is fascinated by the game play and visuals and cannot wait until he is ready to play this himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turoscsusza wrote:

I think we can finally announce it officially that this game was worth making.

Definitely!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
I wish I had more time available to give this wonderful game the review it deserves.

Rather than wait for a more opportune moment, I hope you'll forgive me for saying something briefly, rather than not at all...

In common with many others on here, my wife can't tolerate gaming, finding it time-consuming, attritional and boring.

Then, out of the blue, a perfect storm contrived to put a game on our table that piqued her interest.

Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 is set in Budapest, the city of her genealogical heritage, including a rule-set with a co-operative option. I got on the Kickstarter in a heartbeat.

Last night, after previously playing it solo to cut down on explaining-time, I set it up for us to play together, against the Russian AI card-system.

My pre-emptive rule-learning paid dividends as no time was wasted in looking stuff up, keeping us focused on achieving our success-criteria. The rules, by the way, are an exercise in clarity, raising zero issues of interpretation or application.

My wife was hugely impressed by the game's graphics and intuitive symbology, cranking up her interest to unprecedented levels.

The theme is compelling and the choices multifarious as we plotted together how we could throw off the Communist jack-boot. We quickly regretted some of our ill-informed choices, reaping a whirlwind of accumulating Russian attrition.

Nonetheless, we fought on against the odds and as a few snipers were dispatched, optimism briefly spurred us forwards, thinking we could derail the Red Storm.

Reality quickly overtook these delusions and as the game heralded The Turning of the Tide in the third-stage, our brave revolutionaries were swept away by Russian re-inforcements and dwindling morale (in the game).

On the penultimate day of our resistance, all hope was lost and with the arrival of countless T-34s we buckled under the weight.

In an utterly unique denouement, my wife announced at the game's close, that we should tackle it again tomorrow. In other words, for the first time in our married life, my wife voluntarily offered to play a game on two consecutive nights. Further, the second night in question was Valentine's day; so, after our special evening meal, we will do the most romantic thing any couple can do together and play Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 for the second time (okay, maybe not the most romantic thing, but I am overcome by superlative situation...)

I realise that calling this a 'review' is pushing the boundaries of definition, but I hope this once-in-a-lifetime circumstance will offer me respite from criticism?

The moral of the story?

If you are a gamer whose wife is antithetically opposed to joining in your passion, don't lose hope. It's taken me over a decade, but that's forgotten in the glow of our epic shared-gaming-experience.

Hang in there brethren - never quit trying...

Send some beer/pizza vouchers to the authors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further Update: Yesterday my wife actually played another game of Ire with me ON SATURDAY NIGHT and she really enjoyed it, in fact, it was the first time we've won.

This game has ramped up the excellence of my marriage!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.