GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,587 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: Novice GM Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Griffin
United States
East Fallowfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I will be running a tournament at WBC for the first time this year (Terra Mystica) and am looking for advice from experienced GMs. In particular I am interested in thoughts on how soon before the event start time I should expect players to start showing up, how long after the start time I should wait for stragglers and what GM tools are available (I plan to check out Andy Latto's GM speadsheet, but would like to hear about any other useful tools). I also wonder if there is any correlation between # of votes for a trial event and the number of player who turn up for the event. Advice on anything I should be sure to do (or pitfalls to avoid) would be welcome, as well.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might reach out to Claire Brosius (public.brosius@comcast.net), the Ticket to Ride GM. She runs a really professional event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! Welcome to the adventure that is GMing. Rule #1: Have fun! The thing to remember is that a little preparation now can save you many headaches later. Do you have Asst GM's lined up? Do you have your tiebreakers figured out? How many people will be at each table? How will you determine seating? These are the types of things that you are best off planning well ahead of time.

To address your questions:

I would plan to be at your tournament location with kiosk and sign-in forms at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled start time. If you can wrangle one of your assistants into handling the sign in process, please do--you will have plenty of other things going on.
When I run events, there is no time allotted for stragglers. Once the official time hits, I assign tables and we begin. Remember, you only have the room for a specified period of time, and it isn't fair to people coming in for later events for your tourney to run over. Start on time so you can end on time.

With a new event, it can be hard to predict how many people will show up, and there is not always a correlation of votes to players. 1776 used to be the highest vote getter every year, and only 12 people would show up to play. But 300+ played Splendor in it's first year, so be prepared for a large turnout just in case.

I hope this helps some. Read and re-read the tournament guidelines. Most of your answers are there. When in doubt, don't be afraid to reach out and ask someone. Plenty of people are willing to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first year as a GM (Five Tribes), and all in all it went much better than I expected. As others here have stated, the best advice is to show up prepared. In the weeks leading up to the con, I prepared custom scoresheets, worked out a scoring spreadsheet in Excel, made meeple table tents, purchased a couple extra copies of the game, and read through BGG familiarizing myself potential rules issues which might arise. The day before our first heat I scouted out the room where it was being held. This is especially important if you get stuck in one of the outlying or hard to find rooms (e.g. Festival Hall).
On game day, I typically showed up between 15 and 20 minutes early to set up and begin signing people in, which worked well. We had about 30-40 people per heat, so it wasn't a terribly large crowd to manage. I tried to accommodate stragglers where possible, so long as they didn't cause any major disruption, especially the room I was in was a little hard to find. As I recall, I only had a few stragglers and managed to accommodate all of them while the games were being set up (there were usually one or two tables with 3 players, and I could add another if needed.) I also enlisted my son to act as a standby player in case I needed to add a player to optimize the number of players at each table. During the game be prepared to answer the various rules questions, trivial or obscure, which could arise during the game. Know the rules inside out and study the FAQs or BGG rules forums for the game. When there is a rules question, you will want to act in a fair and decisive manner.
After the event, make sure to update the event standings on the kiosk in a timely fashion. Set aside 30 minutes or so after each round of your event to enter data and keep the standings up to date. If you bring a computer, there is a printer available in Registration where you can print the current standings after each heat.
Above all, have fun. Once you get the hang of GMing it goes pretty smoothly, especially if you arrive prepared. Welcome to the ranks of the WBC GMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Youells wrote:

With a new event, it can be hard to predict how many people will show up, and there is not always a correlation of votes to players. 1776 used to be the highest vote getter every year, and only 12 people would show up to play. But 300+ played Splendor in it's first year, so be prepared for a large turnout just in case.

This is really key. As a GM, my first goal is to get people playing as fast as possible. No one wants to stand around waiting while the GM fumbles through seating procedures. Figure out how many people you want at a table and how many people you're willing to have at a table.

For Air Baron, I want 5 player games, but I'll settle for 4's if I have to. I have a whole matrix drawn up depending on numbers of players. What will I do if 27 people show up? What will I do if 51 people show up? That sort of thing helps speed things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Kevin Youells wrote:

This is really key. As a GM, my first goal is to get people playing as fast as possible. No one wants to stand around waiting while the GM fumbles through seating procedures. Figure out how many people you want at a table and how many people you're willing to have at a table.

For Air Baron, I want 5 player games, but I'll settle for 4's if I have to. I have a whole matrix drawn up depending on numbers of players. What will I do if 27 people show up? What will I do if 51 people show up? That sort of thing helps speed things up.

