12 Posts

Rum & Bones: Second Tide» Forums » Rules

Subject: A number of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin moran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi folks. I have a number of rules questions which I would appreciate some answers to if possible.
1. Can the "broadside barrage" tide card damage deck features (as I know the deck gun can't)?
2. When the Kraken is deployed, does it deal damage to non deployed heroes of the faction with the highest Kraken pool?
3. When the bosun upgrade cards are in play, do they require a bosun figure to be present with the crew to use the effect (as the card only states "When crew in this zone attack")?
4. Do skill effects (such as, "may prioritise heroes" or "all enemy heroes hit in 2 zones" etc) affect sea monsters?
5. Am I right in thinking that the sea dragon's Devouring Maw attack can only be used once per activation (as it isn't a basic attack)?
6. If the Kraken pool is at 10, does it mean that you can not use a skill effect if it requires you to raise your Kraken pool again (such as for Carcharius' Feeding Frenzy)? Can you still roll the attack dice?
7. Can you play the tide card "Seal of Davy Jones" after determining whether the Kraken will activate with either "Rampage" or "Tentacle Crush" or do you have to play it before the Kraken rolls to see which attack it will use?
8. When using the "Calm the Depths" tide card I assume the player can choose how much they reduce each Kraken pool by and they are not forced to decrease both by 2 (if able)?
Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can the "broadside barrage" tide card damage deck features (as I know the deck gun can't)?

Broadside Barrage =/= Deck Gun. It has no targeting/damage restrictions.

2. When the Kraken is deployed, does it deal damage to non deployed heroes of the faction with the highest Kraken pool?

The effect states all Heroes, it does not care if you are Overboard, Deployed, or KO'd. Effects that have restrictions specifically list them, such as Tentacle Crush does.

3. When the bosun upgrade cards are in play, do they require a bosun figure to be present with the crew to use the effect (as the card only states "When crew in this zone attack")?

The Upgrade is granted to the Bosun. If there is no Bosun there is no effect.

4. Do skill effects (such as, "may prioritise heroes" or "all enemy heroes hit in 2 zones" etc) affect sea monsters?

SEA MONSTERS
Sea Monsters are summoned to the fight by the “Sea Monster
Attack!” Tide Card. When a Sea Monster is summoned, it
is deployed as described on its Dashboard. From then on, it
acts like an additional Hero for the player who summoned
it (Note: It is NOT a Hero model, however!).[i] The controlling
player will activate it just like a Hero, and each Sea Monster
gets three actions. KO'ing a Sea Monster works exactly
like KO'ing a Hero. Multiples of the same Sea Monster
cannot be summoned, and once a Sea Monster is KO’d it
cannot be re-summoned that game.

Relevant text bolded.

5. Am I right in thinking that the sea dragon's Devouring Maw attack can only be used once per activation (as it isn't a basic attack)?

Correct. Skills may only be used once per activation unless they are a Basic Attack or specifically state otherwise, nether of which Devouring Maw does.

6. If the Kraken pool is at 10, does it mean that you can not use a skill effect if it requires you to raise your Kraken pool again (such as for Carcharius' Feeding Frenzy)? Can you still roll the attack dice?

1. If you cannot pay the cost for a Skill Effect, it cannot be used. Eg: You cannot raise your Kraken Pool, you cannot use that Effect. It would be like trying to use an effect that said "Discard X Coin" without having the Coin.

2. Activating the effect is optional. You can still use the Attack for pure dice.

7. Can you play the tide card "Seal of Davy Jones" after determining whether the Kraken will activate with either "Rampage" or "Tentacle Crush" or do you have to play it before the Kraken rolls to see which attack it will use?

The specific timing of the card is [i]"After rolling to Unleash the Kraken,or when the Kraken activates."
By the time you're rolling to see what Action the Kraken takes you have passed both potential triggers for the card.

8. When using the "Calm the Depths" tide card I assume the player can choose how much they reduce each Kraken pool by and they are not forced to decrease both by 2 (if able)?

Calm the Depths
"Reduce your Kraken Pool by up to 2, and then reduce your opponent’s Kraken Pool by up to 2. Heal 1 friendly Hero up to that amount."

Each instance says "Up to 2".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin moran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply Michael. I appreciate it.
Was hoping for a few quick clarifications.
4. So any effect which specifically states "hero" or "heroes" will not work on a sea monster? What about effects which don't specifically mention a hero, such as Viana's Windfall attack "For each hit of 6, 1 friendly Hero gains 1 gold"? Will this effect work on a sea monster? And sea monsters can never suffer condition tokens? Correct?
7. Just to clarify: you have to play the "Seal of Davy Jones" tide card before determining which attack the Kraken will use? Doesn't this make the card a lot less effective (as players would probably want to save it for the Tentacle Crush attack?)
Once again, many thanks for your time. My wife and I love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Sea Monsters are not Heroes. They cannot be targeted or affected by anything that only effects Heroes. Heroes are the only models that can gain Coin or Condition Tokens.

...Also noting that the example you gave of Vianna's effect specifically states a Hero gains the Coin. So no, it would not work, because it specifically states Hero.

7. The card has two instances when you can play it:
"After rolling to Unleash the Kraken,or when the Kraken activates."

As stated before, you don't get to wait until rolling to see what the Kraken does before playing it, as at that point you are not playing the Tide Card at either of the only two times it allows you to. I'm not sure how to answer your "I want to save it for Tentacle Crush" comment as that's just not how the card works.

Glad you and your wife are enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
In the original Rum & Bones there was a 3 card maximum hand size. Is there a maximum hand size in the Second Tide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guvner03 wrote:
In the original Rum & Bones there was a 3 card maximum hand size. Is there a maximum hand size in the Second Tide?

No. The rules only state that at the end of a round, if you have less than 3 Tide Cards you draw until you have 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for:
Calm the Depths
"Reduce your Kraken Pool by up to 2, and then reduce your opponent’s Kraken Pool by up to 2. Heal 1 friendly Hero up to that amount."

Which amount? The total amount lowered between both players or the amount lowered on the opponents pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimzer wrote:
Question for:
Calm the Depths

Which amount? The total amount lowered between both players or the amount lowered on the opponents pool?

Total amount, meaning it can heal up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trexler
United States
Preston
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the "pick up the slack" tidecard. When you target a zone of crew to activate. They move then attack. Say you move the two deckhands into the next zone that also contains 2 deckhands. When i attack do i use just the two that moved or the entire 4 in the zone. I felt that all the characters in that zone attack but my opponent felt i only attack with the 2 that moved. Please respond as this card will be in all eight of my factions. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would this be any different than normal crew activation, whereby one zone can't move (blocked by enemy), adjacent zone moves into the blocked zone, in which case they all get to attack.

I believe it's a two step process for any activation. Move all crew, then all crew adjacent to enemy attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trexler
United States
Preston
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I had insisted on, but it says 1 zone and my opponent had thought otherwise and insisted I look it up. You reinforce my argument. Thanks for chiming in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Brind
msg tools
M.S answered this question somewhere here i think. If i remember right just the 2 deckhands will attack (But would hit on a 3 if a bosun is in the zone they move into)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.