Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this question asked multiple times here on these forums, and answered multiple different ways, and was looking to see if there was some consensus as to the correct answer.

For Major Raids, there is a +3 modifier for detection, but what if the raid is a Major Raid with Luftwaffe Depletion Level 2? Now, the very fine, awesome flip book I found in the files section (and is available on Decision games own website) states that a Major Raid (Depletion level 0 or 1) is a +3 modifier, but a Major Raid with Depletion level 2 is just a +1. However, in looking at the map where the table with the modifiers is listed, it could be interpreted as a +4 modifier for Major Raids with Depletion Level 2.

The table says: Major Raid +3 (note, there is no mention of Depletion level, just "Major Raid +3") and then "Major Raid (Depletion level 2) +1". I am reading this as there is the initial +3 modifier for the Major Raid, and then an additional +1 if it's Depletion Level 2 (not at all unlike the very next modifier listed which is if it's a Follow Up raid, +1 (to what's already been calculated).

What say you all....is a Major Raid with Depletion Level 2 a +1 or a +4 modifier?

Thanks,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Good
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it as a +1 as, historically, the reduced number of bomber gruppen after depletion kicked in would have been either been more spread out (less planes to see) or condensed in a smaller group (less easy to spot)

Pip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started playing this game (and still haven't received all of the components...no Player Aid Charts/Tables...using the Flipbook for most of them, and a BGG user was kind enough to scan and send me a copy of the Night Raid tables---Decision Games says they have mailed the missing charts out, but it's been over a week now...) And now in my 9th game, I've only reached Luftwaffe depletion level 2 once, and during that time, I was playing with the +1 only modifier (although I screwed up and still gave the Luftwaffe full replacements each Raid Day even though on DL 2--maybe that's why I only got a Tactical Victory).

But in reading through the forums here, I've kind of decided that the +4 might be the proper mechanic. But in reading the rules and map charts, I can see it both ways. Hence the question...

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The detection modifier for a major raid when the Germans are at Depletion Level 2 is +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John, thanks for the response! It's always nice to get a definitive response from the designer himself!

Loving RAF so far..hasn't left my kitchen table since I first set it up 3 weeks ago. Really looking forward to the supposed reprint of D-Day at Omaha Beach I've heard is planned for the summer.

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.