Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Concordia has been the first game I've wanted to upgrade. Most things in the game are already nice, but I think metal coins would be great to play with. I can't find a set that I love though. My requirements are low, namely, I want the actual denomination values to be on the coins themselves. (Which rules out a surprising number of options.) Any recommendations?

I'm actually considering using Scythe coins (https://www.topshelfgamer.com/collections/scythe/products/me...). They're a good value for what you get, they have values printed on them, and the 3-value coin helps it not having to work with a lot of coins or making change all the time. Would they look too out of place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my Scythe coins for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Scythe coins, which are nice, but not very Roman

I picked up a set of these... pretty nice. I think I got them from Top Shelf Gamer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbreecher wrote:
I'm actually considering using Scythe coins (https://www.topshelfgamer.com/collections/scythe/products/me...). They're a good value for what you get, they have values printed on them, and the 3-value coin helps it not having to work with a lot of coins or making change all the time. Would they look too out of place?
I've considered ordering some Scythe coins to use in other games [including Concordia] because they seem to be the nicest metal coins I've found with denomination values printed on them and having the desired ranges of denoms.

Viticulture coins might fit a bit more thematically, but the denominations are only 1, 2, 5. (https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=MetalLiraCo...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help Board Games and Metal Coins, An Obsession
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These have roman numerals on them (just ignore text around edge...they are sold as "pirate doubloons"):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
These have roman numerals on them (just ignore text around edge...they are sold as "pirate doubloons"):

Oh those are neat! Where are those found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Laytonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use two sets of Viticulture: Custom Metal Lira Coins they aren't contemporaneous with the setting, but they're good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were originally sold in a Kickstarter (The Best Damn Gaming Coins Ever...TWO! by Artana LLC), but if you go to the Artana LLC website and click on the "Gear" button, it looks like they are making more that you can buy directly (not through KS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The first picture has some nice designs and are very in-theme. I just can't bring myself to use them without the denominations on the coins themselves

Thanks for the suggestions. The Viticulture ones are okay, but I dislike that they have the Viticulture Logo on them and that it has the pound symbol in front of the numbers. I think I would prefer Scythe coins to these.

The pirate dubloons look nice. Too bad the production date is so far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
nbreecher wrote:
but I dislike that they have the Viticulture Logo on them and that it has the pound symbol in front of the numbers.
The £ symbol was from Roman times, which kind of fits in with Concordia's setting. Not sure they had the Viticulture logo back in those days though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mouldybanana wrote:
nbreecher wrote:
but I dislike that they have the Viticulture Logo on them and that it has the pound symbol in front of the numbers.
The £ symbol was from Roman times, which kind of fits in with Concordia's setting. Not sure they had the Viticulture logo back in those days though.
It's not a GBP symbol, it's the Lire symbol (also not tremendously thematic, but closer). Everyone who plays with my Concordia makes very positive comment about the coins. Though one thing to note is that they don't stack because the embossing stands proud of the "rim" of the coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Na'im
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used the Roman coins from Minion Games. Seems to be in stock.

The coins are on the bottom left.

You can order through this link:
http://www.miniongames.com/store/roman-coin-set-55.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Laytonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! So many to choose from on their website!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the ones I use (the Roman ones). I got them on the KS campaign cheap. They are out of stock now but I'm sure they will come back. They are beautiful.

http://www.fantasycoin.com/search.asp?keyword=roman&search=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow6 wrote:
I used the Roman coins from Minion Games. Seems to be in stock.

The coins are on the bottom left.

You can order through this link:
http://www.miniongames.com/store/roman-coin-set-55.html

I too picked up the Roman coins at Miniongames.com and they look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if they have ever been made available separately, but the coins from deluxe edition of Orleans are great. That is what I use for Concordia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Coin's Roman Coin Set

A few online retailers have these for sale, including Fantasy Coin and Top Shelf Gamer.

See also: Metal coins for Concordia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe coins would work, I believe. So would SeaFall or Viticulture coins.

I would caution you to think about the doubloon coins...I have heard that the ones from that company are very small, so small that they are a pain to handle. I have some of the Best Damn Gaming Coins as well (Roman and Persia/Asia Minor are the best ones for Concordia), but the themed sets don't have a denomination on them, so my group can use fives as ones, tens as fives, etc so we can use bigger coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I have resolved to use Scythe coins, as a friend owns them and I've gotten a chance to try them out in a variety of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.