James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(after posting a while ago looking for games with a mechanic, this is a little more researched & thought out)

Yeah, i know, two kinda different, kinda similar gaming types here.
Tile Laying, and Card Laying. As well as Card Playing / Adventuring.

I love the Multipurpose cards in Legends Untold, as well as the Card Laying Map. The "map cards" have good information & choices. The barriers, traps etc... offer lots of choice.

Unknown has really smart Tile interaction -- not just laying out a random map... it's even responsible for an intelligent Enemy AI. (and there's combat.

The Cave really has the "Explore" and "peril" in aces, even without combat - again, tile laying is more than just making a map, it's interactive and really affects choices (beyond directional).

One Deck Dungeon, again, clever multipurpose cards, nice ratcheting up of difficulty and skill. Though all combat, it feels like character development, and can be brutal.

--I also like games like Pathfinder, Mistfall and Warhammer Adventure Card Game... all have abstracted movement/adventuring with location cards etc...

I DON'T like games of random map grids like DistrictZ, Slaughterhouse, or tile games like Zombies.

And must SOLO (or coop multi-hand).

Thoughts?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it fits your description of tile interaction and not just random maps, but have you looked at Mage Knight Board Game? You explore the map and the placement of the map tiles is random, but each tile has several things on it to do.
Be Aware that this is a very long and heavy game with lots of rules. It is also more of an optimization puzzle than an adventure game, so I'm not sure if it fits. It is probably also the most-loved solo game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is worth a look for sure.

There is Dungeon Alliance currently on Kickstarter, which might also fit.

Gloomhaven, but it is hard to get at the moment (there is talk about a second KS later this year), as there are like 10x more preorders than retail copies.

A small game in the Mistfall universe: Shadowscape.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niek NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I just wanted to say i'm looking for the EXACT same game(s) and elements in a game!

The examples you give are my favourites (Unknown, The Cave), and I would add Sub Terra as well.

I haven't played Legends Untold, but what I've read and seen, this is totally what i'm looking for. EXCEPT for the fact that I REALLY don't like the them It's the same old fantasy theme, with goblins, and only in dungeons It breaks my heart, because the game itself has everything I want in a game!

I was wondering, did you found more games in the mean time? Anything very similar to for example 'Legends Untold', but with another theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.