Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the card-building in Mystic Vale, and have had ideas for using this mechanism. However, I'm unsure about how to proceed with creating a prototype for it. As you know, early prototypes should be cheap and easily made/changeable, and my first idea (projector transparencies I stole from my teacher wife) has shown to be quite hard to work with.

Given that it's a new, innovative mechanism which has seen critical acclaim, I'm sure others have worked on projects which feature this mechanism. What have you done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
First thing that comes to mind is using card sleeves and writing in them with a sharpie. Should be pretty cheap. But, it might help to know what problems you're having with the projector transparencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smackwell wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is using card sleeves and writing in them with a sharpie. Should be pretty cheap. But, it might help to know what problems you're having with the projector transparencies.

Well, the sleeves come down to the same thing really.

I can either write on them, or glue something. Writing comes off after being put in a sleeve multiple times (which is the core of the game), unless done with a permanent marker (in which case the transparency can't be changed afterwards). I've ended up gluing white paper to the transparencies to write on those (as they're erasable), but again, constant use (shuffling, going into and out of sleeves, writing, erasing) makes the paper come off quickly, and it's quite time consuming.

My next try was to go the opposite route: instead of putting text on a transparent background, I've started with a card and cut out places without information. However, even on thick cardstock, these are un-shufflable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gotcha. You could try some Scotch tape on the transparencies. If you get the "Invisible" kind, which has a matte finish to it, you can write on that with a good ol' #2 pencil. The tape takes the lead pretty well and is fairly transparent, and will erase very well. You could invest in some softer lead (darker) pencils if the #2 is too hard to read, or mark them up with a permanent marker and simply replace the tape when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This stuff might work:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought would be, those thin post-it notes (I think they call them flags, or something like that). Take a card out of sleeve, add a post-it flag along the appropriate part of the card, put it back into the sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.