8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Painting Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: minis [+] [View All]
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Rick, while there may be some info here on the Geek, I think you will have a lot better luck over at TMP. www.theminiaturespage.com
Go into the messages boards there and in the General category there is an entire sub forum dedicated to painting figs.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
You really ought to check this out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/37355

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You really can't beat Games Workshops paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PoisonedV wrote:
What are some good paints to use for painting miniatures, and any techniques?

I always like to point out www.coolminiornot.com. They've got some fabulous forums on techniques. Also, http://hot-lead.org/ has some good links and techniques.

As for paints, some big players are Games Workshop (GW), Reaper, and Vallejo. I personally use Vallejo as they come in dropper bottles and you can dispense as much or as little as you want at a time. The one drawback with GW paints is that they're in tins, and if you're not careful, it can be easy to contaminate your paints.

There was also a fellow geek who was clearing out some stock from his garage... check out this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1584536#1584536

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badfish20 wrote:
You really can't beat Games Workshops paints.

No you can definitely beat GW paints. Vallejo has better quality for the same price. And craft paints are much cheaper for slightly less quality.

Though, it's not the end of the world or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if i have ever used vallejo, but my wife has hundreds of diffrent brands that she gets from michaels, none of them worked as well as GW paints for my miniatures. But I am sure there is something better out there, just not for me.
Plus they make alot (now) of their paints in spraycan form. Nice for landscape work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badfish20 wrote:
Not sure if i have ever used vallejo, but my wife has hundreds of diffrent brands that she gets from michaels, none of them worked as well as GW paints for my miniatures.

Most paints designed for miniatures have a hardener added to them to make them more durable. Your regular craft paints might be okay for display pieces, but not for something you're going to handle on a regular basis. Some people swear by the el-cheapo craft paints you can get at the big box stores (after putting a protective clear coat on them).

Different strokes for different folks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.