Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all -

For the 2nd year, I will be running a Brew Crafters tournament at Prezcon, in Charlottesville, VA. The convention runs from Feb 20-26, though the 1st round of Brew Crafters isn't until Wednesday the 22nd.

Last year, the tournament went pretty well all things considered. However, this year I'm considering a few modifications.

I will be running the tournament using the "2nd printing" rules - mainly this means that the "Form Local Partnership" space will be co-located with the Fundraiser space, rather than the Start Player space.

The other thing I want to address is the perceived imbalance in some of the skilled workers. See this thread for some initial thoughts on this. In terms of imbalance, I do believe the Brewpub Manager is overpowered. In that other thread, the Storage Coordinator, Architect and Holiday Help are also mentioned.

As suggested by John Weber in that thread, I've considered bidding for seat order. But I think that will add more time onto an already lengthy game. (Last year we had a handful of games go over 3 hours). So, I am considering removing or otherwise "nerfing" at least the Brewpub Manager (maybe take away the 1 extra rep he grants).

Thought I would check in here and see if there were any thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played many games with the Brewpub manager in play, and the person who takes it doesn't always win, or even comes 2nd for that matter. There are other powerful elements in the game besides the Brewpub Manager. So what is it, do you think, that makes the BP Manager so OP compared to everything else? Just curios as to what I'm missing.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I've played many games with the Brewpub manager in play, and the person who takes it doesn't always win, or even comes 2nd for that matter. There are other powerful elements in the game besides the Brewpub Manager. So what is it, do you think, that makes the BP Manager so OP compared to everything else? Just curios as to what I'm missing.

Well, I haven't kept any stats - but I suppose my observation has been contrary to yours. In the games I've played in, the player with the Brewpup manager has seemingly won more often than not. The brewpub already provides an advantage in getting beer to market earlier (although you can't do barrel aging). The manager then provides 2 additional advantages - the extra rep, and the storage. I've found that while it's awfully hard to make it through the game with only one storeroom, two storerooms are sometimes overkill. The brewpub manager providing additional storage for 6 ingredients - at no extra building cost, is a nice benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.