This times 100 . Have a plan and stick to it for organizing. There are several systems out there for organizing and getting games started. Many are a variant of the "Coussis System" which entail the GM preparing a deck of index cards with the table # and seat number. As soon as the last person signs in, the GM can quickly ascertain how many tables they'll need, then have players randomly draw cards and go to their tables. Another system uses playing cards; this is great for 4P games . As players sign up, the GM has them set up their games and gives them a card , say the 5 of Clubs. When everyone signs in, players draw cards randomly and the 5 of Hearts, Diamonds, Spades go sit at the 5/Club table.

Whatever you do, do not rely on a system that involves calling out players by name, it can take forever. One year I entered a heat of a short game, I think it was Thurn and Taxis. It took nearly a half hour to get started due to some arcane system the GM was using that involved each player having to fill out an index card and god knows what else.

The key is to get players going ASAP. Not only does it ensure that you finish on time and make room for the next GM who needs the space, but it makes it easier for players with tight schedules to make their next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other bit of advice: Don't wait until after the event is over to start thinking about your event report. Include a space on the scoresheet to collect anecdotes or interesting events. Some GMs compile data for a statistical analysis of their games. Be prepared to take notes during the Finals. Take pictures. If you come prepared, the Event Report will practically write itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael makes a great point. The scoresheet Coussis uses for Atlantic Storm has a section under the players score lines for "noteworthy events" . For semi and finals games, be sure to ask players to write down memorable events in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you cannot be at the game location early (e.g., if you are demoing the game immediately before the event), arrange for someone else to begin collecting names, probably 15 minutes before scheduled start time.
2. Collect the kiosk and being it to the event - it will let players know where to congregate to sign up.
3. Keep a list of ANY rules questions that arise, then create a FAQ and update it each year.
4. Remember this should be fun for you and the players.
5. In the rare case where a player is rude to the other players, be assertive but not confrontational.
6. Two things that matter to most players - getting the games started as quickly as possible, and getting done in time to play the next event.
7. Post standings including ranking and tiebreaks after each round, if possible. For some players, tracking possible advancement to semifinals is part of the fun.
8. For a small event, using playing cards to assign tables works fine. For larger events, a more systemetized approach helps to keep things moving.
9. Accommodate stragglers if, but only if, you can without inconveniencing other players.
10. For a new game like Terra Mystica, you may run into a shortage of games. Be prepared to determine who doesn't get to play (typically the ast players to how up without a game) - this may affect how you assign players.

Thanks for being a GM. There would be no WBC without the GMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great recap Chris!

actuaryesquire wrote:
1. If you cannot be at the game location early (e.g., if you are demoing the game immediately before the event), arrange for someone else to begin collecting names, probably 15 minutes before scheduled start time.
2. Collect the kiosk and being it to the event - it will let players know where to congregate to sign up.
3. Keep a list of ANY rules questions that arise, then create a FAQ and update it each year.
4. Remember this should be fun for you and the players.
5. In the rare case where a player is rude to the other players, be assertive but not confrontational.
6. Two things that matter to most players - getting the games started as quickly as possible, and getting done in time to play the next event.
7. Post standings including ranking and tiebreaks after each round, if possible. For some players, tracking possible advancement to semifinals is part of the fun.
8. For a small event, using playing cards to assign tables works fine. For larger events, a more systemetized approach helps to keep things moving.
9. Accommodate stragglers if, but only if, you can without inconveniencing other players.
10. For a new game like Terra Mystica, you may run into a shortage of games. Be prepared to determine who doesn't get to play (typically the ast players to how up without a game) - this may affect how you assign players.

Thanks for being a GM. There would be no WBC without the GMs.

In particular I appreciate point 7. One of the great things about WBC is that it's the only place on earth that I can be among people who share my particular obsessiveness in this regard. I love tournaments and tracking standings, and to be able to do that round to round really is part of the fun.

Thanks for calling it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The biggest problem you have to solve as GM is getting the correct number of games set up as fast as possible so people can begin as shortly after the scheduled time as possible. If people show up after the final call (which I usually do give about 2 or 3 minutes of grace time, but that's because I run Egizia, which is a 75 minute game on a 2 hour block. If I were running, for example, Amun-re, which is a 2:05 hour game on a 2 hour block, I'd be far less laid back), then I've already finalized the number of tables and I'll usually only let them in if the tables aren't evenly filled.

To that end, having an excel sheet such as Andy's is good, because that can quickly tell you how many you already have signed up. If you also have a system for marking tables, (and you'll need something, since a deck of cards won't work cleanly for a 5 player game - 2 decks would though) that can help you track how many games are set up while you're signing people in so you can make the numbers converge.

