Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finn Balor
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi,

I work in a software company and have a team of around 8 people. I've organized a few lunchtime games over the past few months and was hoping to try it out some more.

There are a few people (3-4) that are a little more experienced gamers compared to the others, and I've had separate gaming sessions with them before. We finished a game of Time Stories over the past couple of weeks.

But if I want to involve the entire team, I usually have anywhere between 6-8 people in the group. And we usually play during lunch, so about 1-1.5 hours, at most.

In the past, the games I have tried with the larger group are
- Coup
- 7 Wonders
- Tokaido (I didn't play, just taught and watched)

I wouldn't mind buying a game or two if it would work well with the group.
So does anyone have some recommendations on what games might work well for my work group
- Easy to teach, since there are a couple of non-gamers
- Teaching plus playing should take less than 1.5 hours
- Plays well 6-8 players
- No party-style games

I already have cash 'n guns and bang, so looking for something besides those two.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Voest
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No party style game but teach- and playable in 1.5 hours for 6-8 players. That narrows it down quite a bit
Not Alone
Colt Express
The Resistance
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Fuji Flush
King of Tokyo
Mysterium

It's a little difficult. There aren't many games that play with so many players in that time that aren't party games. Also, my feeling is you are looking for something more strategy oriented which makes it even more difficult. Looking at my list, most of them include bluffing or deception as an important mechanism.
Anyways, I hope you cn find something meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
might depend on your definition of 'party' but, you should try Codenames

maybe Fearsome Floors ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Balor
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Colt Express is a good choice.. thanks!!

Some other ones I came across that might work

- Augustus
- Citadels
- Tsuro
- Sushi Go Party
- Camel Up
- Ladies and Gentlemen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably going to have a hard time finding many that fit your criteria ultimately. 8 players just doesn't fit many non-party type games. Or those that do typically have pretty light strategy.

If possible, you may want to try splitting into two groups of 4, that really opens up the number of games you can play.

Else as far as 8 person suggestions I think you've already gotten most of what pops into my mind. The only one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Bohnanza, although that caps at 7. I'd heartily back up the recommendation of Resistance/Avalon. Finally, while Codenames probably is a party game, I still would agree it's worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Voest
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
You're probably going to have a hard time finding many that fit your criteria ultimately. 8 players just doesn't fit many non-party type games. Or those that do typically have pretty light strategy.

If possible, you may want to try splitting into two groups of 4, that really opens up the number of games you can play.

Else as far as 8 person suggestions I think you've already gotten most of what pops into my mind. The only one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Bohnanza, although that caps at 7. I'd heartily back up the recommendation of Resistance/Avalon. Finally, while Codenames probably is a party game, I still would agree it's worth looking into.

I 1up the Codenames suggestion. While it falls into the partygame category (which is why I didn't list it), it is really fun. And it doesn't share the mind-numbing randomness of most party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, no one would think 'PARTY!' when they saw my group playing Codenames - though there's some chuckles afterwards when we ask " what were you trying to clue with that xyz clue?"

you could try Word on the Street 2 team word game

some games, like Limes and maybe Sheep & Thief will scale up if you buy 2 copies to play simultaneously.

watch some videos of the suggested games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter Premium plays up to 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities only go's up to 7, but works well and is much faster than 7 wonders (easier rules to)

Loot will work with 6 or 8 (but not 7) fairly light but still fun

If you have 2 sets of Dominion (or 1 and Dominion: Intrigue) then you could do dominion speed date (although again only with 6 or 8 and not 7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds is up to 6 players. Its a trick taking card game, so not on par with 7 Wonders for brain power, but nice little lunch time play.

Another Card game, but with more strategy would be Unreal Estate. Its going to be 5 player out of the box and the designer agreed that with 2 copies you could up the players a bit. I have played the PNP with 6 this way adding in 1 additional of the 8 scoring cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Camel (C)Up and Between Two Cities up to 7. They both work great at my work for lunchtimes.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I bought Captain Sonar for this exact same purpose. Gaming group at work fell apart before we got to play it more than once, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 camel up

Saboteur (compilation editions) is quite cheap.

Room 25 plays up to 8 and has co-op/hidden traitor or fully competitive modes and is fun but you need the season two expansion - isn't typical party??

Oh and there's also Formula D which plays up to 10

All the above cover 8 but Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) does six too and is quite easy to learn as does Celestia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.