Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a game designer in a bilingual city like Montreal means having to print 2 prototypes: one in French, one in English. And changing two whenever we update stuff. So I've decided to go with icons. It's going pretty well, but there are a few concepts where I am blank-paging for icons.

In the game, there are resource cards which can either be used for their number value, to pay for stuff, or for their special effect. On the card, they are represented by something like "2 / power icon". I have a power in the game which allow you to use two cards of the same value for the effect of another card type (e.g. discarding 2 2-Boats to do the action of a 2-Gold card). The icon I have so far is this:

Which is neither clear nor pretty.

I'm also looking for an idea for an icon that would represent "cost". The game is about cartography, and players pay resources (Gold, Boats, Knowledge, Diplomacy) to map regions. I can't come up with an icon that says "cost" without it being money-related.

Finally, there's an effect in the game which allows you to use 2's as 1's or 3's. In the game, resource cards go from 1-3 in buying ability, and 1's have stronger powers than 2's, and 2's than 3's. This power allows you to turn the jack-of-all-trade 2's into a 3 when buying, or a 1 when using its power. So far, all I have is:

Any thoughts are welcome. And this is simply to aid playtesting and pitching, not for a final product, for which a professional graphic designer will be consulted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
JVallerand wrote:

I'm also looking for an idea for an icon that would represent "cost". The game is about cartography, and players pay resources (Gold, Boats, Knowledge, Diplomacy) to map regions. I can't come up with an icon that says "cost" without it being money-related.

Have your 4 cost symbols each be in the same shape outline. for example you have them all in circles. Gold could be a $ in a green circle. Boat could be an anchor in a blue circle, knowledge could be a lightbulb in a yellow circle, and diplomacy could be a hand shake in red circle (or some other colour). The generic "any cost" symbol could be a circle with 4 quadrants (green, blue, yellow and green).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
JVallerand wrote:

Have your 4 cost symbols each be in the same shape outline. for example you have them all in circles. Gold could be a $ in a green circle. Boat could be an anchor in a blue circle, knowledge could be a lightbulb in a yellow circle, and diplomacy could be a hand shake in red circle (or some other colour). The generic "any cost" symbol could be a circle with 4 quadrants (green, blue, yellow and green).

I guess I missed some key information. Cost in the game is always cards which sum 7+ in 3 specific colors. Resources already have an icon and color, but cost is never related to them.

Still, your idea to have a divided circle would be interesting, but... that symbol is already used for a wild resource in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Why can't you take the resource symbol and slap an impact font '7+' on top of it? So it serves a reminder of hey, I need these things which total this amount to do this thing? even if the amount is always the same, having the number there will cement that idea for new players while simultaneously serving as a recognizable representation of cost within the context of your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.