Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
When at a convention, if the game you wanted was only at one booth, would you prefer it were available at a publisher or a retail store booth? (I like buying from the publisher because it feels good, but I also like retails shops because they don't have sales pressure).
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I like to buy from the publisher's booth
49.1% 54
I like to buy from a retail store booth
1.8% 2
I don't care
49.1% 54
Voters 110
This poll is now closed.   110 answers
Poll created by lammyrock
Closes: Mon May 15, 2017 6:00 am
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cheapest option. whistle

(But hey, I am Dutch).
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer to support the publisher directly.

That said, TMG wanted $80 for copies of Orleans at last year's GenCon. Twenty feet away, CSI had Ding & Dent copies for $40. I ain't no sucker.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
The cheapest option. whistle


Yeah, I didn't put that as the option because everyone would choose cheapest.

I'm mostly curious if anyone else likes buying from publisher's booths (and I'm trying to decide why I feel that way).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it's only at one booth then isn't it a moot point?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like with the FLGS vs. OLGS argument, you could find me supporting my FLGS when they hosted our weekly game nights. Now, with no such benefits, I just buy online.

amish_rabbi wrote:
If it's only at one booth then isn't it a moot point?
That probably could've been worded better, but I'm assuming he means only 1 pub. and one retailer had it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like buying direct from the publisher booth at a con, all other things being equal.

There was this once, though. A small publisher was selling their game at a con, and offered play opportunities. I played it, enjoyed it, but asked about the sign "con special $55" price. What was the regular price? $50, but I wont have to pay shipping...

I skipped it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I like buying direct from the publisher booth at a con, all other things being equal.

There was this once, though. A small publisher was selling their game at a con, and offered play opportunities. I played it, enjoyed it, but asked about the sign "con special $55" price. What was the regular price? $50, but I wont have to pay shipping...

I skipped it.
So they didn't have copies on hand... you buy it there, and they would have it shipped it to you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Neither? I enjoy the auctions and flea markets some have, as you never know what you might find.

I also limit myself to ONE set of new dice from the Chessex booth, though they're not a publisher per se.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to buy fro. The publisher, but some times the price is too high compared to the retailer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
I like buying direct from the publisher booth at a con, all other things being equal.

There was this once, though. A small publisher was selling their game at a con, and offered play opportunities. I played it, enjoyed it, but asked about the sign "con special $55" price. What was the regular price? $50, but I wont have to pay shipping...

I skipped it.
So they didn't have copies on hand... you buy it there, and they would have it shipped it to you?


The choice was $55 there or $50 plus shipping from their website.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Neither? I enjoy the auctions and flea markets some have, as you never know what you might find.

I also limit myself to ONE set of new dice from the Chessex booth, though they're not a publisher per se.


I admire your self control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for the publisher's booth, as that would be the first place I go to if I am instered in a specific game. Not only are they probably more knowledgeable about the game, but they also might have additional promotional materials. So that would be my first choice.

That being said, sometimes the price difference is so big that I go to the retailer.

Retailers are also more likely to have older games, and those are especially cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm assuming he means only 1 pub. and one retailer had it.


I think many publisher have the option to either sell their own games at their booth or ask a retailer to bulk up on their games because they don't want to sell at their booth. So, the heart of the question is "do you like when publishers sell their own games at their booth, or do you prefer the retailer booth regardless. -thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When Asmodee owns it all, will it matter?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
I voted for the publisher's booth, as that would be the first place I go to if I am instered in a specific game. Not only are they probably more knowledgeable about the game, but they also might have additional promotional materials. So that would be my first choice.

That being said, sometimes the price difference is so big that I go to the retailer.

Retailers are also more likely to have older games, and those are especially cheap.
In practice, has that held true? Nevermind that most of us here'll use this site to look up what they need, and can up to and including research the hell out of a game. I'd always be concerned about conflicts of interest. Namely, they're still salesman, and I'd reckon they're busy enough that there's a limit to even what they'd know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanwen Dong
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It's just a hobby
Avatar
mb
Suppose I haven't been to large conventions. The smaller conventions that I have been to always have very fair prices. Picked up a copy of scythe for $56 at a booth in a regional con last month. I ain't mad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
montanus wrote:
I voted for the publisher's booth, as that would be the first place I go to if I am instered in a specific game. Not only are they probably more knowledgeable about the game, but they also might have additional promotional materials. So that would be my first choice.

That being said, sometimes the price difference is so big that I go to the retailer.

