Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does BGG have a "list of shame" for KS games that either never delivered or are greater than 12 months late or that delivered but not at all as advertised?

Seems to me that this would be a good reference point for the many of us that are tempted to back KS projects with little knowledge of the person(s) running the campaign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a list of shame because some end up delivering, but here's a list of KS games that encounter troubles of some kind: Controversial or Fraudulent Kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If you care to start a list, I backed Who's for Dinner? and it funded successfully but they never delivered. Guy went radio silent with no explanation, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another geeklist: Scams, Delays, and Shady Ways. A guide to who to watch out for before hitting purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm not sure if 'late' delivery is worthy of moving a project to the list of shame in it's own right. Ultimately they are only estimates for project development and production timeframes. I always go into a kickstarter knowing that the delivery time could be much longer than originally estimated for a multitude of production and development issues.

As long as they keep me informed during delays, I'm ok with waiting for a quality product. Radio silence is not a good approach however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeh I think 5 years radio silence is a good indicator you're not getting your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Seems to me that this would be a good reference point for the many of us that are tempted to back KS projects with little knowledge of the person(s) running the campaign...

My reference point is to not back a First Created game. Many BGG'ers are fine with base games, and the base game at the OLGS will be much less than KS pledge plus shipping. Many companies will make basic mistakes for their first project (including their first project with miniatures) that second-time projects won't do. Second time projects are also run more efficiently, meaning that they deliver sooner and sometimes offering as much stuff as the first project. And, if you don't mind a few years, more KS games are returning to KS for a second run, sometimes as a better edition. Prices are sometimes higher, but that's because the first project underestimated the costs, which is never a good thing to do for a project.

And, if a year's delay is too late, DEFINITELY do not back a First Created project. Particularly when a project reaches a ton of SG's, it's doubled or more in scope, so you should expect it to take longer. Yet KS requires creators to estimate a delivery date BEFORE SG's are even reached. Also, avoiding KS that might change what they offer (particularly when it comes to miniature quality for First Created, or retail packaging) is very difficult, imo.

Perhaps a whitelist would be better. You spend enough money on games that missing out on a few First Created projects won't hurt you -- especially if they get reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

My reference point is to not back a First Created game. Many BGG'ers are fine with base games, and the base game at the OLGS will be much less than KS pledge plus shipping. Many companies will make basic mistakes for their first project (including their first project with miniatures) that second-time projects won't do. Second time projects are also run more efficiently, meaning that they deliver sooner and sometimes offering as much stuff as the first project. And, if you don't mind a few years, more KS games are returning to KS for a second run, sometimes as a better edition. Prices are sometimes higher, but that's because the first project underestimated the costs, which is never a good thing to do for a project.

And, if a year's delay is too late, DEFINITELY do not back a First Created project. Particularly when a project reaches a ton of SG's, it's doubled or more in scope, so you should expect it to take longer. Yet KS requires creators to estimate a delivery date BEFORE SG's are even reached. Also, avoiding KS that might change what they offer (particularly when it comes to miniature quality for First Created, or retail packaging) is very difficult, imo.

Perhaps a whitelist would be better. You spend enough money on games that missing out on a few First Created projects won't hurt you -- especially if they get reprinted.

But if no one supports first time projects there probably wont be many second time projects... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.