Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know these 3 "systems" represent different scales, but I'm curious on opinions between Nations at War, War Storm series, and Mark's Dauntless/Red Winter games.
I'm diving in to ASL full so it would be nice to have a slightly higher level/scale game that is also slightly less of a brain burner to play on the off days.

Opinions please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I answer here too?

From Facebook Reply wrote:
Red Winter = Excellent.

Nations at War is fun and a chit pull is always nice.

Dauntless I own on the strength of Red Winter (and was afraid it too would sell out and be rare), but have yet to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of those systems but I applaud you for diving into ASL - welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Try either Paths to Hell, La Bataille de France, 1940 or A las Barricadas! (2nd Edition) from the War Storms Series.

All of them are very good !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944 is as complicated as Operational Combat Series or even Musket & Pike Battle Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Should I answer here too?

From Facebook Reply wrote:
Red Winter = Excellent.

Nations at War is fun and a chit pull is always nice.

Dauntless I own on the strength of Red Winter (and was afraid it too would sell out and be rare), but have yet to play.

I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I suggest you download the pdf of the rules and compare.

The rules for WSS can be found on the BGG La Bataille de France, 1940 site.

The rules for Operation Dauntless are at Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944.

Never played Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 but I am told it is simpler then OD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no experience with War Stories, so I can't comment on it.

I also haven't played Nations at War, but I have played a bit of it's cold war predecessor World at War. It's fun, and I think it's one of the easier platoon level games out there, but it's very heavy on the wristage (dice rolling). It can feel a bit 'gamey' too, with save roles and such.

Paths to Hell/War Storm Series is currently my favorite platoon-level wargame/series. There's a great variety of scenarios and forces, and it does a good job showing the differences in troop types/quality and command quality/style. I'd rate it as a little heavier than World at War, but not much, and it's less random since formation activations are impulse based rather than chit pull.

Red Winter/Operation Dauntless some of my very favorite games. Playable, realistic grand tactical WWII games. Red Winter is elegance defined, and I think that's what threw a lot of people about Op Dauntless. Op Dauntless isn't THAT much more complex, but it does include a lot more stuff and accompanying rules for the stuff. In that regard, it's kind of like ASL, in that there are rules for a lot of things that are conditional and thus don't come up that much. I think it'd still fairly elegant, once you get down to playing it, but it's very different from RW because it's focused more on armored/mechanized warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.