Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
From EN World:
Quote:
Family and industry friends are reporting that seminal game designer Loren Wiseman has passed away. The exact cause of death is not yet known, but he has had long term health issues.

Wiseman co-founded Game Designers' Workshop with Frank Chadwick, Rich Banner, and Marc Miller in 1973, and co-designed Traveller with Marc Miller and others. After GDW closed in the mid-90s, Wiseman joined Steve Jackson Games and ended up developing and writing the GURPS edition of Traveller for them. He was the "Traveller Guru" for Steve Jackson Games until the GURPS Traveller line was discontinued in 2015.

In 2003 Wiseman was inducted into the Origins Hall of Fame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
A fine gentleman who gave me my first paying gig in the hobby. Thanks for sharing your universe, sir. RIP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So say we all.

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news. I really enjoyed Wiseman's take on the Third Imperium in the GURPS Traveller books, which he oversaw; those books actually were what made me start reading the original Traveller material, which had mostly passed me by in the late 1970s and 1980s.

RIP, Mr Wiseman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
So say we all.

mb

Best sentiments to the family - and thank you Mr. Wiseman.

+1 So say we all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sad to hear this. I never met the man, but having been a GDW fan back in the day I've known his name for more than 40 years. Mr. Wiseman's design of Eagles was absolutely brilliant, incorporating fog of war seamlessly in an extremely playable fashion that Avalon Hill wisely chose to republish (along with additional scenarios) as Caesar's Legions. The best scenario in that excellent game is titled Idavisto, which is in fact Wiseman's Eagles. I'm going to pull it off the shelf tonight and reminisce.

Should any of his family or loved ones see this thread, I'd like to convey my deep condolences and respect. May he rest in peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.