Hide
4 Posts

The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Early multi-hour turn/objectives moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim DeWolfe
msg tools
It seems possible that the Confederate side might be able to squeeze out a slight advantage in terms of objective moves using a multi-hour turn early in the game. In my limited number of plays, the early part of the first day has mostly been 1-hour turns as the Confederates declare attack orders to continue pushing forward. In the last game, it seemed that maybe they could benefit by declaring a multi-hour turn.

The potential benefit was in objective moves.

A 3-hour turn was possible. In the next three hours, the Union possibly would have three objective moves. With a 3-hour turn declaration, those three Union objective moves would have to be split, and the Union couldn’t move a single objective more than one area. In my other games, the Union often moved the same objective on consecutive turns to retreat from advancing forces. Therefore denying the Union that chance was an interesting possibility.

There are of course disadvantages as well as other advantages to an early multi-hour turn. This was just an idea that had not occurred to me before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If timed correctly it can win the game on day one, I timed a 3 hour turn so that I had 1 one hour turn left at the end of the day and in that longt turn I put one of the objectives under my FoF from 2 units as I extended my line, next turn they had one attack chance but couldn't dislodge both unoits and with night being the next turn I "won".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
If timed correctly it can win the game on day one, I timed a 3 hour turn so that I had 1 one hour turn left at the end of the day and in that longt turn I put one of the objectives under my FoF from 2 units as I extended my line, next turn they had one attack chance but couldn't dislodge both unoits and with night being the next turn I "won".

The Confederates can't win on 1 July:

"At the end of any Union action phase on 2 or 3 July, if the Union
player does not fully control all 3 objectives, and he does not declare
Attack general orders for his next turn, then the game ends and the
Confederates win."

Taking an objective right before nightfall can indeed win on 2 or 3 July, but not on 1 July. If an objective were taken right before nightfall on 1 July, the Union would have the morning turns on 2 July to try to retake the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(can't lose, I assume you meant to say)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.