Subject: disengagement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Say I play Daraa #220 as US. I improve governance in Syria from Poor to Fair and place an Awakening marker as per event. Do I not also remove said Awakening marker due to disengagement rule 11.1.5? Does this mean the card is essentially a wash on Awakening but a shift in US favor on governance? In essence, any card pairing a player-favorable governance shift with placement of an awakening/reaction marker is a wash on awakening/reaction ultimately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the card literally, you should shift Governance up and THEN add the Awakening marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed on the card itself, but reading the disengagement rule, "Every time a country improves its Governance one level for whatever reason (including Event effects), Remove one Awakening marker (if present). Every time a country degrades its Governance one level for whatever reason, remove one
Reaction marker (if present). Shifts in Alignment do not remove
Awakening/Reaction markers." This is what has me reading this as a wash on the Awakening front, although I think the spirit of the card is clearly that you'd gain Awakening. The "including Event effects" part of the rule text is what throws me off here. Reading the Daraa card and applying this rule, I suppose it means the governance shift definitely happens, and if there is no Awakening marker you get one; if there is one already, there's in essence no change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think reading literally and sequentially is required by the rules. This is certainly the case in the COIN series (with which Labyrinth shares a lot of DNA).

"Every time a country improves its Governance one level for whatever reason (including Event effects), Remove one Awakening marker (if present)" means just that: if the country *already* had an Awakening marker present before the event, it would certainly be removed by this event, but the card's new Awakening marker is not yet present at the time of the card's Governance shift, so it is unaffected.

It's easy to assume that the whole card effect occurs simultaneously, but it doesn't. In Labyrinth everything is one step at a time in a strict order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulusBorgia wrote:
Agreed on the card itself, but reading the disengagement rule, "Every time a country improves its Governance one level for whatever reason (including Event effects), Remove one Awakening marker (if present). Every time a country degrades its Governance one level for whatever reason, remove one
Reaction marker (if present). Shifts in Alignment do not remove
Awakening/Reaction markers." This is what has me reading this as a wash on the Awakening front, although I think the spirit of the card is clearly that you'd gain Awakening. The "including Event effects" part of the rule text is what throws me off here. Reading the Daraa card and applying this rule, I suppose it means the governance shift definitely happens, and if there is no Awakening marker you get one; if there is one already, there's in essence no change.

You are correct here. In Daraa's case, if there was no Awakening marker, then there will be 1 Awakening marker after the event. If there was at least 1 present, then there should be no change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulus Borgia
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I'm doing it right as I'm running the game for a classroom full of students at my university, and we're about to embark on the second half of the campaign game where these rules become critical. Not sure if this is really just a wrinkle for Daraa or would be the case on other cards too, but I'll keep the disengagement principle in mind as absolute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, the change in Governance occurs before the Awakening or Reaction marker is placed there, so the later placement would not be removed due to Disengagement.

Correct, the events are to occur in the order in which they are read.

I hope the class is enjoying the game...it certainly make current events come alive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.