Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: EASY TO MISS RULES rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Gloomhaven [+] [View All]
George Alexandru Dragoi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
- You can ONLY hold a number of Small Items (BAG symbol, such as "heal X damage", "recover X discarded cards", or "add +X attack") EQUAL TO HALF of your level, rounded up. So, you can ONLY take 1 potion with you as equipment until you level higher. All potions refresh automatically at the end of each scenario, and they are 1 use only during a scenario.

- After players have either selected their two action cards or declared a long rest, the players reveal and play ONLY 1 monster ability card for EACH type of monster (both normal AND elite) that has AT LEAST ONE figure currently on the map.

- In a given round, the initiative number from a played monster ability card determines when EVERY monster of that type will perform ONLY the actions listed on that played ability card. ALL monsters of the same type take their turn at the same initiative value listed on their monster ability card. All elites of a type act FIRST, then the normal monsters of that type act. If more than one elite or normal monster of a given type is present on the board, then the monsters act in ASCENDING numerical order according to the numbers on their token.

- If there is a TIE in initiative between a player and a monster, the player goes FIRST.

- Monsters ONLY do the abilities listed in their drawn card. A monster can MOVE on its turn ONLY if “Move±X” is part of its ability card. A monster will ATTACK on its turn ONLY if “Attack±X” is part of its ability card. If their ability card doesn't say MOVE or ATTACK, monsters DO NOT MOVE or ATTACK.

- When a monster dies, if the monster was placed when setting up the room (i.e. not summoned by another creature or spawned), a money token is also placed on the hex where it died.

- Summoned figures NEVER take a turn in the round they are summoned. A summoned figure acts exactly BEFORE the player who summoned it, and its turn is SEPARATE from the player's turn. Multiple different summoned figures of the SAME PLAYER act in the SAME ORDER in which they were played (summoned). A summoned figure obey automated monster movement rules, permanently following the ability card “Move+0, Attack+0” and using 1 attack modifier card (played) from the player’s attack modifier deck to perform its attacks.

- A character will LOOT any money tokens or treasure tiles present in the hex he occupies at the end of the character's turn. End-of-turn looting is NOT optional. If there are money or treasure tiles in your hex at the end of your turn, you have to loot them. Anything not looted during the scenario is NOT collected. Treasure tiles can only be looted ONCE. After they have been looted, they should be crossed off in the Scenario Book as a reminder.

- You have to perform AT LEAST ONE part of the action (Attack, Move, Augment, etc) on the card to get experience, where applicable (for example, just by playing an augment, even if you are unable to attack because no monsters are in range, you still get the experience). You can choose not perform ANY OR ALL parts of an action on the card if you want (discard a card). You CANNOT change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies.

- You can use any card you PLAY (secretly selected from your hand to be played face-down in front of you at the beginning of a round) as an "ATTACK 2" action on the top half or an "MOVE 2" action on the bottom half. As usual, you CANNOT perform 2 top or 2 bottom actions.

- You CAN CHOOSE to lose 1 card from your hand OR 2 cards from your discard pile to negate any damage, but any additional effects of the attack are still applied (CONDITIONS are applied regardless of whether the corresponding attack does damage). You CANNOT use 1 active card to negate the damage taken. As soon as a bonus card is placed in the active area, it is considered discarded or lost. Therefore, you can also use 2 active cards to negate damage taken ONLY if BOTH are considered DISCARDED (once their effects wear off, they will be BOTH transferred to the DISCARD pile, NOT to the LOST pile).

- It is NOT possible to create an element (either Fire, Ice, Air, Earth, Light, or Dark) and consume it on the SAME TURN, but it may be consumed by anyone with a later turn in the initiative order of the SAME round or NEXT rounds. When you augment the effects of certain abilities, a single icon (an elemental symbol covered with a red) CANNOT be used to consume more than 1 elemental infusion from the Strong or Waning column of the elemental infusion table.

- Shields ONLY prevent from ATTACK X, not from take DAMAGE X. Shields are PERSISTENT and reduce ALL incoming attack damage.

- Abilities on a monster card, like SHIELD or RETALIATE, only take effect on the monster's turn, so any attacks made BEFORE the monster's turn aren't affected by them.

- Any time an Attack ability is performed, a SEPARATE attack modifier card is drawn for EACH individual target of the attack. For ANY attack that targets multiple enemies, 1 attack modifier card is drawn for EACH target. EACH target constitutes a SEPARATE attack, but ALL attacks together make up a SINGLE attack action.

- Only ATTACKS are modified by attack modifier cards. Retaliate, traps, hazardous terrain, wound, and any "suffer X DAMAGE" for whatever reason, do not cause attack modifier cards to be drawn.

- Added attack effects are ALWAYS applied AFTER the damage is dealt, and they are applied even if damage is reduced to zero. The one exception to this is PIERCE, which is applied at the same time as the damage. If you kill an enemy with an attack damage, then it is no longer around to be pushed, pulled, poisoned, ignited, immobilized, disarmed, stunned, muddled, cursed, strengthened, blessed, made invisible, or something else.

