Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Ans
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I wanted to clarify if I am understanding the end of a player's turn discard rule. So if at the end of your turn you have gems that were not used to buy an item or spells that could not be prepped then you have to carry them to the next round. So essentially you can never discard a card unless it was used for some purpose. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. However, you can play gem cards to gain the aether, but never actually spend it. Spells and relics are generally stuck in you hand until you prep or play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ans
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Can you clarify what you mean by spend the gems to "gain the aether?" Is this to gain a charge? Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automatische Piloot
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jansar1 wrote:
Thanks for the response. Can you clarify what you mean by spend the gems to "gain the aether?" Is this to gain a charge? Thanks again.

No this is not specifically for gaining charges. It's more like 'overpaying' to empty your wallet. But gaining a charge is a good thing to do when you do spend the aether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play gem cards you gain a certain amount of aether in a pool. You then purchase cards and charges using the aether in that pool. This means that you can have more aether in the pool than you actually can or want to use in a turn.
That's useful if you just want to get rid of gem cards in your hand. Normally this means playing an extra crystal, to gain 1 aether that you can't buy anything with, in the hopes that you draw something better for the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
jansar1 wrote:
So essentially you can never discard a card unless it was used for some purpose.

I'll add that some cards allow you to discard other cards, in order to gain a benefit, without the card being played for its own effect.

Such effects would be Essence Theft, for instance, which lets you discard 1 card in hand to heal a player 1 life. A gem lets you discard 1 card so an ally can draw 1 card.

These effects don't happen at the end of your turn but they let you play around unused spells and relics anyway and help you draw a new hand when necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.