Subject: Archer #538 card question (slight spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
So Archer card#538 has Move -1, Attack -1 and "Create a 3 damage trap in an adjacent empty hex closest to an enemy."

Does this mean we create a trap for EACH archer that activates? This seemed a little insane so we just created 1. Not sure if we played it right.

Also might be overthinking it but "closest to an enemy" means closest to one of the archers right? If this is the case then which archer do we choose? Or does it mean closest to us, the players (since we're the "archer's enemy"). This card was kind of confusing to our group so looking for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's so confusing about it? The archers draw their ability card and follow the actions from top to bottom. That includes that each archer currently on the board lays a trap next to herself towards her nearest enemy (you or one of your party).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it each archer follows the actions on the cards in order of their standee number. Each would produce a trap in a hex adjacent to them, and they would choose the hex that places it closer to an enemy(in this case that means a player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denkyu wrote:
Does this mean we create a trap for EACH archer that activates? This seemed a little insane so we just created 1.

Yes. And why would it be "insane"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Eyegleam wrote:
What's so confusing about it? The archers draw their ability card and follow the actions from top to bottom. That includes that each archer currently on the board lays a trap next to herself towards her nearest enemy (you or one of your party).

When you explain it that way it makes perfect sense. Not sure why in the moment we were so tripped up by the wording. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Yes. And why would it be "insane"?

Haha I think at that point we were already losing badly so the collective reaction from the group was 'wtf this can't be true'. We didn't do very well on our first playthrough >_<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David I
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best is when they get that action as soon as you reveal a room. The next turn, if they get a move action and you step out of range, the lead archer walks right into the trap they just placed and then makes it so much easier to push or pull the others into the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denkyu wrote:
Haha I think at that point we were already losing badly so the collective reaction from the group was 'wtf this can't be true'. We didn't do very well on our first playthrough >_<

Remember, traps give you an advantage more than the enemy. By using the enemy AI to your advantage, as well as push, pull, and the Mindthief mind control abilities, most traps should be sprung by enemies. We thought a scenario was doomed for us until that card came up. It saved the entire scenario by killing 2 of the archers for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larzu57 wrote:
The best is when they get that action as soon as you reveal a room. The next turn, if they get a move action and you step out of range, the lead archer walks right into the trap they just placed and then makes it so much easier to push or pull the others into the trap.

Indeed. Enemy-laid traps are great fodder for free damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love it when they throw traps down. At the time of me writing this, I've only ever used their traps against them. I'm crossing my fingers that I never have to eat my words...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denkyu wrote:
Eyegleam wrote:

When you explain it that way it makes perfect sense. Not sure why in the moment we were so tripped up by the wording. Thanks for the clarification!

Now go and pull or push one of them into their own trap!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The really interesting one is in scenario #2.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are two archers, at least in a 4-player game, in the boss room. If they draw this card first, they move only one space then plant the trap such that the three sarcophagi and two traps create this beautiful triangle that a ranged character can sit in the middle of and be safe from all the melee attacks!

Traps are a great thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, one of my guys was complaining that it was a stupid thing for the archers to do when they had to walk over them after we moved away.

My response was:

1. No-one said these guys are very bright, they can panic and toss them out not thinking long term. Also,
2. This is hard enough as it is, stop complaining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fire demon spoilers ahead

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Fire Demons do this too, and traps bypass Shield. Sooo satisfying to kill a demon with their own trap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Gaulen de Loria
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the placement of the trap nested with the attack? I mean if the archer is disarmed the placement of the trap still occurs? I ask this because the text font is smaller and don't know if it's related to the archer's attack or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Gaulen de Loria
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any idea on this matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Gaulen wrote:
Is the placement of the trap nested with the attack? I mean if the archer is disarmed the placement of the trap still occurs? I ask this because the text font is smaller and don't know if it's related to the archer's attack or not.

My instincts tell me that placing the traps is separate from the attack. So, even if disarmed, the traps are still placed as Disarm only prevents attacks from happening, not the use of all abilities.

I'll take a look at the card when I get home to see how the text appears on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Sir Gaulen wrote:

My instincts tell me that placing the traps is separate from the attack. So, even if disarmed, the traps are still placed as Disarm only prevents attacks from happening, not the use of all abilities.

Just a quick follow up.

What about if a monster has immobilize and is disarmed, would it still immobilize my character? Or is the immobilize considered part of the attack. I personally feel like it's part of the attack and that it wouldn't happen....but I've been wrong before, hence the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Sir Gaulen wrote:

Just a quick follow up.

What about if a monster has immobilize and is disarmed, would it still immobilize my character? Or is the immobilize considered part of the attack. I personally feel like it's part of the attack and that it wouldn't happen....but I've been wrong before, hence the question.

If it's disarmed, it can't attack, so no attack effects would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Sir Gaulen wrote:

Just a quick follow up.

If the card just says "Immobilize all adjacent enemies," then disarm won't stop that. That's not an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Sir Gaulen wrote:

Just a quick follow up.

If the card just says "Immobilize all adjacent enemies," then disarm won't stop that. That's not an attack.

We'll have to see the exact card to confirm, but I concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
disarm only hinders attacks.
immobilize only hinders movement.
stun hinders everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is the thread that came up when I searched an answer, it's probably the best place to ask the question:

When these archers lay their traps, is it the closest direct distance, or
determined along their movement path?

It specifically came up during KS Scenario 2 - when the direct path was blocked by an obstacle. Does the archer lay the trap along its intended path of travel, or "closer" to the enemy, which in this case might be farther along their path if they have to walk around?

I think "closest" should probably be "closest" (as measured by a ruler, not a path), but if so we did it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Since this is the thread that came up when I searched an answer, it's probably the best place to ask the question:

When these archers lay their traps, is it the closest direct distance, or
determined along their movement path?

It specifically came up during KS Scenario 2 - when the direct path was blocked by an obstacle. Does the archer lay the trap along its intended path of travel, or "closer" to the enemy, which in this case might be farther along their path if they have to walk around?

I think "closest" should probably be "closest" (as measured by a ruler, not a path), but if so we did it wrong.

Here, closest means "along the shortest path the enemy would take to get to any hero.

Edit: Only consider ground routes for this purpose, if you take my suggestion. I am basing it off of an earlier discussion of what it means to be closer during a "pull".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Willottica wrote:

Here, closest means "along the shortest path the enemy would take to get to any hero".

How do you know that? There's a third possibility, it could be along the shortest path that any hero would take to get to the enemy. That would make more sense to me.

X X X X X X X X X X
. . . X . M . . .
. . H . X X X X . .
. . . . . . . . .
X X X X X X X X X X

Are you saying that if monster M can fly, then it puts the trap to its left, but if M can't fly, then it puts the trap to its right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.