Subject: Annual post: 18xx at TCTC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 18xx family of games are railroad / stock market games, usually with no or very very little luck and heavy strategy, where the object isn't necessarily to run the best railroad so much as it is to make the most money. The family originated with Francis "Civilisation" Tresham's 1829, followed by Francis and the Avalon Hill design team's 1830: Railways & Robber Barons. For more information, see the 18xx "Family" entry.

Terminal City Tabletop Convention http://www.terminalcitytabletop.com/ is happening on 4-5 March. As is now an Ancient And Time-Honored Tradition, I'll be running an introductory 18xx game on Sunday morning. This year the session nominally starts at nine; my intention is to be there at nine for setup and teaching, and start the actual games no later than ten.

I expect to use Tom "Race For The Galaxy" Lehmann's 1846: The Race for the Midwest for teaching purposes, but I'll bring other games (1889, 1830, maybe 1849) as well, in case there's interest in more complex / more harsh games. Two years ago we had a shark show up and eat everyone alive in the 1830 game, so, there's that.

This also serves as advertising for the Terminal City 18xx contingent (see 2017 Terminal City 18xx), which I'd love to have more regular players for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for doing this Tucker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Tucker, it's a little late days for me to shoot for this in 2017 now, but if we were able to muster players enough, would it be possible to have all day 18XX going on at TCTC? If there were players enough committing to playing 18XX both days of the weekend, I'd be willing to make the trip to Vancouver to join in. Could possibly have another one or two as well if the numbers are compelling enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Tucker, it's a little late days for me to shoot for this in 2017 now, but if we were able to muster players enough, would it be possible to have all day 18XX going on at TCTC? If there were players enough committing to playing 18XX both days of the weekend, I'd be willing to make the trip to Vancouver to join in. Could possibly have another one or two as well if the numbers are compelling enough.

Yeah, I'm running way late this year. This past six months have been hell on my trying to organize anything. (Buying a house, among other things, has sapped all my time and energy.)

If we got it together sufficiently ahead of time (say, mid-to-late January, which is when I usually try to get this wrangled) I'm pretty sure we could have at least one 18xx game going for the length of the convention. I'd certainly be up for that, and I expect a couple of the other TC18xxers would as well.

There's also the Trumpeter club's annual Trumpeter Salute: http://trumpetergaming.weebly.com/salute-2017.html
They've got a contingent of 18xx'ers including Bill Dixon, and they've generally got games running for the whole time. My experience with them at monthly meetings wasn't wholly positive; they're a bunch of guys who've been gaming with each other for ages and ages, they're (understandably) not always wholly willing to accommodate one additional person if the game's full, and they like 1870 a whole lot more than I do. (Also they prefer to use paper money, which isn't bad so much as baffling.) The year I went to the Salute it was alright, the timing just hasn't worked out for me lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to be in, Tucker, but I just don't know if I'm going to arrive on time on Sunday. I'm definitely interested, but I think I'll just have to see if a game can start whenever I get there on Sunday. In other words, just start without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Tucker. I've heard of Bill's group of grognards and their penchant for playing his games with paper money. Doesn't sound terribly enticing, but I am going to make a note for myself to revisit this subject in about 7 months and see if we can make an official 18XX thing happen at the 2018 TCTC. I'd only be interested in leaving the island for guaranteed XX for two days solid. With any luck I might have another player or two to come with, but it seems like you Van area folks have decent numbers now and it could be possible to draw some Seattle folks if there's a definite XX thing going on.

I don't know the first thing about TCTC, however. Is there any chance that there would be resistance to a couple of tables potentially being tied up all weekend for 18XX?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
I don't know the first thing about TCTC, however. Is there any chance that there would be resistance to a couple of tables potentially being tied up all weekend for 18XX?

Shouldn't be, though I can check with Shannon to make sure. That's part of why tickets are limited, I think: to make sure there's enough tables for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.