I expect that you'll have a fairly painless time, though. Terra Mystica may be new at WBC, but it's not exactly a new game anymore, so I expect that between that and the fact that you can run 5 player tables, and the fact that the game is a 3 hour slot (which will both reduce attendance and shift the die-hard:newbie ratio towards the die-hards compared to 2 hour slots), I would guesstimate you'll see between 20 and 50 players per heat, and you'll have plenty of games.

Even so, you should scout the WBC library beforehand so you know whether and how many copies are available should you need to point at somebody and ask them to go get them.

Make sure you're very clear about how factions are to be assigned, because there's several ways to go about it. I think the rules as written allow true ties and if that's the case, you'll need to make up a final tiebreaker. I'd actually just print that stuff right on your scoresheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Novice GM Question
Andrew brings up another good point. Either print it on the scoresheet, or have a separate handout with any FAQ, clarifications, format for the event etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Duffy

Virginia
msg tools
The event I run is rather small, but what I want foremost is to get games going as soon as possible. Get players who bring games to set up ahead of time. Use a simple method for assigning players to games.

And run a demo! People are there to learn new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally people are giving good advice.

One thing not mentioned is the format--do NOT use HSW or HMW, always choose use GM selected tiebreakers.

HSW & HMW have a serious flaw: Essentially HSW the following order tiebreakers:
- Win in first played.
- Most Wins (HMW simply switches these top two criteria)
- Win is second heat played
- Win in third heat played
- Win in fourth heat played.
- Average result of games PLAYED: so Win =1, 2nd = 2, etc. Lowest average score breaks tie in their favor. So a win and 2 seconds = 1.67 Heats that are not played are not counted in the average: So one win AND NO OTHER GAMES PLAYED results in 1.00 (the best possible result)
- Die roll

The problem with this is among all first game winners, if they try for a second win and don't get it, they will be ranked behind all players who won their first heat did not try any further heats (Because none of the "Win in nth heat" tiebreakers apply, leaving the "Average Result" as the deciding tiebreaker. And 1.00 beats anything else.)

- When players realize that continued play can easily hurt their chances, you end up with a large number of the players with "One win and no other result". It gives the GM less information to base rankings for semifinalists and (most importantly) the alternates--which forces the brutally ridiculous die roll to decide. Imagine 20 tied players for 16 spots.
- This discourages continued play and depresses the number of "ass-hours" to ensure the event makes next year's Century or lowers its prize level for next year.
- Also HSW has a further problem of a player with 2nd/1st/1st loses out to 1st/4th/4th, which is totally unfair.

To show an alternative, this is the format I am using for Castles of Burgundy:
- Best result/2nd best/3rd best: So 1st&1st > 1st&2nd > 1st&3rd, etc.
- If still tied: best result in earliest heat. (So 1st/2nd beats 2nd/1st)
- If still tied: Total of scores / Total of winning player's score in all games played. (This rewards close losses.)
- If still tied: (Usually this will players who won their only game played: Lowest 2nd place score / winning score in game that was won by this player.

At the end of the final round, it is pretty simple for me to find finalists and alternates (I have individual player scorecards with their results.):
- Look all players won won one game (which I have checked on their card. I probably have too many to fill the qualifying/alternate slots.
- In that group of winners, look for 2 or 3 game winners: They will definitely qualify! Write them on the top of the qualifier list.
- With the remaining winners, look for 1st&2nd and check to see if that fills the qualifying/alternate slots. Rank using further tiebreakers, if needed.
- If qualifier/alternate list is not filled yet, go to 1st&3rd players & repeat and then 1st&4th, 1st&no other games, 2nd&2nd, etc.

I can get all of the paperwork done to determine the finalists in less than 30 minutes of the end of the final heat with minimal chance of a tie and easy to prove to any player who disputes the result (though this has not happened yet--but I'm ready if it does.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to come up with good advancing / tiebreaker criteria. You definitely don't want to punish someone for playing as many rounds as they want. Ideally, you shouldn't punish someone for skipping a round either,=. That said, it is reasonable for someone to have to play more than one round to advance in a serious competition where the winner is billed as the Champion of that game. On the other hand, it can be a bit silly with all the scheduling conflicts if someone just showing up to a round of a multiplayer game finishing last can be what pushes them over the top.

But almost all of these sorts of things can be mitigated if the format and criteria is clearly laid out beforehand in the event preview. Being available on paper helps too so if I get there early I can look it over really quick without having to interrupt the GM to ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to point out that HSW and HMW is not the scourge that some, such as Richard, believe it is. His hearts in the right place, but there are serious flaws to ranking people the way that he wants to as well.

Can HMW (endorsed by the board) be improved? Sure. But as long as a 1st, and a last place together is ranked above just a first, there's no way that the ranking you are using is fair.

Some games are attended well enough, that people know it will take multiple wins anyway to get in so this becomes a non-issue.