Retailers are also more likely to have older games, and those are especially cheap.
In practice, has that held true? Nevermind that most of us here'll use this site to look up what they need, and can up to and including research the hell out of a game. I'd always be concerned about conflicts of interest. Namely, they're still salesman, and I'd reckon they're busy enough that there's a limit to even what they'd know.


The cons I attend aren't famous enough to draw big name publishers. Instead the publishers are always small, and almost always the designer is part of the crew. For example, I've bought from Bézier games, and been taught the game play by Ted Alspach. He is pretty much an expert on his own games, I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not there to buy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say I would buy from the cheapest source, unless there was some special deal.

I've seen this sort of topic come up on the Gen Con forums over the years. Inevitably, some show up and proclaim that we should pay full retail from the publisher..."how can you not support them at the convention,?" they ask.

If it is a couple bucks, perhaps, but as in the example above? When you're talking $10, $20, $30 plus bucks...??? When I've commented in those threads, my position was that the publisher should at least try to throw you a bone. I'm sure there's some legal arrangement where the publisher can't undersell their distributers at the same venue...otherwise why would a distributer even consider selling the publisher's product? HOWEVER, if the publisher sold at retail, but then threw in a mini expansion, a promo or two, or SOMETHING to sweeten the deal, then it would at least get me to consider. Now you'd have the choice of paying less, or paying full retail but getting a "bonus" to justify the extra expense.

Back to the Gen Con example: When I attend Gen Con, I need to fly in (I'm in California). I avoid buying anything I can just Amazon when I get home...usually Amazon is cheaper plus I don't have to carry it back on the plane. I try to focus on stuff I don't usually see on Amazon, MM, or CSI, OR stuff that would be either hard to find or the shipping costs would off-set just buying it there.

The only exception I would make would be if a vendor provided something value-added: A demo and explanation of the game (that I liked),or if the designer/author was on-hand to sign my copy of the game (I've only done that twice...one RPG product, and Wiz-War).

I imagine some of the same reasoning for supporting your FLGS applies to this topic as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
I would say I would buy from the cheapest source, unless there was some special deal.

I've seen this sort of topic come up on the Gen Con forums over the years. Inevitably, some show up and proclaim that we should pay full retail from the publisher..."how can you not support them at the convention,?" they ask.

If it is a couple bucks, perhaps, but as in the example above? When you're talking $10, $20, $30 plus bucks...??? When I've commented in those threads, my position was that the publisher should at least try to throw you a bone. I'm sure there's some legal arrangement where the publisher can't undersell their distributers at the same venue...otherwise why would a distributer even consider selling the publisher's product? HOWEVER, if the publisher sold at retail, but then threw in a mini expansion, a promo or two, or SOMETHING to sweeten the deal, then it would at least get me to consider. Now you'd have the choice of paying less, or paying full retail but getting a "bonus" to justify the extra expense.

Back to the Gen Con example: When I attend Gen Con, I need to fly in (I'm in California). I avoid buying anything I can just Amazon when I get home...usually Amazon is cheaper plus I don't have to carry it back on the plane. I try to focus on stuff I don't usually see on Amazon, MM, or CSI, OR stuff that would be either hard to find or the shipping costs would off-set just buying it there.

The only exception I would make would be if a vendor provided something value-added: A demo and explanation of the game (that I liked),or if the designer/author was on-hand to sign my copy of the game (I've only done that twice...one RPG product, and Wiz-War).

I imagine some of the same reasoning for supporting your FLGS applies to this topic as well.
Isn't there an "uproar" about offering exclusives that are only available at cons (or kickstarters at that), but not anywhere else? I'd figured more of their sales are to the general public (that do NOT attend these cons) then the attendees.

And even if those mini-expansions are available to the general public, wouldn't this still constitute undercutting their distributors by offering "more for less"?

.

When at Gen Con 2013, I did regret buying Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak expansion at MSRP when it was available a mere 1 to 2 weeks later at online discount prices (25 to 35% off). I thought it would be like the base game where back in 2007, those who went to Gen Con were able to get it 3 months ahead of the general public. FWIW, I got an oversized, FFG board game bag with the game, but eh... live and learn.

And unlike yourself, I drove to Gen Con then, so yeah, I at least didn't have to worry about limited luggage via flying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the many reasons I love Dice Tower Con. They have the best of both worlds. Publishers booths where you can buy some great games, many before they're out to the general population (I bought the new edition of Catacombs from the publisher there last summer). They also have a huge area set up from CoolStuffInc, new ding and dent stuff every day for REALLY great prices, plus you can order from the website and have the game delivered to the con!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.