- Any ranged attack targeting an adjacent enemy gains DISADVANTAGE against that target. To lose disadvantage, a monster will move 1 hex (the minimum amount to maximize their attack) away from a character if it is adjacent and is performing a ranged attack (but a monster will NOT step on a trap to avoid disadvantage).

- POISON and WOUND are conditions removed only through HEALS. If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token IS REMOVED, and the Heal HAS NO OTHER EFFECT. If a Heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the WOUND token IS REMOVED, and the Heal CONTINUES NORMALLY. If you have both the WOUND and POISON conditions and you are healed, both conditions ARE REMOVED and the heal HAS NO OTHER EFFECT. A LONG REST or DRINKING A POTION cure WOUND and POISON (these are both considered HEAL effects and thus interact with WOUND and POISON like other HEAL abilities).

- NO token is placed to signify the effect when the figure is cursed or blessed. CURSE and BLESS are conditions REMOVED from the deck when their card is drawn (instead of being placed into the attack modifier discard pile).

- IMMOBILIZE, DISARM, STUN, MUDDLE, INVISIBLE, and STRENGTHEN are conditions removed at the END of the figure's NEXT turn. When such a CONDITION was applied to a figure BEFORE of its turn in the current round, the END of its NEXT turn is in the CURRENT round. When such a condition is applied to a figure DURING or AFTER its turn in the current round, the END of its NEXT turn is in the NEXT round.

- It is NOT required to take a long rest if stunned. You can also play 2 cards for NO EFFECT (the actions played are not used, and the cards are simply DISCARDED). Also, the rest action can only be taken if a player has 2 or more cards in his discard pile, and a rest action always results in losing 1 of the discarded cards. So, if you are stunned and you DON'T have 2 cards in your discard pile, you MUST discard 2 cards from your hand without playing them because you can't do a Long Rest. If you can't do either, you are exhausted.

- If an enemy can't find a focus, it doesn't move or attack on its turn and just performs any other abilities written on its card. An INVISIBLE character standing in a door or some other one-hex passageway can prevent non-flying, non-jumping and non-ranged monsters to find a focus (monsters always treat invisible characters like obstacles).

- CONDITIONS are applied regardless of whether the corresponding attack does damage.

- Players remove ALL wounds and conditions at the end of each scenario.

- Even when the scenario objective is complete, the scenario doesn't end until the CURRENT ROUND is complete. This can be helpful for getting some additional loot that you hadn't reached yet.

2/20/17 Edit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Easy to miss rules
Another one i keep seeing posted, which is a huge deal, is:
- Monsters ONLY do the abilities listed in their drawn card. If it doesn't say move or attack, they don't move or attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Crossan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
geicsge wrote:

- All added effects of an attack are only applied after damage is dealt. The one exception to this is PIERCE, which is applied at the same time as the damage.

This is a bit ambiguous, and I started searching for clarification but came up short.

Status effects/ailments are applied even if damage is reduced to zero, right? This line is just about the order in which they are applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Alexandru Dragoi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Knayr wrote:
geicsge wrote:

- All added effects of an attack are only applied after damage is dealt. The one exception to this is PIERCE, which is applied at the same time as the damage.

This is a bit ambiguous, and I started searching for clarification but came up short.

Status effects/ailments are applied even if damage is reduced to zero, right? This line is just about the order in which they are applied?

Yes, added attack effects are always applied after the damage. Plus, if you kill an enemy with an attack damage, then it is no longer around to be pushed, pulled, poisoned, ignited, immobilized, disarmed, stunned, muddled, cursed, strengthened, blessed, made invisible, or something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On top of end of turn looting, only player characters do end of turn looting. Summons and enemies do not do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can only hold a number of small (bag symbol) items equal to half of your level, rounded up.

I missed this at first and had two potions for the first few scenarios. I used both of them in a scenario only once I think, but I still should not have had them. It's easy to say, "hey, I only got 10 gold during this scenario, so I will just pick up another potion." Bad Cragheart. Baaaaad Cragheart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martin
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
geicsge wrote:

- You CAN lose any card from your hand to negate any damage, but any additional effects of the attack are still applied. You CANNOT use an active card to negate the damage taken.

You can also lose 2 cards from discard to negate damage.

Great list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeBord
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can only take one potion with you as equipment until you level higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Even when the scenario objective is complete, the scenario doesn't end until the CURRENT ROUND is complete. This can be helpful for getting some additional loot that you hadn't reached yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Scully
msg tools
Just wondering, am I reading it wrong but if you have three of one enemy and three of another for example- you would simply draw a monster ability card for each type (so two) not one per enemy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Alexandru Dragoi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
teacupcopter wrote:
Just wondering, am I reading it wrong but if you have three of one enemy and three of another for example- you would simply draw a monster ability card for each type (so two) not one per enemy?

