Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to share a single moment from my game this weekend with my son. It isn't a full session, I know, but it's a session-lite and it perfectly displays one of the main reasons we love the game so much.

In Prose:

Luke, having been captured by Darth Vader while attempting to sabotage the Imperial Star Destroyer factory on Utapau, patiently awaited rescue. Fearing that rescue was imminent, and knowing the impact it would have on the Rebellion, Vader traveled back to the planet to encase his son in Cryptonite Carbonite but was foiled is his attempt by Han Solo. With Han waiting to assist, Obi-Wan set out as well to rescue young Luke. Though Boba Fett joined the Sith Lord in hopes of stopping the old Jedi, his mission was a success and Luke was freed from his bounds. But the Empire had one more trick up its sleeve and turned the tides back on Old Ben, capturing him in Luke's stead. Understanding the true power of sacrifice, Obi-Won gave his life rather than be captive and the Rebellion grew stronger in its promise to avenge him.

In GameSpeak:

My son had successfully captured Luke after he failed a mission to sabotage Utapau in the previous round. Hoping to drop my reputation, he used to Vader to attempt a mission to freeze Luke in carbonite. I sent Han Solo out to oppose the attempt and lucked out on my dice roll and succeeded. For my next command, I sent Obi-Wan to the same planet on a rescue mission. My son sent Boba Fett to oppose with Darth but, between Han and Old Ben, I was able to succeed. As a response, my son played the It Is Your Destiny action card and turned the tables on the Jedi, capturing him instead. I returned the favor with the Noble Sacrifice, which took Obi-Wan from the game but pushed my Reputation up one.

I did end up winning the game in the end but only because my son decided to head to Dantooine with the Death Star after obliterating Dathomir instead of Yavin, where I was hiding.

This game is chock full of moments like this. If you are any kind of star wars fan, it's a must have.

**edit** referenced appropriate IP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
Vader traveled back to the planet to encase his son in Cryptonite

*Triggered*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
MhidDa wrote:
Vader traveled back to the planet to encase his son in Cryptonite

*Triggered*

waait...is that different than Carbonite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your son?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mideg wrote:
How old is your son?

15 and a half. Been bringing him to the table since he was a little un (like my littlest actually who is 6). They started the game as a team (working as one player) but the eldest finished it up. They are both enormous star wars fans so all the little tie ins to the movies is a huge bonus to a pretty slick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stuff like this is the reason I love this game. While the forums are often full of threads on dominant strategies and such (and I totally get that, it is a game after all), I prefer to immerse myself in the awesome storytelling experience that the game allows for.

Something like this (other than the obvious out of canon appearance by Ben) could easily be the plot of one of the new Marvel runs, or even be worked into an episode of Rebels. Yet here it comes out organically, through a single round (I assume) of Rebellion.

Pretty cool stuff, thanks for the share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Doak
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Had a very similar experience with my son yesterday (7). He had attempted to capture Princess Leia and I sent Jan to the rescue, which was when he flipped the tides on me and captured the latter. As it was our first play it certainly caught me by surprise and he relished the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.