Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars Nelson
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake, but in the mean time, rest well, and dream of Large Women.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this really throws me off. So we have traps in a scenario, but everyone can see them and knows where they are?! Huh? Aren't traps supposed to be hidden surprises of the worst kind? Yet, in the rule book it would seem that they are always laid out in the open. Of course, there is the problem of how to lay invisible traps when in a game where there is no one playing the bad guys, I get that. I just can't seem to get over this 'Oh, don't step there or you will fall in that obvious pit' thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that some of the chests will have traps. I don't know cos I haven't got my game yet.

Having hidden traps on the floor would require someone to play as DM, and that isn't the way the game was designed.

I'm guessing that pushing or pulling monsters onto traps would be good fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Kaine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I'm guessing that pushing or pulling monsters onto traps would be good fun though.

It can be good fun for them, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I'm guessing that some of the chests will have traps. I don't know cos I haven't got my game yet.

As someone who has the game

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I can confirm that this is definitely the case. Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorgn wrote:
For some reason this really throws me off. So we have traps in a scenario, but everyone can see them and knows where they are?! Huh? Aren't traps supposed to be hidden surprises of the worst kind? Yet, in the rule book it would seem that they are always laid out in the open. Of course, there is the problem of how to lay invisible traps when in a game where there is no one playing the bad guys, I get that. I just can't seem to get over this 'Oh, don't step there or you will fall in that obvious pit' thing.

Yeah, there is no easy logistical way to make them completely invisible. The best you could do I guess is mark some hexes in the scenario book as "Special" which may or may not contain a trap (or something else) when stepped on. There are Pressure Plate overlay tiles that do exactly that but I don't know what they reveal as I haven't done any scenarios with them yet.

Thematically, at least the scenarios we've played, they serve as visible deterrents to protect an area and slow down or damage intruders. They are also used to protect monsters positioned behind them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A lot of counterintuitive aspects of the game make a lot more sense when you realize it's a strategy game with an RPG-esque theme, not an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you want to recapture the disconnect you're felling you could cover the entire map with some type of trap token, with a live/false on the underside. You'd need to get/design your own though as I'm fairly certain there aren't enough in the game for that, i could be wrong though.

(please note I'm still awaiting my copy to arrive, Canadian backer..., and have not played any scenarios)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to be able to see them as pushing and pulling monsters into them is a standard tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you see bear traps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually curious as to whether carefully hidden location-specific mechanically-triggered traps were ever really a thing outside of temporary pits/snares/traps used by hunters to catch game.

Traps on locks and containers, sure. Noisy flooring, yes. Traps triggered by human operation, all over the place. Were actual pressure-plate style traps ever feasible at a medieval level of technology?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for sure you could apply some variant.

for example, you can give a probability to trigger the trap in the hex where is (50%), in adjacent hexes (25%), even adjacent to them (10%).

but i think that the skills to pull or push enemies would be less effective with this kind of variants, so, use them carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goeb
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I have a questions about traps as well - hope its ok to use this thread :

If an ranged enemy is surrounded by traps and a player, do the monster trigger a trap in order to maximize damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, the monster is already in range of its focus and therefore considers the traps as obstacles. Therefore it will attack with disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goeb
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Thank you thats how I played but was not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.