$30.00
Brent Deacon
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb

One Night Collection - Why does it smell like wet dog in here?

The One Night Ultimate games from Akihisa Okui & Ted Alspach are social deduction party games that take the tried and true concept behind werewolf (or Mafia) and condense it down to 10 mins a game.
Don't let this time frame fool you, these games is fantastically deep and incredibly addictive. With slight variations found between each, this game will have you looking at your friends in a completely different way.

The One Night games all follow the same rules, with slight variations setting them apart. However the core of the game is as follows: Each player takes on the role of a Villager, a Werewolf (or maybe a vampire), or a special character. It’s there job to figure out who the Werewolves are and to kill at least one of them in order to win...unless you’ve become a Werewolf yourself! Each of the special roles has its one actions or special abilities that are both explained in the rule book and narrated by the specially designed One Night app. Players need to use there deductive and deceptive skills to either try and flush out the werewolf or cover there own tracks. Each game is 100% compatible with the others in the series so this makes for endless amounts of fun.

Luck:

These games have a perfect balance of luck, some roles add a certain amount of chaos that keeps you guessing until the final reveal. You may think you know exactly who you are and what team you are on, but more often than not you will find yourself on the wrong end of a chaotic shift. But the movement of your role isn't the only thing you have to consider, luck also comes into play with certain roles when deciding who to target for information and what cover story to use.

Strategy:

These games reward quick thinking and deceptive reasoning. If you can play it cool and get people on your side, you can have the game stitched up without even breaking a sweat. With the plethora of roles in the game it takes a bit of practice and even research to fully understand how to play the game depending on who you are.

Complexity:

One night games add a bit of complexity to the basic concept of werewolf, what with the numerous special abilities and rules for voting, but this can be negated by the choice of roles. Introducing new players to the most basic roles first and slowly adding new ones one by one shows great results. As the most complex of the 3, Vampire is best left for experienced players.

Replay Value:

I honestly don't think these games can be played only once, They're like blocks of chocolate. They consist of so many different roles, tokens and marks that you could make your way through upwards of 20 games and still not feel like you have scratched the surface. WARNING: You will get lost in these games, you may find yourself sitting down for a session at 6PM and soon find yourself looking at the clock to see that its almost midnight!

Components:

The components of these games are fantastic. The individual roles are printed on this card tiles, the tokens are an appropriate size and the free app that you can download to moderate the game is the best companion app I have seen to date. My only suggestion is to invest in a play mat as the sounds of tiles moving around in front of you can spoil a tense game of 'who done it'.

Learning Curve:

If introduced with an appropriate pace, these games are very easy to pick up. It is usually best to have new players sit out and watch a full run through of the game before joining in so that they can see what tactics people have used, however you will need to make sure they don't give anything away! Once again it is not suggested to play Vampire until all players have a good grasp of the mechanics.

Final Thoughts:

The One Night Collection of games are my go to party game for groups of 5-10 that are experienced in deception and gamesmanship. Is it for everybody? Probably not, I would say that if your play group are more used to games like monopoly and trivial pursuit, then these are probably not for them. But if your looking to stretch your deductive skills or fine tune your poker face then I strong suggest you give these games a try!

Find more Reviews at https://ozboardgamer.com/reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.