Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you retired other games because of Gloomhaven? Were there any games you were expecting to fire because of Gloomhaven but have changed your mind once you actually got to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really...but I feel like I could wait years for the new Myth stuff and be okay now. Unlike many, I'm a huge Myth fan, and I still prefer the card play of the game to Gloomhaven....but Gloomhaven gets soooooo many things right that it's hard to overlook.

Note that I consider myself more of a eurogamer, so I don't have a lot of dungeon crawl experience outside of Myth, Descent, and HeroQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wakefield
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Huge myth fan here too, am hoping gloomhaven will hold me over until I get all of the myth stuff delivered. September is so far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstr wrote:
Have you retired other games because of Gloomhaven? Were there any games you were expecting to fire because of Gloomhaven but have changed your mind once you actually got to play?

It's going to have to, or I will have no place to store it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, funny you should mention Myth stuff, I guess in my case that stuff will have to do before I get my hands on Gloomhaven, highly doubt I'll receive my pre-order...

But to answer OP, I expect GH to retire Descent for good in my gaming group, time will tell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
lstr wrote:

Well it probably fires Mage Knight as a multiplayer, but its not like Ive played tons of Mage Knight to be sure anyway.

The bigger question is.. I backed Gloomhaven, Sword & Sorcery, Folklore, Dark Souls and Kingdom Death. Will any of the others be anywhere close to this good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I haven't gotten my preorder copy yet, let alone a notice, (shakes fist) I have a feeling that Gloomhaven is going to fire Descent 2.0.

I was always the Overload as I owned it all and I never really liked that. Yes I know they now have an app that is supposed to fix that but I own every single expansion and you lose all sorts of scenarios by just using the app. Plus I got Mansions of Madness if I want an app fix.

I got so much Descent stuff (Everything available with 2 big plano cases to store it all) but I feel there is no way my group is going to want to play a 2nd dungeon crawler when we still play all sorts of other games.

Plus, I am sure by the time we actually finish a full Gloomhaven campaign, there should be an expansion for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it has killed Descent for me and the wife. We were playing with the Road to Legend app, which is great, but Gloomhaven is much more fun and immersive for us.

I may still play Descent in the normal one v. many mode, but the co-op mode that was so exciting is now kinda meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was likely to get rid of Mage Knight anyhow, but now it will go for sure. This does indeed 'fire' it - and frankly, any other dungeon crawler for the moment.

The only one that has a chance of surviving is the upcoming Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. Really looking forward to that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my Assault on Doomrock expansion because I feel like I no longer need it. In many ways, Gloomhaven is what AoD should have been: a great adventure style game with good tactical combat. I expected Gloomhaven to fire AoD completely but I am still keeping the AoD base game because it's much better suited for occasional (i.e. non-regular) game nights than Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those considering "firing" Decent 2.0, I'd suggest thinking twice assuming you've used or may use the RtoL app. The thing it has going for it is the ability to continually improve the experience with future campaigns. There's so much "evergreen" potential in that thing.

If I were Fantasy Flight, Gloomhaven would be something that would push me to take future RtoL campaigns to the next level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not fire, maybe, but Descent 2.0 is definitely being laid off until I finish this campaign. And by then, I may be buying Descent 3.0, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has been playing a Myth campaign prior to Gloomhaven arriving. I will be selling or trading my copy of Myth and one of my two base sets of Shadows over Brimstone. Will keep the other Brimstone and Descent first ed with Road to Legend campaign though.

I expect ALL of my other games to get less play time once Gloomhaven arrives though because I anticipate it becoming an obsession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to get rid of Descent 1st ed plus expansions. It's the best dungeon crawler I've gotten to know, but lately it was more like "I want a dungeon crawl, so I guess I'll have to host Descent". Not much fun as the Overlord, unfortunately. So, let's go into 2P Gloomhaven. I guess that will quench the dungeon crawl for quite some … years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To answer the question: no, as most dungeon crawlers are too simple and luck driven for my taste, so there isn't much competition, and I always keep games I like while I always give away games that don't stand the test of time. Other Euro inspired crawlers will stay in my collection, except for maybe Gears of War because the theme doesn't get me, and other Adventure/Euro hybrids will stay as well if they are fun enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It has definitely fired Descent, although we were never close. Always had it up for performance review.

It has laid off D&DAS. Even with all the mods I'm using, Gloomhaven does all of that better.

It may be a long time until Shadows of Brimstone comes back too.

It has moved to the back burner(maybe actually off the stove entirely) the second chance I was going to give Myth.

I don't see Space Cadets:Away Missions making it back for a solo game. Will probably play it with friends. Although the set up time for both is so similar, and less fiddly in Gloomhaven.

Could easily say, "well, if we have 3 hours anyway, let's get some serious Gloomhaven in!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am already in the process of offloading my Descent collection (1st and 2nd edition). We will finish the Mice and Mystics campaign and then probably trade that game away as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
To answer the question: no, as most dungeon crawlers are too simple and luck driven for my taste, so there isn't much competition

+1.

There are some things I don't like about Gloomhaven, but this is the only solitaire-suitable board game dungeon crawl that I would recommend to a serious gamer.

Looking forward to more of these kind of weighty, brain-burny dungeon crawls to crop up and emulate Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

Looking forward to more of these kind of weighty, brain-burny dungeon crawls to crop up and emulate Gloomhaven.

you mean gloomhaven 2 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice & Mystics is now gone, Shadows of Brimstone will go next, Descent 2 - damn but I don't have a lot of painted figures and the app is cool...

Regardless, until we get our fill, Gloomhaven is THE dungeon crawler that hits the table now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy St.Yves
msg tools
mb
To answer the subject line: Yes... all of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lstr wrote:
I was a Myth apologist for a bit, but I'm letting it go because I've come to believe that it won't be developed enough for me to truly enjoy it. Which drives me crazy, because there's so much potential. I didn't mind the awkward rules and making on the fly decisions originally, but Gloomhaven feels both more refined and more accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least for the foreseeable future it has fired all other solo gaming for me.

It's also cured my cult of the new issue (for how long I have no idea).

I think I have three KS games (including my Arcadia Quest Inferno bundle) arriving in the next week and have absolutely no interest in even opening the shipping boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already sold MK and Mice & Mystics and never owned the ill-born child D2E so there is little to replace. D1E Road to Legend is uncomparable (and a huge ballback more complex) but else in the same category. SWIA may go in the long run or the old or new Doom, we gonna see.

Or maybe I just get rid of all the euros I still have aside Infamy... Puerto Rico, Francis Drake, Alien Frontiers. Its not like I'd lose a lot ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault and Shadows of Brimstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.