Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
End game is triggered at 7 from any source. So yes, the 3 from Gallery would trigger the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will end when the total value of any player's neighborhood has reached or exceeded 7.

This counts any provided by a building in that neighborhood. So Statue + Workshop + Gallery (3) would equal 7 and trigger end game.

So would something like Bridge + Obelisk + Museum

-Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If any player has seven or more provided by Buildings in their Neighborhood, the game ends and Scoring takes place.

Quote:
Count the total number of each player earns from Buildings in their Neighborhood.

Can you help me finding the difference? I am of the impression that if the game ends (immediately) after someone got his 7th star, scoring would also go as far as 7 stars? How can someone have more stars that 7 and the game still goes on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only check the number of stars at the beginning of the Upkeep phase, so it's possible for more than one person to reach 7 or for someone to exceed 7 in the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. So the full Upkeep phase is resolved, althoug it says...

Quote:
If any player has seven or more provided by Buildings in their Neighborhood, the game ends and Scoring takes place.

Which made me think that the rest of the Upkeep phase is skipped in favor of immediate scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cullen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Which made me think that the rest of the Upkeep phase is skipped in favor of immediate scoring.

It is skipped and scoring happens immediately.

Start of Upkeep - check if any player has 7 stars or more

Yes? End game and start scoring. No other upkeep steps take place.

No? Continue with another full round (where 1 or more players may reach or exceed 7 stars). Then move onto Upkeep again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. How does this fit together with what Jonathan said? How can anyone have more than 7 stars if the game ends as soon as someone has 7 stars? I don't mean to troll, I am afraid I don't see the obvious.

Edit: I should add that I haven't seen all cards yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Ok, thanks. How does this fit together with what Jonathan said? How can anyone have more than 7 stars if the game ends as soon as someone has 7 stars? I don't mean to troll, I am afraid I don't see the obvious.

Edit: I should add that I haven't seen all cards yet.

The game checks for 7+ points during the Upkeep phase. But you can get 7+ points during the Development Phase, and so can everyone else. The Development Phase is the main phase and this is when people can buy buildings and get points and such. But the check for 7 points happens in the Upkeep phase. So when Upkeep happens you check if someone has 7+ points, if at least one person does, game ends and you tally score. At this point several people could have 7+ points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is, the win condition is not "first to 7 points." The win condition is "player with the most points after the turn where somebody reaches 7 points." If you achieve 9 points (to the other player's 7), you will win even if it was from a building purchase that took place after he reached 7 (on that same turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close

Race Bannon wrote:
The point is, the win condition is not "first to 7 points." The win condition is "player with the most points after the turn development phase where somebody reaches 7 points." If you achieve 9 points (to the other player's 7), you will win even if it was from a building purchase that took place after he reached 7 (on that same turn development phase).

A turn is when someone takes one action and is a small part of the development phase. A development phase is when all players take actions starting with the person with the starting token and proceeds until all players consecutively pass. (page 7 of the rulebook)

Upkeep happens after the development phase has finished, and that is when the end game will trigger. End game never triggers during the development phase, only during upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, here is some GG for you. Now that you say it, it is obvious to me. I must have had a barrier in my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
But.. But...
Is scoring triggered by 7 stars or 7 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 stars.
Although I though Stars = Points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.