Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a question about the phrase

"When the leader moves into a hex with another unit, the unit he joins with is not ordered".

Say a section card is played that allows 2 units to be ordered.

The players leader is on hex "A"
A unit without a leader is on hex "C"

Hex "B" is vacant and next to an enemy.

The player orders the unit and the leader.

First, The unit moves to hex B.
Next, the leader moves to hex B and joins the unit which just moved.

Movement is now over.

Is the unit in hex B now permitted to battle the adjacent enemy & get the leader bonus ?

Or does the "the unit he joins is not ordered" clause somehow end that units turn ?

Thanks,
-T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unit is allowed to battle; the phrase about not ordering a unit when a leader attaches is there to indicate that, although the leader piece itself is ordered, when it attaches to a unit it does result in that unit being ordered also. In your example, the unit is otherwise ordered separately, so it may battle (i.e. the act of attaching a leader does not 'de-order' a unit either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, the rule is there to prevent you from squeezing out another order iof you hadn't already ordered the unit being attached to by the leader. it is alos in place so that you do not increase the movement capabilities of the leader (by moving his full allotment to the unit, and then moving that unit it's allotment thus increasing the leader's overall movement).

This concept was also present with generals in Battle Cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for the quick replies. That is how I thought it should be played, but just wanted to check !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you progress, you will likely find more questions-- leaders alone in a hex provide many pesky permutations.

Check the forum index for "Rules." The threads "Leader/Unit Reattachment," "Error in current FAQ," and "Leadership Orders..." all have points on this subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Tosti
Italy
Foligno
Umbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony,
to further answer your question I think that it should be added that that unit, which the leader has been attached to, cannot momentum advance and battle again that turn, since it did not start the turn with the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how you came to that decision.

First, ANYONE can momentum advance, regardless of whether they have a leader or not.

Bonus combat is a different story, but here the rules say:

Quote:
A non-warrior foot unit with an attached leader (except for
War Machines) may make a bonus Close Combat after a Momentum
Advance.

That's from "Bonus Close Combat" in the rules.

"Summary of Leader Benefits" says:

Quote:
3. allows any foot unit to which it is attached to make a bonus
Close Combat attack after a Momentum Advance (see Momentum
Advance).

I don't see anything that suggests the leader had to be attached at the beginning of the move to get the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Tosti
Italy
Foligno
Umbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, you're right.
I was convinced about that rule, and always played accordingly, because of the misunderstanding of the following statement of the rules, from the paragraph on Movement:

Quote:

A leader may detach from one unit, move, and attach to another,
but a leader may not move again with a unit he has just joined.

I thought that the "moving again" included the momentum advance, but the specific rules don't mention this exception at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Bonus combat is a different story, but here the rules say:

Quote:
A non-warrior foot unit with an attached leader (except for
War Machines) may make a bonus Close Combat after a Momentum
Advance.

That's from "Bonus Close Combat" in the rules.

"Summary of Leader Benefits" says:

Quote:
3. allows any foot unit to which it is attached to make a bonus
Close Combat attack after a Momentum Advance (see Momentum
Advance).

I don't see anything that suggests the leader had to be attached at the beginning of the move to get the bonus.

"A leader in the same hex with a friendly unit at the start of the player’s turn is said to be “attached” to the unit."

Page 7, http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/CC_Rules_2009.pdf

So the leader is not attached to the new unit, because they didn't start the turn with it, so they don't get the bonus close combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:

"A leader in the same hex with a friendly unit at the start of the player’s turn is said to be “attached” to the unit."

Page 7, http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/CC_Rules_2009.pdf

So the leader is not attached to the new unit, because they didn't start the turn with it, so they don't get the bonus close combat.

I think this sentence refers to the case in which the unit, but NOT the leader, is ordered and it signifies that the leader, albeit not ordered, can move (and combat) with the unit.

A few periods later, it is said: "An ordered leader may detach from one unit that has not yet moved, and then move and attach to another unit." This refers to the case in which the leader IS ordered and, by moving, it is attached to a unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.