After players have either selected their two action cards or declared a long rest, the players reveal and play ONLY 1 monster ability card for EACH type of monster (both normal AND elite) that has AT LEAST ONE figure currently on the map. In a given round, the initiative number from a played monster ability card determines when EVERY monster of that type will perform ONLY the actions listed on that played ability card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Additionally these cards can be 2 active cards, if these cards will be discarded when there effect ends.

active cards are considered discarded or lost for the purpose of card effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Alexandru Dragoi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
mikehancoski wrote:
Additionally these cards can be 2 active cards, if these cards will be discarded when there effect ends. Active cards are considered discarded or lost for the purpose of card effects.

Please clarify further, what you mean... I tried to define a rule...

As soon as a bonus card is placed in the active area, it is considered discarded or lost. Therefore, you can also use 2 active cards to negate damage taken ONLY if BOTH are considered DISCARDED (once their effects wear off, they will be BOTH transferred to the DISCARD pile, NOT to the LOST pile).

Any suggestion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Adams

Oregon
msg tools
From the FAQ

What is the designation of cards in my active area? Are they considered in my hand or in their own class or what?

Cards in your active area are technically considered discarded or lost (depending on whether there was a lost symbol on the action you played to put them there), even when they are in your active area. When you recover discard cards (by resting, for example) or lost cards (through special actions), you have the choice of picking up corresponding cards in your active area or leaving them in play. This also means they are not in your hand and cannot be put in your lost pile to negate damage (unless you are move two discards to your lost pile, as per the normal rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One I think is easy to miss: abilities on a monster card like Shield and Retaliate only take effect on the monster's turn, so any attacks made before the monster's turn aren't affected by them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören
msg tools
I know, attack effects are also applied, even when the attack does no damage. But how it is when you draw a miss from the attack modifier deck? I would say, it is still the same. You just did no damage. I handled it that way until now. But is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertzu83 wrote:
I know, attack effects are also applied, even when the attack does no damage. But how it is when you draw a miss from the attack modifier deck? I would say, it is still the same. You just did no damage. I handled it that way until now. But is this correct?

That is my understanding as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
qwertzu83 wrote:

On page 11 in the rule book "A “Null” symbol means that no damage is done by an attack" and it does not mean the attack missed so the conditions/effects are applied anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören
msg tools
belborough wrote:
Kløve wrote:
qwertzu83 wrote:

On page 11 in the rule book "A “Null” symbol means that no damage is done by an attack" and it does not mean the attack missed so the conditions/effects are applied anyway.

Thanks to both of you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"You can choose not perform ANY OR ALL parts of an action on the card if you want (discard a card). You CANNOT change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies."

How are these parts reconciled? You can ignore effects unless they are negative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Star
msg tools
You only unlock a scenario if the scenario ending specifically says unlock.

If a scenario number is mentioned otherwise it is purely for reference purposes (perhaps due to a new achievement).

I did not realize this and my narrative quickly became confusing once we wandered into scenarios we shouldn't have been in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Duran
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
"You can choose not perform ANY OR ALL parts of an action on the card if you want (discard a card). You CANNOT change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies."

How are these parts reconciled? You can ignore effects unless they are negative?

Nothing that needs to be reconciled. The second sentence just further clarifies how you can use or not use actions on a card. So you can choose not to do actions on a card as long as it doesn't have a negative effect. My understanding is that if you use a card as an attack +2 or move +2 you ignore the entire card, negative effects and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

The first are optional, the second are not. The reasoning is simple, if the second were optional too, they would never happen and therefore might as well be omitted from the card otherwise. They are are a potential cost to use the effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geicsge wrote:
mikehancoski wrote:
Additionally these cards can be 2 active cards, if these cards will be discarded when there effect ends. Active cards are considered discarded or lost for the purpose of card effects.

Please clarify further, what you mean... I tried to define a rule...

As soon as a bonus card is placed in the active area, it is considered discarded or lost. Therefore, you can also use 2 active cards to negate damage taken ONLY if BOTH are considered DISCARDED (once their effects wear off, they will be BOTH transferred to the DISCARD pile, NOT to the LOST pile).

Any suggestion?

Try this:

- You CAN CHOOSE to lose 1 card from your hand OR 2 cards from your discard pile to negate any damage, but any additional effects of the attack are still applied (CONDITIONS are applied regardless of whether the corresponding attack does damage). Active cards in your play area count as being in the discard pile too unless they have the LOSE CARD symbol (indicating that they eventually will be lost rather than discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have watched some earlier play videos that show a character moving through a field of coin tokens. As they move (ex. Move 4), they pick up the coin token from a hex and move to the next hex and continue picking up tokens, until their move is finished. I believe this is not legal due to loot rules on pg. 27 "...a character will also loot any money tokens or treasure tiles present in the hex he or she occupies at the end of the character’s turn".

The OP has already outlined the "end of turn" nature of looting. Perhaps some emphasis on no looting while on the move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.