Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
The war in Afghanistan was supposed to be winding down. Iran had different thoughts in the Summer of 2014. Their secretly funding and training Al-Qaeda against ISAF forces had not gone unnoticed and Tehran was repeatedly warned via Washington D.C. to curtail their over border activities into the provinces of Herat, Farah, and Nimruz. However, no one expected them to launch a full scale invasion taking advantage of the troop withdrawal and war being drawn down. Tehran had always maintained a large amount of forces on its borders with Afghanistan, especially after in the US lead invasion.

For 13 years they sat quietly on their side of the border. That changed at 0300 hours, July 23rd, on the Sunni Holy Day Laylat al-Qadr, or the Night of Power/Destiny, when the first verses of the Quran were revealed to the Prophet, the quiet hours of the morning were shattered by sudden SCUD, artillery, and air strikes. ISAF air space was immediately violated by Iranian airborne troops and Spec Ops insertions. Though reeling, the ISAF forces quickly found their footing, and began stiffening their resistance. The morning of the holiday chosen was not missed by US intelligence groups, for the Iranians, despite being predominantly Shia, had chosen not their Night of Power, but rather the date for the year for their Sunni Afghan neighbors. Destiny and Power were being brought to Afghan's doorstep, whether they liked it or not.

A major push towards Herat airfield was quickly ascertained and come first light as the battlefield intel began to take shape, joint US forces at Herat were scrambled for the first strikes in the new war for Afghanistan. This is their story, compiled from the cockpit transmission and post war interviews.

Briefing:
Your first priority this morning is dealing with the Iranian Artillery units bombarding the ISAF forces across the border and pinning down our FOB's along the border. They have also begun targeting our supplies into and out of Herat. Expected defenses are in the form of SA-13 Gophers. Beyond the SCUD's they have several 2S1 Gvozdika Self Propelled Artillery units. Our OH-58 Kiowa Warrior scouts have identified the general location of the enemy forces. Pirate will have the lead on this mission. You will be violating Iranian airspace during this mission, be on the lookout for the IRIAF stay low, stay fast.

Strike Packages:
Gator AH-1: LAU-68's and AIM-92 (AtG and AtA)
Genius AV-8B: Mk 82's (AtG)
Judge AH-64D: LAU-68's (AtG)
Pirate A-10C: Mk 83's and Mk 82's (SEAD)

Loiter 6:
All flights, initial strike targets located. Have infantry in the open, looks like a SAM unit trying to hide against the ridge. Haj is taking a page from the NVA and Giap's book, classic AAA trap. Beginning run, popping flares, rolling in hot.
Pirate, confirmed hits, secondary explosions. SAM radar appears to be down, negative feedback.
Pirate, rolling in to attack the SAM trap.

Small arms fire, confirmed SA-7 Strela launch from infantry guarding SCUD's, executing evasive maneuvers, popping flares. She's holding together.
Roger tha...shit! Going evasive, small arms just tore up our HUD. Controls and weapons system ok. Staying in the fight.

Closing in on SCUD park, eggs away.
Roger, plenty of secondaries, positive effect on targets.
I'm Winchester, heading to egress holding pattern, will observe BDA. (Bomb Damage Assessment) (Winchester = Out of Ammo)
Commencing rocket run on SPA, walking them in. Boom. Gone.
Attacking SCUD...negative, I repeat negative effect. Can't see shit out of this windscreen. Will attempt another pass.
Judge, walking the LAU-68's in.

Loiter 5:
Found the other SAM site, guarding a SCUD and SPA, picking up some Strela lock on tones as well. Heading in.
SAM radar is down, confirmed on SCUD as well.

Taking small arms AAA, light damage as far as I can tell. Re-positioning.
Picking up even more small arms, more holes. Gonna head back to Herat, we're turning into a sieve.

Loiter 4:
Picked up another two SCUD's both are well into cover by now. Haj ain't stupid.
Positive on one Pirate, second hit ridge above. They're dug in like a bug in the rug. You've attracted some small arms, STRELA LAUNCH! HIT FLARES! ... You're clear.

Found another SPA under an outcrop, going hot. HA! Secondary explosion toppled outcropping on top of the artillery piece. Near Winchester on rockets.

Loiter 3:
Judge, looks like I've picked up the last SCUD. Confirm?
Roger, that, looks like there is only one left. Plaster 'im.
*bbbbBBBRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPpppp* bbbbBBBRRRAAAAPPPPpppp*
30 mic mic earns another check. Confirmed SCUD destroyed. Winchester on eggs. Let's head home.

STRELA LAUNCH! Taking evasive action. ... Proximity fused, picked up some shrapnel but nothing serious. Threw off my attack run on the infantry though. Winchester on rockets. Damn, we pissed those guys off, going high to avoid the ridge line and remove ourselves from small arms range.

