11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Wyrm seems kinda fishy to me... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Søndergård
Denmark
flag msg tools
Can anyone please explaing to me why Wyrm exists?

I cant come up with any ideas involving wyrm being cheap or allround good.
Sure thing its a AI but cmon. The costs are just out of this world.

I might be negative, but i was going to make a crispy combo with that and YOG.0 and datasucker and stuff like that. Apparently you can only "modify" ice when the tool youre "modifying" with is at the same strenght as that excact ice.

I would have loved to reduce AI strenght to 3 but is there any way you can make Wyrm Great Again. Trump cant.
Any ideas?

This information is needed for a deck to be used at a tournament in Denmark on the 19 February. Rush people, Rush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrm may have seen play when the core set was first released, if only because there were limited options. As far as the AI component goes, I always thought Wyrm was 1] too expensive to do its job efficiently and 2] still required support cards because of the ICE interaction strength requirement. Why play Wyrm when Crypsis was available? Although somewhat expensive to install (and keep it charged with virus counters), it was more versatile than Wyrm.

TLDR: Listen to your intuition- don't use Wyrm. Many better choices out there, unless you're participating in a Jank Tourney. BTW, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, everyone just lowers the ICE strength with Datasucker. And while that requires successful runs on centrals first, I don't think that there is any reason to play Wyrm when you could play Datasucker and the fixed-strength breakers instead.

(Yes, Data Sucker can be purged, and the runner locked out as a result. But still.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrm exists so you can use the fixed breakers in Anarch more effectively. But yeah, it is basically awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Søndergård
Denmark
flag msg tools
Could Wyrm be used with Parasite to destroy ICE.
Example: As he rezzes a piece of ice being encountered, you use clone chip to install parasite on that ice, and pay worm to that strenght and lowers the ICE to 0 afterwards.

Does parasite destroy ice that is 0 or less even during a run? Is this possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier in the game's life I would use Wyrm and Parasite to surprise destroy an ice cascade on R&D and Medium/Demo Run. You needed to spend your influence on personal workshop and clone chip to really make it work well. It took a lot of setup and was very telegraphed once someone saw it once. At the time low strength ice was pretty much all you saw so it wasn't actually that expensive to break one cascade of ice. If your opponent wasn't expected that then you could really put them in a bad situation. It was never a tournament winning deck, but it was a fun deck when it worked.

Now I'm not sure Wyrm has much of a place anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once there was a sweet Nasir deck with Wyrm and Parasites that would trash all encountered ice for nasir-credits. Wyrm was a blast there. But then the MWL showed up and it's all gone.

Now Anarchs have better ways to destoy ice and others have not enough influence for both Parasites and Wyrm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Migando wrote:
Can anyone please explaing to me why Wyrm exists?

I cant come up with any ideas involving wyrm being cheap or allround good.
Sure thing its a AI but cmon. The costs are just out of this world.

Outside of the core set, Wyrm is pretty much unplayable.

Within the core set preconstructed deck, Wyrm has an incredibly fringe use. Here's my best argument for its use:

Let's say the corp has an agenda behind a tollbooth, and has locked up the centrals behind a lot of ICE. If you haven't installed Crypsis, you're pretty much dead in the water.

Unless...

Wyrm to the rescue! Install for 1, run on tollbooth, take the 3-credit hit, spend 4 to raise strength, 1 to lower tollbooth strength, and 0 to break with Yog! Whoo-hoo! Only 9 credits and 2 clicks! (Crypsis would have cost you 14 credits and 3 clicks)

OR

Let's say you've parasited the two pieces of ICE in front of R&D, but they're strong and the corp keeps purging virus counters. You've got a medium, and you want to dig, but it's just too expensive to make multiple runs against defended central servers.

Unless...

Drop Wyrm and fire off a Stimahck! Up and down, pay your money, kill the ice! Now you've got two clicks left to run on an unguarded R&D. And on the corp's turn, they have to choose between installing new ice (which you can probably break at least once) or purging virus tokens (which will leave R&D undefended for another turn. Either way, you're seeing 4 cards.

Yeah, in those two situations, Wyrm might be marginally useful.

But still, probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dom
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I know this is late, but you can also lower the cost of wyrm significantly with Cyber Feeders and the one anarch console (Spinal oe Neural something or other) gives you a total of 5 recurring creds to use on icebreakers, those plus parasites could work. Thats lots of cards though....

EDIT: And once you get to spin cycle you can use bishops to lower the strength of ICE by 2 for free.

EDIT: Also remember Ice Carver from core.

EDIT: LOL keep coming up with more ideas. The Personal Touch will boost its strength permanently. Also Dinosaurus (in a Genesys cycle datapack) could host Wyrm for 2 more strength and make it not count for MU. So thats a total of +5 strength and 5 recurring creds all from your rig. Then lowering a big bad ICE with bishop if needed, and parasiting it. And ofc Datasucker should always be in there.

So here are the cards so far:
Wyrm (Program)
Parasite (Program)
Datasucker (Program-Virus)
Bishop (Program)
Deja Vu (Event (get 2 parasites back))
Dinosaurus (you have to go with this OR the anarch console. I'd go with this)(Hardware(Console))
Cyberfeeder (you want 3 of these)(Hardware)
Bishop (Program)
Ice Carver (Resource)

That is a ton of building that all benefits Wyrm. All ICE is a target once the rig is up, but it would cost ALOT without recurring hardware credits (Inside Man) or program creds (Sahasrara)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elliwc02 wrote:
Also Dinosaurus (in a Genesys cycle datapack) could host Wyrm for 2 more strength
Dinosaurus cannot host AI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.