Edit:

In addition, as an example of manipulation that can and has happened...

Formula de. You have to play in more than one heat to advance based on the past 2-3 years as a 1st, and a 9th, is considered better than just a 1st. The joke, is that someone can win their first game, and then join round 2, and intentionally wreck right away so they can go play something else. I've also seen people rush the end of a game because they were trying to finish in 1 hour in a 2 hour time slot because they had already won a game and needed a second play to advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my experience it may take a year or two under your belt before you get the advancement formula where you want it. A lot of the advancement formula depends on how many participants you have in the event, how many people typically show up for the knockout rounds, how many players the game will accommodate, etc. I used the suggested tiebreakers my first year. It worked OK, but I've tweaked the formula a bit for my sophomore effort based on my experiences from last year and discussions I had with participants. For your first year it's more important to have a system of advancement which is fair, that all participants are aware of before about before hand, and which you stick to. Once you have a better feel for the event you can change it to your liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
I've tweaked the formula a bit for my sophomore effort based on my experiences from last year and discussions I had with participants.

In my experience, this is appreciated.

Quote:

For your first year it's more important to have a system of advancement which is fair, that all participants are aware of before about before hand, and which you stick to. Once you have a better feel for the event you can change it to your liking.

This is also great advice. Any rules, tiebreakers, etc. that you want to incorporate - make sure you have it public on the WBC event preview. That way, no one can claim "we didn't know this".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
Can HMW (endorsed by the board) be improved? Sure. But as long as a 1st, and a last place together is ranked above just a first, there's no way that the ranking you are using is fair.

I don't understand. You're saying that if two people both have a 1st place win, but one of them played two games and one played only one, that it's unfair for the person who played more games to get the spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Spleen wrote:

I don't understand. You're saying that if two people both have a 1st place win, but one of them played two games and one played only one, that it's unfair for the person who played more games to get the spot?

Most certainly. Especially if one of them was a last place result. How is it fair that someone who finishes last gets to advance over someone who won in the 1 game they played? If you are looking for who performed the best, it's by far the player who played once.

Here's a sports example. If you are comparing two teams records, one team has played 2 games, and is 1-1, and the other team has played one game and is 1-0, which team is ahead in the rankings? The 1-0 team. Every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Spleen wrote:

Most certainly. Especially if one of them was a last place result. How is it fair that someone who finishes last gets to advance over someone who won in the 1 game they played? If you are looking for who performed the best, it's by far the player who played once.

Here's a sports example. If you are comparing two teams records, one team has played 2 games, and is 1-1, and the other team has played one game and is 1-0, which team is ahead in the rankings? The 1-0 team. Every time.

using sports is somewhat misleading though, since each team will eventually play the same number. There is never a tie breaker used for teams who have unequal games played. (at least not that I'm aware of)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Spleen wrote:

That doesn't follow.

Given that a sample size of two is not that meaningful, the facts are that both players won a game. The tie-breaker being the player who actually played more games (even if he didn't do as well in his other game) seems fair to me, particularly given the reasons previously mentioned for wanting to incentivize people to commit themselves to a game in which they intend to be competitive (i.e., play in more games).

Why should someone who played two games and won one be penalized versus a player who only played (and won) one game? You have no basis for concluding that the player who won 1 out of 1 game is the better player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:

Why should someone who played two games and won one be penalized versus a player who only played (and won) one game? You have no basis for concluding that the player who won 1 out of 1 game is the better player.

Small sample size or not, that's what the WBC is. If you want to know who performed better, the average of all results is more accurate, even though such a small sample size is problematic. The player with one win in one game did better overall than someone with a win and a last place. That's objective fact. It might not mean the one game player is the better player, but in the tournament, it does mean that they performed better.

if you want to make people who don't play more than one game ineligible to advance, then you are achieving your goal by using the methods that you are putting in place. That's not fair by any means. Just because someone wants to play 4 games of something doesn't mean that they are better or perform better than someone who played only 1 or 2. If you are manipulating the advancement procedures to favor the biggest fans of the game, that's not fair. It might keep your regulars coming back, but that doesn't make it fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
using sports is somewhat misleading though, since each team will eventually play the same number. There is never a tie breaker used for teams who have unequal games played. (at least not that I'm aware of)

College football. Some teams play a conference championship game others don't

College Basketball as well. Some teams play in extra tournaments, some play in weird conference brackets where it's possible that one team could play 2-3 games just to get to the point that they play a team that was seeded higher in their first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

Almost forgot:

In the middle of a season, hockey does have tiebreakers specifically for this. If two teams are tied in points, the team with fewer games played is considered to be ahead. if still tied, the team with the most regulation and overtime wins is considered ahead. by end of season this doesn't matter, but I thought it relevant anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.