Michael J
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Prophecy of Dragons will be the fourth TIME stories adventure for my wife and me. However, we would like to invite a couple to join us on the adventure. They have never played TIME stories before and are willing to play the other adventures as well. My question: Are there any spoilers in Prophecy of Dragons for Asylum, Marcy and Mask? Is it safe for them to start with Prophecy of Dragons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few Easter eggs that you will enjoy and they won't spot, but there are no direct spoilers for the previous scenarios (unless you explain those Easter eggs in detail).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen is correct. This is true for every scenario released so far to my recollection - no spoilers for other scenarios but some potential easter eggs you won't get if you play out of order.

That said, I don't know that I would recommend starting with PoD because it seems more complex and random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no real spoilers.

I do feel I should voice the following in general for players considering playing modules out of order.
Knowing your player base can be important!

First off, A Prophecy of Dragons feels like a Starter Box Module for something like D&D.
Honestly, I like it a bit more than D&D Starter modules because it's more focused and static in presentation, while still giving multiple paths.
It even has the most replay value out of the T.I.M.E Stories line because different party compositions yield different progression options.
Bottom line, it's very D&D based and anyone with a strong Fantasy RPG background should have little to no trouble getting into the rhythm of the scenario quickly.

Secondly, goodness gracious the missing rules text and clarifications.
If your player base is easily rankled by not having everything spelled out to them verbatim, then this may be one of the hardest scenarios for them to play and enjoy initially (based on my English NA copies of the game).
Out of all of the modules, The Asylum has the most polish, followed by either Expedition Endurance or Under the Mask. The Marcy Case also has a lot of polish, but deducing the core mechanic for resolution can take some time, whereas Expedition Endurance is probably the easiest scenario of them all.

Third, if complexity matters for you players, consider the following.
If I were to have to rank all of them based on complexity of progressing to the end, it would be:
Expedition Endurance (simplest), Under the Mask, The Marcy Case, The Asylum, A Prophecy of Dragons (most complex).
If I were to rank all of them based on complexity of the scenario and mechanics, it would be:
The Asylum, Expedition Endurance, The Marcy Case, Under the Mask, A Prophecy of Dragons.
Note that this means I personally believe A Prophecy of Dragons to be the most objectively difficult scenario.
Knowing how your player base responds to complexity/difficulty matters!

Depending on how you answer the above questions, you could start with any scenario!

As far as spoilers and easter eggs:

The Asylum is a great starter scenario to judge your player base and how they will react to subsequent scenarios.
Unless there is a specific reason to avoid it, I'd play it first almost always.

The Marcy Case is also spoiler neutral.
It also hits a sweet spot for player engagement between puzzles and tests.

A Prophecy of Dragons is a scenario I will crack out first for any group of Fantasy RPG enthusiasts.
I could literally just play this module with that kind of group with no reservations.

Under the Mask is the only module I would steer people away from playing as the first scenario due to the ending.
I would NEVER play it before The Marcy Case!

Expedition Endurance will be a hit for any player who appreciates the subject material.
Expedition Endurance doesn't spoil anything, but its starting point is stronger with more scenarios already under your belt to fully appreciate it.
Its ease of access and lack of spoilers also make it a good candidate for a starter scenario, all things considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the POV that Prophecy is the most complicated of the modules I have played so far. In this instance, I do not find that to be a positive characteristic. My group found it the least enjoyable scenario. I wouldn't start with it, but to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy of dragons requires more time to play and the Easter eggs mentioned before. Other than that I would say that there is no reason Not to play it first. It is the best one of the lot so far hands down. Theme is awesome and it just flows well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all the constructive answers!

I did not realize that PoD is the scenario which is most complex. Fortunately I did receive the Endurance Expedition today and I think maybe we will switch to this scenario since it is the first take on the game for our friends and I don't want to discourage them from playing this awesome game and all of it's expansions. If they like it I will let them play Asylum, Marcy and Mask alone and if they made it thus far we can experience PoD together again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.