Debrief:
Artillery Unit - Destroyed, 6 VP
Losses: None
Kills:
6 x SCUD
3 x SPA
2 x SAM
1 x Infantry
Gator - Repaired

Enemy Dispositions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well played, well played! Though from the way I see it, I always saw the HLCAO and TAL campaigns having pretty much the same premise.
Case in point, Iran 2014 sees Iran getting its nuclear program done ahead of how it happened historically and testing a nuclear device in the desert. The USA responds swiftly to defuse the situation.

Had I known this was going to happen sooner, I would've advised you to play with the NWS Store's Optional Payload rules variant. That way, you could use Single Weapons attacks without a negative DRM penalty, and have some of the weapons tweaked plus... LONGBOW RADAR ATTACKS!! The last one is essentially, you've got your AH-64D behind a ridge with enemies out of cover on the other side. You'll do the Pop-Up procedure without changing altitude by rolling a die before commencing an attack with AGM-114s [which these ones appear to based off the radar-guided AGM-114L variant].
Check it out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1304897/optional-payload-ru...

And if I were you, I'd start clearing out the Friendly Transit before things get out of hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was engrossing--good 1st person narrative.

Not to pick nits, but one small suggestion...IMHO, the color-coding helps to clarify the narrative, but having the entire line that color is a bit hard on older eyes. You might be able achieve the same effect by using the color just at the beginning of each line with an abbreviation of each pilot's name, that way it's not too obtrusive and doesn't break up the style.

My $0.02. Excellent job, though, and good thematic pictures--that one of the A-10 in particular was an interesting angle. Rolling out?

EDIT: Of course, rolling. You said that in your narrative. Oops. BTW, I couldn't remember what "SEAD" stood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Separate question, for anyone who knows...

Are those Litko explosion markers? I've thought about getting some for my copy as well, but I wasn't sure of the scale. If they are, which size are they and what's the product name? I'd like to find some locally, if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

PF Gamer, good advice, thank you, will experiment next go around. Perhaps just the first few words being color coded or their names as you suggest.

Those are Litko Micro Flaming Wreckage markers. I went with Micro due to their cost (Only needing 2 bags, rather than the larger sizes needing more at more cost). The size works perfectly for my purposes. I don't flip the counters, I just put the marker atop of the destroyed counter, the marker itself only covering the image of the target but leaving the stats visible. I use them for this game and others in the Leader series to denote destroyed sites/bandits.

Really makes things pop in my humble opinion. So far, 20 total has been right, I have not run out. Games like Phantom Leader/Hornet Leader one would never need that many. Games like TAL, I've come close but not actually run out yet. A 3rd bag purchase of another 10 maybe in order down the road once I get Tiger Leader and Sherman Leader.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1UA1U6/ref=oh_aui_de...

Their dimensions are there on the Amazon page.

PS Sorry, SEAD is 'Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@FlaK

The only reason I mentioned the colors is that I used to work at a job where I did technical documentation. We used color-coding in some applications, and trial-and-error led us to the same option I mentioned.

Ha-HAAA! I thought so. Litko has several different explosion markers and sizes, so I wasn't 100% sure.

SEAD - I have also seen this notation as ADSF (air defense suppression fire). However, I thought maybe you were referring to the ordinance sub-type (like HEAT rounds) or the weapon fusing (stand-off, etc.).

I created a thread about markers and tokens for TAL, so I'll continue any comments on that topic in the new thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1729871/markers-tokens-...

Again, fun session report. I look forward to further intel on troop movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Thanks all!

PF Gamer, good advice, thank you, will experiment next go around. Perhaps just the first few words being color coded or their names as you suggest.

Those are Litko Micro Flaming Wreckage markers. I went with Micro due to their cost (Only needing 2 bags, rather than the larger sizes needing more at more cost). The size works perfectly for my purposes. I don't flip the counters, I just put the marker atop of the destroyed counter, the marker itself only covering the image of the target but leaving the stats visible. I use them for this game and others in the Leader series to denote destroyed sites/bandits.

Really makes things pop in my humble opinion. So far, 20 total has been right, I have not run out. Games like Phantom Leader/Hornet Leader one would never need that many. Games like TAL, I've come close but not actually run out yet. A 3rd bag purchase of another 10 maybe in order down the road once I get Tiger Leader and Sherman Leader.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1UA1U6/ref=oh_aui_de...

Their dimensions are there on the Amazon page.

PS Sorry, SEAD is 'Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses'.

You sure know how to grab the attention of others with the pics you present, Flak!

And by the way... I think AfrikaKorps' would-be tokens could find a nice little place in my own would-be variant of TAL...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1712041/thunderbolt-apa...

Meanwhile, how will the next battle pan out, I ponder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I need to ban myself from getting new games while I am in the middle of a campaign. laugh Next War: Korea and India/Pakistan along with D-Day at Peleliu just showed up. So my free time lately has been punching, sorting, and rounding the counters. The NW series are not solo built but I plan on using the Solo System as an AI for them and see how it works.

I won't delve into those though until I finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.